The Pumpkin

Thread: The Pumpkin

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default The Pumpkin

The Pumpkin
    http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?KYLKS 7 October 2008. Utilizing the Pumpkin.

The pumpkin depicted is the Connecticut Field Pumpkin (Cucurbita pepo), which is the common pumpkin grown in North America.

Being interested about the use of pumpkins as decorations for Halloween, and then seeing them thrown out, I decided to see just what one could do with this vegetable. Apparently the fruit is contains many nutrients. These picture depict my minor efforts.

When ripe, the pumpkin can be boiled, baked, steamed, or roasted. Cooked in the pressure cooked the pumpkin is basically steamed in it own juices. The mush can be formulated into many desserts like pie and a various loafs. The seeds and juice were also utilized.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Perfect!!! I was just thinking about pumpkins and how I could take advantage of their availability this time of year. I'm not into holiday celebrations but I like seasonal foods.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mmm, pumpkin! I like mine roasted with salt and a little pepper. I'm thinking it could also hold up to a curry mix or even garlic too. I never would have thought to peel it whole then cut it up. I usually cut into strips then take a knife to pare the skin off.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
    Perfect!!! I was just thinking about pumpkins and how I could take advantage of their availability this time of year. I'm not into holiday celebrations but I like seasonal foods.
    Pumpkin Gnocchi
    Cook about 500g pumpkin - preferably roasted so it isn't 'wet' or microwaved.

Mash it and let it cool a bit then add 1 egg yolk , salt and pepper, a pinch of nutmeg and incorporate plain flour to make a dough about like bread dough, knead lightly. Roll into a few long thin 'sausages' and cut into about 1" cubes, mark each gnocchi with a fork ( traditional).

Chill until ready to use - then drop into rapidly boiling water, cook until it rises to the surface. Serve with your favorite pasta sauce.

I got this today, and must give it a try.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I made something similar with butternut squash before and it tasted very good. I over kneaded it though and it was a little tough. After it was boiled, I put it in a pan with some butter to get it a little crisp and that made it better. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?VQHSW 9 October 2008 Boiling instead of deep frying.
    Some of the pumpkin mash was utilized in a simple flour boiled snack. These balls make a simple nutritious snack food as is, or could be flavored with icing sugar for a simple dessert, or a sauce added to eat like pasta.The pumpkin balls have a relatively pleasant neutral flavor, filling, without too many calories, and home made. SFS, fat, sugar, salt is kept to an minimum.

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?TECPR Summary: The Pumpkin

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to eat pumpkin seeds as a kid, but for the life of me I can't remember how. (And it wasn't that long ago.) You don't have to shell them or anything? Aren't they tough?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Nishu View Post
    I used to eat pumpkin seeds as a kid, but for the life of me I can't remember how. (And it wasn't that long ago.) You don't have to shell them or anything? Aren't they tough?
    Pumpkin seeds can be a bit fibrous, since one doesn't extract the flat seed, but cooking in the oven at exactly the right length of time removes almost all the fiber and the seed become just crunchy. Too much cooking and the seeds become carbon.. They seeds are quite tasty. It seems a shame to throw out so many seeds, when processing pumpkin.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use every bit of the punkin that I can. Roast the seeds for snacks. Olive oil, salt and pepper on the pumpkin chunks for roasting. And I cook and freeze the pulp for cakes, pies, and breads.