HELP! My new canner arrived and I can't use it on my stove
    Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default HELP! My new canner arrived and I can't use it on my stove

I impulse shopped on Saturday and bought a 30 quart All American pressure canner. I was so excited to cut my canning time in half by processing 14 quarts at a time. That is until it arrived today and I saw the big bold letters on the top of the box - DO NOT USE ON A CERAMIC OR FLAT TOP STOVE. Apparently I was too busy drooling and missed this “little” detail.

Can I use a hot plate to can on? Or do I need to buy an old coil stove? If I buy an old coil stove I will have to put wiring in the basement so I can can down there as there is no room for a second stove in the kitchen. I am also a little worried about the stability of using a hot plate. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You can use a standalone burner for canning. Just make sure it's stable and powerful enough to get you up to temperature. I've seen this one recommended: Waring SB30 1300-Watt Portable Single Burner: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Heck, we've used an old Coleman camp stove to do some canning on.
    ~Russ

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, NO CANNING ON A GLASS TOP STOVE.

You can use a propane camp stove, a propane counter top burner (caterers use these - they are very nice) or a good quality electric coil stove. Many people find it an advantage to be able to can in a room other than the kitchen in order to not heat up the whole house during the hot, dog days of summer. Eventually installing an inexpensive electric or propane stove in a workshop or shed may be your answer.

But this begs the question ... do you mean you were using a smaller pressure canner on your glass top stove? The problem is the stove usually don't maintain even heat or the canner can get so hot (under pressure = high heat) that the glass top can break. If you were canning with a smaller canner, I take it you weren't having either of these problems. Were you able to maintain an even temperature?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by CookieLee View Post
    But this begs the question ... do you mean you were using a smaller pressure canner on your glass top stove? The problem is the stove usually don't maintain even heat or the canner can get so hot (under pressure = high heat) that the glass top can break. If you were canning with a smaller canner, I take it you weren't having either of these problems. Were you able to maintain an even temperature?
    Um.....yes I was canning on a glass top stove. I don't recall reading that I couldn't when I bought my smaller one. I have been canning this way for over 2 years now and I have not have any issues that I know of. I need the canner to be at 13# but at 15# it starts to make a slow rhythmic sound. So I set the canner to 15# and listen to it while doing other things. Once I turn the stove down and the temperature adjusts I never have to touch the again - It holds a perfect 15#. It has been wonderful!

Vigilant
    Thank you for the link! I will check it out.

Russ
    Thanks! My fiance has one....maybe I can "borrow" it. What's his will soon be mine - right? LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hmm...I use my small pressure canner on a glass topped stove. I think it depends on the stove. My stove instructions tell me I can use it for that. Hmm...

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by alaska_tiger_36 View Post
    Russ
    Thanks! My fiance has one....maybe I can "borrow" it. What's his will soon be mine - right? LOL!
    Of course! Whats yours is yours and whats his is yours.
    ~Russ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have no idea if this will work but for a problem my Mom has of a large canner on a smaller base, she uses a cooling rack. She puts it over the burner and sets the canner on top. It provides a bit more space for the heat to start circulating. Prevents the burner from overheating and melting the coils. Has worked just fine for her. Maybe something like that could work for this canner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Look around for a decent used gas stove to put in your basement. You can use your canner on that, and also use it in the case of a power outage for regular food prep. Be aware that you can't use the oven if the stove has an electronic ignition and there's a power outage, but you can light the burners with a match and use those.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all the help and ideas. You have given us a lot to research, think about and investigate to decide what option is best.