who makes hm pumpkin pie?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question who makes hm pumpkin pie?

I only eat pumpkin pie once or twice max a year. I have only made it from the can or bought it premade or frozen. (we're talking Mrs. Smith's) LMAO I am so not Betty Crocker, but I try.
    Anyway, so I have this pumpkin hanging out over here. Do I dare even try this?
    What do I do? Cut it up and cook it? What temp? Then what scrape pumpkin off skin and puree in food processor?
    Anyone have a recipe?
    My instinct tells me...run no don't do this because I have such bad luck with great ideas gone wrong and I am getting negative pumpkin vibes and wasn't even going to post this. LOL

TIA Pumpkin Gurus

Sara

Gabe says yesterday, "soooo what are "you" planning on doing with that pumpkin?" and then asks "Pumpkin pie? Pumpkin muffins, oh I love pumpkin muffins." <-----------5 yrs have never seen him eat a pumpkin muffin. He says because I have never made them. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i make them homemade, but i use canned pumpkin! to me, that is homemade....as long as i'm not buying the pie from the store! i don't like to mess with real pumpkins.....only for jack-o-lanterns!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do, sort of. I follow the recipe on the Libby's solid pack pumpkin, but use a pre-made pie crust like Pillsbury Redi-Crust, as I am no Betty Crocker either when it comes to pie crusts! I also add 6-8 generous tablespoons of molasses to the pumpkin batter for color and flavor, and everyone seems to like it -- the crumbs around their mouths are a dead giveaway!

Julie

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well see now, I am feeling a little better already. LOL

Seriously, I just keep looking at that pumpkin and it's calling out...don't throw me away. That coupled with Gabe's...I love pumpkin muffins and I am being guilted. LOL (not too badly seeing as I made him pb cookies last night)

At least, I feel better about the canned pumpkin of pies past. LOL

Sara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do, I only use PIE PUMKINS..... Not jack-o-lantern pumpkins...
    Cut in half, scrape out seeds and pulp, peel, cut in cubes, cover with water, add a pinch of salt and cook til tender.... Then puree.
    Easy !I have lots of it in the freezer this year... all of it I got for free.... Use just like you would the canned..... Its just like cutting up cantalope or honeydue melon !

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use pie pumpkins. I cut in 1/2 scrape out the insides then bake. Then I scrape the pulp and use the same recipe I would for canned Libbys works great!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sara, my advice is RUN! (Sorry, gals ) My mom and I did this a few years ago, it took all day, and tasted exactly the same as the canned stuff. Not worth the effort to me. But at least I can say-yes I have made it from scratch. I always make my own crust. It's easy-not something you should be afraid of. I just use the recipe in my Betty Crocker cookbook.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Apparently, someone failed to teach me pumpkin 101 because I didn't realize the different varieties of pumpkins. LOL
    Is it safe to assume the pie pumpkins are the smaller deeper orange pumpkins?

*thinking dang Wednesday is trash day and I missed it* LMAO

Sara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I prefer to make 'em from scratch simply because it makes me feel more frugal/old-fashioned/housewifey, plus I need profitable ways to spend my time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't make em from pumpkins.....I do the same as several of the above. I buy my pumpkin (canned) on sale and make 2-4 before thanksgiving. Everyone gobbles it up and goes on and on about how wonderful they are.......hhhhh mmmmmm......frozen crusts and the secret recipe is on the back of the can......!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OK, could someone please post or PM me the Libby's recipe? I have never bought canned pumpkin since I wanted a challenge one year and cooked my first pumpkin. I made a recipe using frozen pie shell as I wasn't up to the full challenge of crust making too. LOL The pie tasted just like my dear grandmother's that no one but her had been able to make before and so I usually make about 10 pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I just half the pumpkin(I use the big pumpkins since that is what DGM used) seed and bake until tender. Drain off excess water, Puree and freeze in 2 cup bags. Thaw and we are ready to go. I have used the pie pumpkins and the light colored skin pumpkin(called baking pumpkins around here). No one has ever commented on the difference.

Sorry for the book but this brings up a wonderful memory for me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I baked the pumpkin about 20 years ago.... It's way to messy for me.... I simmer, I can control just how well the flesh gets that way...... and I use 2Xs as much spice as the recipe calls for..... Yummy !!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Am I the only one who doesn't like pumpkin pie? DH would kill for it. I will get him a Mrs. Smith's (w/ a coupon, of course!). I prefer pecan any day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use canned pumpkin here.
    If you don't end up using it for a pie you can make some simmering pumpkin spice packages someone posted about a couple of weeks ago.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OK, I am reading my pie can recipe. it says 1 12oz can milk. I use eagle brand, its not in a 12 oz can.
    I am blank. How many cups is 12oz?
    i think 1 1/2 a cup is 8 oz, isnt it?