Drycleaning

Thread: Drycleaning

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Drycleaning

I used to wash, let hang dry and iron dh's shirts, but over the years I've become lazy and less frugal. I'm changing my ways as of today! I washed dh's shirts and they're hanging to dry as I type. I've probably saved at least $20 by doing this! Hurray!

Dh is concerned about is suit pants. Who washes their husband's good suit pants? I don't want to ruin them, and my husband is concerned. Does anyone have any tips about washing these or should I succumb and bring them to the drycleaners? Any help is appreciated...but remember I can't ruin or change in appearance dh's pants or suit jacket!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My advice, as unfrugal as it is, would be to take them to the cleaners. With full suits, you run the risk of fading the pants, while the jacket keeps it's original color. Then you can't exactly wear them together! As far as dress pants to wear with sport coats (the kinds that don't match) you should be able to wash those and be okay.

Have you tried the Dryel (I think that is what they are called) products? I have never tried them, but I have friends who swear by them. You might try those and see if they work!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know with DH's wool suit pants, instead of sending them to the Dry cleaner, I use a lightly damp (clean) wash rag, very gently clean off any "dirt" spots, then put a little fabric softener on the washrag, toss it in the dryer on Low heat, and let run for about 10minutes or so.

I think you can also buy those "Dry cleaner" kits in the grocery store, as well.

I've no idea about a Suit Jacket, though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd rather pay for dry cleaning than buy a new suit. I don't touch them.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all your responses! I'll take it to the cleaners to be safe...I can't afford to buy a new suit if I shrink or fade it! Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ask your drycleaners if they offer a bulk rate for drycleaning.
    Some places do. You take in your clothes, they put them on a scale,
    tell you the poundage, and then charge accordingly. Usually a minimum
    fee is charged though. I think it was like $ 16 where I used to work.
    So if you only wanted 2 pieces done, it would not be worth you going this route.
    The clothing comes back on hangers. Just no pressing.
    Suits maybe won't work here, but worth a try.
    Last edited by ladytoysdream; 10-29-2008 at 09:24 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I send all of DH work shirts & slacks to the drycleaners.......I would not take a chance on the slacks, JMHO.

You may want to check your local pennysaver, or coupons section....our local cleaners have adds for discounts every couple of weeks so you can save some money.

Good Luck,
    leezza

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use the kits for dry cleaning at home (Dryel, Dry Cleaners Secret) and they work great. If something is stained beyond what they will fix, then I take it to the cleaners, but that rarely happens. You only have to buy the kit the 1st time, then just buy the refill sheets. IMHO they really work better than trying to wash items and are much cheaper than going to the cleaners.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltin' Mama View Post
    I used to wash, let hang dry and iron dh's shirts, but over the years I've become lazy and less frugal. I'm changing my ways as of today! I washed dh's shirts and they're hanging to dry as I type. I've probably saved at least $20 by doing this! Hurray!

Dh is concerned about is suit pants. Who washes their husband's good suit pants? I don't want to ruin them, and my husband is concerned. Does anyone have any tips about washing these or should I succumb and bring them to the drycleaners? Any help is appreciated...but remember I can't ruin or change in appearance dh's pants or suit jacket!
    I use to work for a dry cleaning business. they put suits(unless it says dry clean only) in the washer with everything else. Then they are pressed and sent to the front to get ready for pick up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Umm, I used to run a drycleaning shop and people who wash stuff and press it and send it out are people that end up ruining clothes and refusing to pay the customer for replacement -- bad business, if you ask me.. I would send them in .. I no longer am managing a dry cleaning shop, but washing wool at home affects the fibers, Wool fibers are like little hooks, and when water is added it causes the fibers to swell and for them to "lock" together -- google felting and that is what can happen to wool items washed at home == Of course, if your husband wants felted pants -- lol!! From my experience, the cost of the suit is high enough to justify proper care of the garment.. Also, when you take it in, point out all spots to the counter person, so they are aware, and also take note of any loose seams, buttons, etc., so if you get it back with stains still in or missing buttons or not working zippers, they can't say you brought it in that way == unfortunately, cleaners that wash people's stuff instead of actually doing their job right are everywhere. Also, if you are uneasy, ask them what kind of drycleaning machine they use, what chemical process is involved, and if you can see the back of their shop == if they're reputable, they won't have a problem with it!! Good luck!