Excellent pressure canner guide
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Excellent pressure canner guide

While I was surfing around this morning, I happened upon this canning guide. It's an excellent step by step illustrated guide that not only tells you how to can, it tells you why things need to be done a certain way.

USDA Canning Guide - Utah County Extension - extension.usu.edu

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks, I look forward to browsing through it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. I have a pressure canner now (hand-me-down), but I haven't delved into using it yet. It came with a very brief instruction book, and I need more info.

Kara

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks ! Safety is important with canning.

I was thinking about getting a canner but unsure I'd get a return on investment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Safety is Job One when it comes to canning, IMO.

If you can grow your own produce, have access to excellent farmers markets, or have health concerns, then I think you're most likely to get a return on the investment. Or if you can get equipment inexpensively. For example, I paid $2 for one of my canners, then spent another $8 to get the manual for that specific canner, for a total cost of $10, not bad. My latest canner is a small one (holds seven pint jars) I bought at GW for $2. I didn't need the manual for that because it's the same manual I already have two of, one I got for a quarter and one that's the generic book for Mirro. I've picked up jars here and there cheap, and inherited a bunch. I picked up dozens and dozens of lids at a garage sale a while back for fifty cents a dozen. I'm covered for a long time to come! But if I had to go out and buy everything retail, I don't think I would either.

I'm getting more interested in canning the past few years from a health standpoint. EVERYTHING has way too much salt in it unless I make it myself. Not to mention other additives. Lately I'm very interested in canning beans due to how much a can of beans now costs at the store, and how much fewer beans are in a can now. I care less about the cost of canning beans now than about what's in them. It's easier to control what's in our foods if I can it myself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Very helpful SD. Thanks. (again!).. I'll just keep my eye out for a used canner. Oddly, I've seen a few on CL for sale over time, and they're asking top dollar for them.

I do have access to farmers markets, home grown, and side fruit/veggie stands. Aftr reading your post, I am re-thinking this. Because you're right, what's put in the cans in the store can be harmful.

Thanks for your insight!

Cheers!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's like anything else though. Be careful what you buy. I'll only buy major brands that I'm likely to be able to still get parts for if needed. I also only buy stuff in top condition, even though it's vintage.

Don't forget about jars. But watch prices. Our GW sells jars for .49. IMO, it's a better deal to buy new on sale. A dozen new pint jars around here can be had for about $8 if I watch sales. A dozen jars at GW would be $6 and I'd still have to buy lids and rings. New is cheaper in the long run.

Getting set up for canning cheaply can be done, but it takes time and patience.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for the site. Just got a new pressure cooker!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The ultimate website for canning instructions is National Center for Home Food Preservation | USDA Publications
    I'm sure a lot of what is on the Utah site would be the same information with emphasis on high altitude.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the old Presto canners like the 7b, but it is a gauge canner not weights. So I converted to a 3 piece weight 50332 by using a stem 1058. It's been great that way. So if you find an older canner I recommend either getting one that uses weights not gauges (most of the Mirros I think) or converting the Presto to use a weight. Checking the gauges for accuracy each year (they're not accurate) and having to babysit the canner full time is no fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Canners always have to be watched regardless of how the pressure is calculated. You can't just turn the fire on under a canner with a weight and walk away, you have to stick around and listen to how the steam is being released to make sure it isn't developing too much pressure. I find plenty to do in the kitchen while the canner is doing its thing, so it's never a problem to be in the same room and make sure the canner is operating safely. I actually like how noisy the weighted canners are because I can easily hear if it's behaving itself without having to hover over it.