Cooking pumpkin?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Cooking pumpkin?

Okay, Halloween is over. We have 2 giant pumpkins the girls decorated with paint that I probably won't cook because they will think I have "killed them." But I have 2 smaller pie pumpkins. I am embarrassed to say I haven't cooked a pumpkin in years and don't even remember how to begin.

Help! Oh and how do I roast the seeds?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cut the pumpkin into managable chunks and steam until a fork pierces the flesh easily (after scooping out the seed/slime gunk). Scoop the cooked flesh off of the skin and freeze or use within a couple of days.

I don't have on hand roasting instructions, but if you google it, you'll get a TON of hits.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually cut them up, scoop out the guts, put a little olive oil on them & bake in the oven (with the skins on) then when they are fork tender, I take them out of the oven & let them cool. When they are cooled down, I peel them (they are super easy to peel after they've been cooked) and toss them in the food processor to puree. Then I store them in freezer bags in the freezer. I find it easier to store them in 2-cup portions in the 1pint size freezer bags because 2 cups of 'real' pumpkin is equal to one 15oz can of packed pumpkin that most recipes call for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If there is about 2 inches or more of stalk still attached to the pumpkin and it hasn't been punctured or damaged, it should keep whole for a few months.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok, this may seem a little silly, but................all these years, I've been using a food mill to puree the pumpkin....you know....to get out all the strings. You mean to tell me I can just use my food processor?????? What about the strings?????? The fibers????? Do they puree up, too??????

AND to top it all off, I PEEL the stupid pumpkin first before I steam it.

I've got 3 waiting to be canned & I've been dreading it because of the work....I've done 2 so far.

You've got to be kidding!!! I feel dumb! LOL!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by forestdale
    If there is about 2 inches or more of stalk still attached to the pumpkin and it hasn't been punctured or damaged, it should keep whole for a few months.
    Do you know under what conditions? Indoors, outdoors, frost, snow?

I have 8 pie pumpkins, but very little freezer space right now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Valerie, I'd probably keep them inside where the temp doesn't fluctuate so much....maybe in a cool-er place like a basement.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The easiest way I've found to cook a pumpkin is to cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff and bake in the oven cut side up. I put a little water in the bottom of the pan, cover it and bake for about an hour. I only have one pan large enough so I have to cook one half at a time. Last time I tried to cut a pumpkin up in chunks I go blisters -- I think this is a whole lot easier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by geniebird
    The easiest way I've found to cook a pumpkin is to cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff and bake in the oven cut side up. I put a little water in the bottom of the pan, cover it and bake for about an hour. I only have one pan large enough so I have to cook one half at a time. Last time I tried to cut a pumpkin up in chunks I go blisters -- I think this is a whole lot easier.
    Yup, that's what I do, only I use olive oil to keep the pumpkin from drying out..

To keep whole pumpkins (that have a stem & no bruises or punctures) it's best to keep them like you do potatoes..in a cool dark place.

Jamee, I usually only get the strings when I have a very large pumpkin. The small ones (smaller than 6-8") aren't very stringy At least not enough to keep me from using my food processor!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What about the good ol' jack o' latern style pumpkins? Can you cook those like you would squash and if so, do they taste good?
    I have 2 that we didn't get around to carving and I'd hate to throw them out if they can be useful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've done big pumpkins before. They are a little more fibrous, and not as sweet as the smaller ones. But they work fine for me.