Electric Bill Went Up?!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Electric Bill Went Up?!

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here but love reading everyone's threads and have been motivated and inspired.

About a month ago (I live with my Mom and my 12 yr old son) we decided to try to save on electric.

We've pretty much unplugged everything that wasn't necessary and I have to admit..I'm proud of us and we kept it up all month long.

I was eagerly awaiting the electric bill to see what our efforts did to reduce our bill....it came yesterday....it wen't up 4.00!

How is that possible? I unplugged my tv every day...I unplugged the microwave, the coffee pot...every lamp that was never used, the tvs and vcrs the washer and dryer after I used them. How could us unplugging things NOT make any change whatsoever?

I'm so frustrated...I told my Mother I was going to replug everything back in and keep it going 24/7 see what that did!

I looked at the bill and it said they read the meter but honestly....I think they lied.

I'm going to keep at it. According to the bill they will read the meter Dec 11 next time. I may wait in the bushes and scare him just because! Argh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you checked their reading? Our meter is on the house and I occasionally just walk out and look at the number - then figure out the daily usage. You could look at the meter and write the numbers down, then compare to your bill. If its close - it won't be exact unless you haven't used ANY electricity - then you know they read it.

HTH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If it's cold where you are, it could be furnace usage that you're not taking into account. Even if you have natural gas, all the fans and thermostats and junk run off electricity.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wouldn't take that first month to heart. I did the same as you and saw literally no difference. The next month was down about $30... results may vary.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

of course too you MAY have used less kw BUT the electric price went up?? I know mine did i used less kw than last month but the electricity price went up so there for the bill did too...lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks so much for the replies!

It's been pretty warm here still so we've used little or no heat and my Mom just had those programmable thermostats put in so we though that would help too!

I did take a look at the meter but didn't really understand it...maybe I'll bring the bill out there and see if I can make some sense of it.

I won't get discouraged but gee wiz....I was so proud of us for doing it...maybe it will show next month more. We'll see.

Thanks!!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How to read an electric meter >> http://www.glps.net/meterread.htm

AND WELCOME TO FV!!
    Last edited by Russ; 11-14-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

another thing to consider is how many days were on that bill. My meter was read on Sept. 30 and then on November 3. So the bill I have due now has 33 days on it. The bill also says the next scheduled read date is Nov. 28, so my next bill won't have as many days on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

RCannon.....thanks so much for that link!!

I knew I loved this site before...but now you guys really rock!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have done everything I can possibly do and got that bill down like a good citizen
    and then in yesterdays newspaper it was announced that the public utilities is going to allow our electric company to raise our rates 25% Now that sux!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

Depending on how your meter is read, you could have more or less days in your billing cycle. In the old days when our meter was read by a person, it seemed they did it whenever. Our electric company provides on the bill your daily average usage. This is the number I look at. Also, I compare it to a year before to see seasonal changes. Don't feel bad about your usage. I am a Master Electrician and I still don't get how we consume so much power. I finally told dw we must have a leak and to be careful because electricity will make a floor quite slippery.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowgc View Post
    I have done everything I can possibly do and got that bill down like a good citizen
    and then in yesterdays newspaper it was announced that the public utilities is going to allow our electric company to raise our rates 25% Now that sux!
    LOL, when I read this, I had to look at your location. OMG, hey neighbor! LOL.

Seriously, I'm terrified. I'm buying my parents house, and they pay like $150/month on electric. I figured I could get it down from there a lot ... and then WHAM TECO announces that rate hike! I almost feel screwed.