Electric Pressure Cooker - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the recipe, I have been trying to use mine lately.

I'm not having too much luck doing beans, they come out hard, but I am going to keep trying!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

a couple years ago, I bought a stovetop pressure cooker. I never used it much because it seemed like everything just got overcooked.
    I had spent alot of time around an Indian family who almost exclusively cooked beans (dal) in pressure cookers and got used to the sounds and what they mean. I was never afraid of them, just couldn't balance it, beans hard, veggies mushy.
    Then we moved out, to a place with a dismal kitchen. I started using the pressure cooker because
    1. it was one of the few pots I took
    2. I figured it would smoke less, and not set off the smoke detector which is trigger-happy at best.
    but I couldn't start dinner till I got home... and was limited with what I could do, until I learn more!
    I got an Instant Pot with prize money I got at work, and am really enjoying it.
    It has 7 features (the way they count) but to me, it does pressure cooking, searing/browning, and slow cooking. It has a delay feature, and a switch-to-warm feature.
    I love it.
    Once a week I do lentils with brown rice & veggies; it's ready when we get home.**delayed pressure, to warm**
    My kid (who doesn't like potatoes) has informed me that the chicken with carrots and potatoes is very good. so we'll start doing that once a week. (instead of a whole chicken i do 2 leg quarters) **slow cooker to warm
    later in the week, I'll use chicken leftovers to make soup, or something similar. **slow cooker to warm
    Spaghetti sauce works well in it. **slow cooker to warm
    I haven't done stew yet, but look forward to it. ** slow cooker to warm
    I've done chicken stock a couple times, then used that in rice or soup **pressure
    I have a bag of onions to make carmelized onions, which I'll freeze (squeeze into my microscopic freezer) **pressure
    I've done brown rice at least once without beans **pressure
    I made a cheese sauce in it, but wasn't impressed ** slow cooker to warm

You can search for Instant Pot recipes TO FIND pressure cooker recipes now!
    A VERY good site is hippressurecooking.com

The beans/rice I make is a modification of this: Bright & Tasty Pressure Cooker Lentils ⋆ hip pressure cooking

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got an Instant Pot for my birthday this year and I love it. There is a learning curve I've found and while I admit I was nervous when I started using it I am much more relaxed now as it's been a couple of months and it's been great.

I use this recipe at least once a week as DH loved baked beans and these have come out really well.

Pressure Cooker Baked Beans - Pressure Cooking Today

There are other recipes there too that are good. I've made cheesecake in my Instant Pot, lasagna, chop suey (that was my only failure...and it wasn't really a fail so much as an undercook. I think the pasta absorbed the water so much that I couldn't get any real steam in there so it never sealed..just heated up). I've done pot roast, beef stew, cooked potatoes in it and then taken them out to mash or you could then slice them and use them for home fries etc. I'm sure a lot of the electric ones do this but the Instant Pot has the saute feature and I love being able to throw the meat in, brown it up and then go ahead and add the water and other ingredients and cook it the rest of the way. When I used my crock pot I'd have to brown the meat separately using another pan then put it in the crock and add the rest etc. The instant pot also has a slow cooker feature which I really don't love as much as I thought I would because I really love slow cooking. It seems like it doesn't get as hot as my slow cooker does so things take longer on the slow cooker feature than they do in my slow cooker. But that's just me and maybe I'm impatient?

When I put the lid on mine it makes a little chirping tone and a different chirping tone when you open it so you can tell the lids on right. It does whistle and hiss a bit when it's coming up to steam but I've always set it and forget it. I can tell when it gets up to pressure because it'll hiss then you hear a little click and it's silent. That means the float valve just popped up and sealed it.

Like anything it's trial and error and while I was always a little afraid of pressure cooking the Instant Pot has been a real success for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yeah, the slow cooker has 10+ hours to do its job for me, and I tend to avoid the recipes that have you do something after 4 hours (add, stir, whatever)... I'm not there!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't pressure cooked anything lately, but I used my electric cooker without the pressure a couple of times. I made some amazing spaghetti sauce, by browning the Italian sausage right in the pot & adding the rest of the ingredients then using the simmering feature. It works better than the stove top since I don't have to watch it so close. Same thing with sloppy joe. I made it in the pot & then left it on warm. I have high and low pressure, simmer, brown, and keep warm settings.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm going to try this tomorrow night with a few adjustments (leaving out salt and some of the spice)

https://callhimyeschef.com/2013/02/1...nder-pressure/

The other day I put very small red potatoes in there in steamer basket with 1.5 cups water and I forget the exact time but I think I did 6 minutes. Tested them and they were fork tender so I put them in fridge to cool. Pulled them out at supper, sliced them kind of thick and tossed on the grill with pepper, onion powder and dehydrated garlic. I spritzed them with olive oil too. They came out really yummy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been using mine to cook fresh green beans; an effort to eat more healthy. Doesn't take but about 12 minutes. Sometimes I add onion and bacon pieces..but not always. Supposed to be a no-no to pressure cook green beans (too limp results) but I like them and so quick and easy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pinetree, I make pinto beans in my pressure cooker all the time. I've about gotten it down to a science now. Mine come out perfect on high pressure for 40 minutes. I add ham, little sugar, season salt. I also soak the beans overnight and drain off prior to pressuring them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

tonight I'm doing chicken with alfredo sauce in my pressure cooker.
    I'm winging it, no true recipe. I'll let you know how it works out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

THanks for the info about the beans, I thanked your post but it said it was an ilegal post, and there is no name.

1bh, let me know how that turns out.

I fixed a cheesy,chicken, brocolli and rice, we loved it and I used frozen chicken, It was a life saver and really good.

Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love my Instant Pot. It isn't scary at all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cricketlegs, I agree, Instant Pot is amazing. I love mine.

I was gone most of yesterday and had to come up with something quick for dinner when I finally got home. I had some boneless pork chops in the fridge so I put the Instant Pot on "saute" and dropped in a splash of olive oil and browned the chops. I then added a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's Hawaiian BBQ sauce I had on the shelf and added a bit of water (I only had a cup of BBQ sauce in the bottle and I needed 1 1/2 - 2 cups of fluid) and mixed the water and sauce together then poured it in, shut the lid and sealed the vent and set it on 15 minutes.

They came out so tender!! And DH loved the flavor too. So that is going in the file as something I'll make again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got an Instant Pot a few months ago. Since I already had an electric pressure cooker, I didn't think I'd be that impressed with it. I was wrong. I love it! I cook something in it almost every day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rainey, would you like to share some recipies?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Getting an insta pot for Christmas need recipe ideas please.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast