Killing the fatted pumpkin

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Killing the fatted pumpkin

Okay the killing part's an inside joke. But does anyone else clean and cook a fresh pumpkin instead of buying canned? I do it every year in October, mash it up and freeze it in 1 and 2 cup bags. I haven't used canned pumpkin in years. Fresh doesn't look or taste the same as canned, but after you get used to that I think it's better.

It's also a part of my fall routine. Killing the fatted pumpkin and making applesauce.

Anyone else?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah -- we grow close to 5 acres of pumpkins to sell and give away. . . so we're always cooking up the ones that got cracked, or something. . . or the ones that are too oddly shaped to sell, etc.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How do you do it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I cut the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds and pulp. Then I place it cut side down, on a lightly oiled baking sheet. I bake in the oven (generally set at 350 degrees) until the pumpkin is fork tender. Then I scoop the flesh from the rind, and mash -- then freeze it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are a couple of ways. First you can boil it. Cut it in chunks and take the peel off (my cookbook says 1", but mine are usually bigger.) Bring water to a boil, drop in pumpkin, cover and brink back to a boil. Cook till tender (about 30 min.). When done drain and mash the heck out of it.

You can also bake it -- this is really the easiest, but I often don't have a pan big enough. Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and the stringy stuff. Place cut side up in baking dish with about 1/4 inch of water. Cover and bake at 400 degrees till done. When done, scoop the pumpkin out of the shell and mash the heck out of it.

I freeze it in 1 and 2 cup bags (the amounts I use most often).

I do it both ways. It isn't as easy as buying a can of course, but I just enjoy doing it. I don't know if I save any money, I just think it's better.
    Last edited by LizaZ; 12-28-2007 at 12:26 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read in Mother Earth News that the pumpkins grown for jack-o-lanterns aren't too tasty (I bet they're better than canned, just the same.) Isn't it a shame that we've stopped growing nearly all kinds of pumpkins other than the ones that make the best decorations? It's a small thing, but what the hey? Our society has become so ridiculous.

My sister grew some pumpkins in her garden this year and brought a pie made from them to Thanksgiving dinner. The flavor was so delicate and light- I could eat it every day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can still buy all different sizes and kinds of pumpkins -- even the small "pie pumpkins" as well as itty bitty ornamentals. Stores around here have a wide variety and I'm sure you would find more if you went directly to a pumpkin patch. We probably see more of the great big "jack-o-lantern" pumpkins, because that is what most people seem to buy them for -- supply and demand. But the others are still out there.

I grew my own when we had room for a garden, but now that we don't I just wait till close to the end of the season and get one at the farmer's market or the local grocery.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We grow lots of varieties -- and the small, pie type ones are our best sellers. That and the white "Boo" ones