Do I need a new crockpot?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Do I need a new crockpot?

I've not been one to use a crockpot much. I've always been a stay at home mom and I like the process of cooking so I just never bothered with it much. But lately I've been trying to use it more. I used it yesterday for venison steak and today I have pinto beans in it.

My crockpot is one of the ones with the removable crock. It's several years old, but it's not been used much. Once the food starts really cooking the lid rattles! Bubbles form around the rim and it rattles like crazy and sometimes the lid will even jiggle loose LOL. I have to watch it and go back and put the lid back on where it belongs. It cooks really hot and I know the food it getting done because even on low it will boil. But I was wondering if the thing with the lid is a problem? Should I invest in a new one?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds pretty normal to me. I have one old and one newer, and they'll both rattle a bit when they're really simmering. If it rattles off too much, you could always put something heavy on top, like another pot lid on top of the crockpot and hopefully the weight would help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine is 11 years old and I have never had it bubble the lid off. Granted I always put it on low and I'm not home until the evening but again, I've never seen the lid bubble out of place.

If you're home while the crock is on then I say its not a problem but just from a safety standpoint I wouldn't use it if someone wasn't going to be home all day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugal is fun View Post
    Mine is 11 years old and I have never had it bubble the lid off. Granted I always put it on low and I'm not home until the evening but again, I've never seen the lid bubble out of place.

If you're home while the crock is on then I say its not a problem but just from a safety standpoint I wouldn't use it if someone wasn't going to be home all day.
    I never use it unless I'm home. My dh is an ex-firefighter and he hates for things like that to be left on all day when noone is home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you checked the temperature? This is something we should do with all slow-cookers periodically, and especially if you purchase one used.

They are designed to cook foods between 170°-280°F. You can fill it with warm water and allow it time to get up to temperature and then test the water temperature with a candy thermometer or an Instant Read Thermometer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My main crock pot is older than most of you on the forum! Avocado, with a brown stone-looking non-removable inside. 4 1/2 quart. Non-polarized plug. I've used it at least once a week since I've had it, and I'll use it until it (or me) falls apart.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My crockpots are relatively new. I received them as Christmas gifts a few years ago. I find that on high temperatures mine will bubble and the lid will rattle. With beans, they tend to bubble and froth, so the lid really rattles. I keep and eye on whatever I'm cooking, take the lid off, stir the "stuff", and put the lid back on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine does this also, I put the edge of a rag between the lid and the crock on one edge and it seems to keep it from rattling. I never thought of it as a safety issue, just an annoyance, but I am always home when its on too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I own 3 crockpots of varying age, they all do this.

Place a towel over the top of it to help weight it down & also to keep the splatters under control.
    Last edited by cheles2kids; 03-04-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have three crock pots and none of them do this... But then I mostly only cook on low

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My crock pot is less than a year old and it rattles whenever I am cooking something on high. When it starts to do this, I take it as a signal that the food is now hot. It is like a built in reminder for me to save a little energy by turning the power down to low so that it can simmer and make everything taste even better! Mmmm...Crock Pot Chili!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mine did that rattling thing until I stretched a big library rubber band between the two "handles" across the top of the lid. The noise was driving me nuts!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My mom did a few of these tricks back in her day - the wet tea towel across the top to help hold the lid down, the elastic band and the best was the wet towel between the lid and crock - not folded really high but just enough to 'cushion' the noise, if you will. I'm not sure how the newer crocks are but they all seem to have a more heavier lid - made of glass and/or with a metal rim/edge. Our is made of plastic so it jumped and rattled ALL THE TIME even on low.

Again...my mom was always home when it was turned on. There's a few cooking shows that instruct you to turn it on, go to work and when you come home dinner's ready but that's iffy to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My crock pots do that too. I've never given it any thought, it's just a thing that crock pots do. I place mine on my large cookie sheet with sides while in use that way if any water sputters out, it's contained and not all over the place.