Need help identifying old pressure cooker

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Need help identifying old pressure cooker

We've just come across all the parts for an old (at least 60 years) pressure cooker that somehow survived four or five moves among several states, and would like to put it back in service. It's cast metal with wooden handles, saus 4Q - 42 on the bottom, and the nameplate is long gone. I'd want to see how it is supposed to operate, as it has at least one feature that our other two pressure cookers do not: The pressure regulator "wobble" weight has what appears to be a pressure relief button on the top.

If we're going to get this working safely, I'll need to get a new gasket, and possibly a safety relief valve. I'd appreciate any leads on make, model, or anything else on this old beauty. I'm attaching a couple of photos. Thanks in advance for any help!

Need help identifying old pressure cooker-pressure-cooker-1.jpg

Need help identifying old pressure cooker-pressure-cooker-2.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It looks like it might be a Presto. You could e mail them and ask if it's one of theirs. They've been a huge name in American pressure cookers for a very long time. The company is based in Wisconsin. They've also sold pressure cookers under the Mirro brand. Their contact info is here: https://www.gopresto.com/

A lot of hardware stores carry parts for older pressure cookers, such as seals and pressure release valves. If you can find out what brand and model it is, you can sometimes find owners manuals on eBay or online.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    It looks like it might be a Presto. You could e mail them and ask if it's one of theirs. They've been a huge name in American pressure cookers for a very long time. The company is based in Wisconsin. They've also sold pressure cookers under the Mirro brand. Their contact info is here: https://www.gopresto.com/

A lot of hardware stores carry parts for older pressure cookers, such as seals and pressure release valves. If you can find out what brand and model it is, you can sometimes find owners manuals on eBay or online.
    I have emailed them to seek help in identifying the model number of the PC, and inquiring how to send them the pictures!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck! I hope they'll be able to help you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yup, looks to me like National Presto 4 quart pressure cooker, model 40.

https://www.appliancefactoryparts.co.../40--4qt-.html

Presto 40 (4-quart) Pressure Cooker Parts - Pressure Cooker Outlet

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/m...ecipe_book.pdf

A caution I came across that you should be aware of: I would caution you that this model does not lock automatically. When you release pressure, you REALLY need to make sure there is NOTHING in there before opening the lid. Unlike modern pressure cookers, there is nothing preventing you from accidentally opening the cooker while it's at pressure. I recommend NOT to bring older pressure cookers back into service because of this missing safety system. However, if you must, always be aware of what you are doing and after you double-check that the pressure has dissipated, check again before opening the lid.
    2018/2019 Pay Off the Windows Challenge: $31,057.34/$31,057.34 (Goal: Pay Off By 11/30/2019 - DONE! PAID IN FULL 11/15/19)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks to you both for the information and advice. It is indeed a Presto, and the year of manufacture is 1941. Presto has advised that the pressure regulator is obsolete and potentially dangerous, and urges us not to pressurize it. Having had another manufacturer's cooker fail (the pressure gauge blew off) and making a huge mess--mostly on the kitchen ceiling--I don't think I'll try to bring this old girl back into service.

But since it was manufactured in the year of my birth, I'll probably keep it around as long as my wife is willing to keep ME around!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm glad you found out its history. Too bad it's not safe to use. I love vintage stuff myself, now that I've become vintage myself.

You can still use it as a sauce pan.