Electric Pressure Cooker
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Electric Pressure Cooker

I just searched old threads & it has been several years since there has been any activity on the pressure cooker threads.
    I got a Cuisinart 6 quart counter top pressure cooker for Christmas & finally got brave enough to try it out last night. I made a round steak and whole potatoes. It has a browning feature, so browned meat & onions, then added water & potatoes. The recipe book was very limited, so I was following a pork chop recipe. The first round was 9 minutes, but it wasn't done, so added 5 minutes, then ended up running it another 5 minutes. It turned out good. I made a little gravy with the liquid in the bottom. All in all a success. Today I made two batches of stock from a turkey carcass I had in the freezer. That took 45 minutes each batch. Very good.

Who else uses an electric pressure cooker? What are your favorite things to make in it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope you get lots of responses here - I was thinking about buying one of those.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have one, got it maybe 2 yrs ago, used it mabe 3 times.
    I did get it out last week to make chicken stock, mine said to set it for 15 min, after pressure was up, it turned out great, My recipies are really limited too, so maybe we can figure out how to use them!
    I have made a stew in it, the meat turned out wonderful, but thats about it.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My neighbor got one for Christmas, and she loves it. Can't recall what all she has made, but she's used it several times so far.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use my electric pressure cooker a couple of times a week. I started out only using it to cook dried beans and bean soups, but lately I've been branching out. I've been following a you tube channel which has a lot of vegan recipes for pressure cooking. Unfortunately I now want an Instant Pot, even though my current pressure cooker works fine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I want to try beans, I would like to add more beans into my meals. I also want to make beef stock. The turkey stock really turned out great. Very gelatinous. I know people who swear by bone broth as an aide to good health.

I have heard about Instant Pot. I can see the attraction. My DH got my cooker for me for Christmas, so that makes it special.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am going to watch this thread................i see these cookers on the shopping channels pretty often and the food looks great. I have never owned a pressure cooker.

Since they are so popular now I would think the library would have some recipe books.

I will now look up Instant Pot - thats a new one to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I rarely use my pressure cookers. I'm debating about getting rid of my electric one. I have two or three or maybe it's four stovetop ones. I don't use them very much either. I'm not sure why, maybe because I haven't used them enough to learn how not to overcook stuff. And ironically, I've never blown the lid off of one, except for the electronic one with all its safeguards that are supposed to prevent that from happening.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought one but I'm terrified of it and I just can't get past it. It's the noises it makes, the steam, and all the "do not do . . . "s. I am thinking about donating mine, which has been used about three times since I got it new. I'm off to look up that Instant Pot, though. Maybe I can make friends with that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have made a couple more things. I put the rack in & cooked two skin on sweet potatoes. After I pulled them out, the peel fell right off, then I made pork chops. Browned them first, right in the cooker, threw in some onion & spices to sauté , then pressure for 9 minutes. Very good! Tomorrow I am making an English roast, potatoes & carrots. One of the nice features on mine is a stay warm feature once the time is up. It can also be used like a slow cooker, or soup pot.
    I do want to check out the library for a recipe book.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OOwl, what brand do you have?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OOwl, I actually like the noise my stovetop cookers make. I can tell by the sound of them whether they're behaving like they should or not, so while I have to be in the kitchen to monitor them, I don't have to hover as much and can do other things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok, here to report on today's pressure cooked meal. Got home from church 11:10. Turned on the cooker to brown, threw in the meat - a 1.3 # beef roast. While it was browning, I peeled 6 potatoes & 3 large carrots. Wasted 5 minutes or more looking for stock, then decided on boullion and dehydrated onions. Set on pressure for 15 minutes. We sat down to eat @ 12:15. The potatoes & carrots were perfect. The meat was very good, but not falling apart. Definitely a success.
    I probably will try this again @ 20 minutes. Also will be keeping track of liquid used. Today I used 4 cups so everything was submerged. Part of my issue with the instruction book is I don't want to make the a same quantity they list. I had bought a 2.6# roast but only wanted to cook half so I had to guess on the time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the reason I dont have one is the fear of an explosion. I would have thought an electric cooker would be safer. Another reason is I wondered if I would really use it enough to justify the cost.

I will continue to think about it. and keep reading this thread

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The new ones have failsafes on them, so they're safer than the old ones. As long as you're careful you shouldn't have a problem. My mom used pressure cookers and canners for decades and never had any kind of accident. I think the big thing is to become familiar with the sounds they make when they're operating correctly, and never walk away from that. Stay within earshot and within sight, the same as not leaving a pan full of hot oil on a lit stove burner. It's really not much different than learning to use any other appliance safely.

What got me over being afraid of using mine is reminding myself that a lot of people way more stupid than me use them all the time and manage not to get hurt.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast