Favorite pressure cooker recipes/use?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Favorite pressure cooker recipes/use?

DH got a pressure cooker for Christmas. Do you have any favorite recipes for the pressure cooker? Any thing special you would use the pressure cooker for?

I would really appreciate any and all suggestions! mahalo plenty!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You may not enjoy this but the only thing I use my pressure cooker for is beans.

I've been guilty of overcooking them in the PC, but it sure blows the crock pot/slow cooker away. (i'm sure with many other dishes too)

And beans takes a long time to cook so that's why I love the pc.

Not to mention way more healthier than canned, tastes better and saves money in the long run.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't have one, so can't rec. any specific recipes but this website is my 'first love' for recipes.......and here is their PC recipes.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?categ=16,229

www.allrecipes.com they also have some.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love my pressure cooker. I usually only use it
    for two things. One is to cook a whole chicken
    for dumplings or noodles.

My favorite though is pork steaks. I just put in
    a little bacon grease and a bit of water. They
    become so tender that you can't get them out
    without them falling apart. My Grandson wants
    these everytime he comes to visit.

You might want to check out this site also:

http://missvickie.com/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Check the public library for pressure cooker cookbooks. That's where I got a lot of recipes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So far the only thing we cook in the pressure cooker (which we borrow from my mom next door every time) is venison roast.
    My mom is the one who taught us this & Mr P is the one who cooks it.

the roast is browned on 2 sides in a bit of oil, then add 1 cup water. we vary the seasonings each time, last night he put a bit of beef bouillon cube & some fresh onion in. We like to put rosemary in too. Cooked for 30 min. when done, the roast is removed & a can of cream of mushroom soup stirred in the juices for the gravy. the meat comes out very tender. Everyone loves the gravy too.

Congratulations on your new Pressure cooker! Hope you learn lots of good ways to use it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mahalo for the ideas and the links!!

DH had mentioned several times this year that he had always wanted one, then....... when he opened the box, his comment was "WOW!! I only wanted one to make oxtail soup!!" LOL - well, now he'll find a lot more things to make.

Palooka - I was going to use it for beans first thing - great minds you know!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Roast with potatoes, carrots & onions. Add enough water to cover the roast, some bouillon cubes and pepper to taste. When done, make some gravy using the broth and add back to the roast.

Beef tips and thin gravy.

I've used mine to make pear halves in light syrup. You only have to pressure them a couple of minutes. Let cool and place in a "laid down flat" ziploc bag & gently add the syrup and freeze with the bag laid flat. These make great pear salads.

& I do the beans too.

Be sure to NEVER fill the pc over 2/3rds full. Explosion waiting to happen. Guess how I know?

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Palooka - I was going to use it for beans first thing - great minds you know!!
    It's nice cuz they cook in 15 to 20 minutes flat. (depends on the beans) I just make a big batch and freeze the rest.

But you got to soak them for sure for the pc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use my pressure cooker almost daily. I cook all fresh vegetables in it. They take from 2-4 minutes. I cook pork chops and scalloped potatoes in it. Brown pork chops add potatoes, when the top starts rocking; put timer on for 12 minutes. Cool under cold water take off top. Chops are so tender you can eat them with a fork. I also make potatoes in them all the time; they take 10 minutes; red and yukon gold less. I like my pressure cooker so much I have 3 of them. Roasts with potatoes, onions and carrots take 20 minutes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love mine... My gram taught me how to use one... I only use mine to cook meats. They come out owww sooo tender... in little time. I also use it to make stuffed peppers. yummo. I stuff the peppers and set them in and add about one inch of water ( I usually add potatoes at this time also) then under pressure for about 20 minutes then I add the spagetti sauce and simmer a few minutes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    It's nice cuz they cook in 15 to 20 minutes flat. (depends on the beans) I just make a big batch and freeze the rest.

But you got to soak them for sure for the pc.
    Palooka - do you soak them overnight or what?
    Also, I never thought of freezing beans - anything I should know about the freezing process?

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    Palooka - do you soak them overnight or what?
    Also, I never thought of freezing beans - anything I should know about the freezing process?
    Yes, this is what I do and so meal planning can be hard. Most pc will tell you to soak beans.

I put them in a huge bowl filled with 5 times the water they need and let it sit in the fridge over night. Beans suck up water.

The longer you soak the faster they cook. I drain the water and rinse really well and see if there is any bad beans hanging out with the good gang of the beans and then discard.

I place the new beans in with the amount of water they call for in the PC. Once it gets hot and starts to rock, I count the time down.

As far as freezing goes, I'm not digging plastic bags because you can get freezer burn and also you can buy freezer paper that does a much better job.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mahalo Palooka. As soon as I restock my bean supply, I am going to give the PC technique a whirl!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    Yes, this is what I do and so meal planning can be hard. Most pc will tell you to soak beans.

I put them in a huge bowl filled with 5 times the water they need and let it sit in the fridge over night. Beans suck up water.

The longer you soak the faster they cook. I drain the water and rinse really well and see if there is any bad beans hanging out with the good gang of the beans and then discard.

I place the new beans in with the amount of water they call for in the PC. Once it gets hot and starts to rock, I count the time down.

As far as freezing goes, I'm not digging plastic bags because you can get freezer burn and also you can buy freezer paper that does a much better job.
    Yup, soak the beans. I just soak mine in the PC pot right on the stove. After they're cooked I put them in jars in my fridge and aim to use them within a week. When I see the last jar is 1/2 way full, I start soaking for another batch and cook. That way they're always ready for meals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast