de-squirreling an attic
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default de-squirreling an attic

I've got squirrels in my attic! Does anyone know of some sure-fire ways to get rid of these buggers? I was going to go the humane route and use a havahart trap, but the only legal thing to do would be to release them back onto our property. We also can legally kill them because they are causing damage to our home (chewed through walls, taking out insulation, may be getting to the wires).

I got a couple of sticky rat boards to put up there, and dh found some spring traps (including a petrified squirrel) that the previous owner must have put there (why, oh why didn't the home inspector see those?). I've seen some pellets that can be spread around, but the smell only lasts 30 days, so need to be reapplied. Does anyone have experience with wolf urine?

Any tips would be appreciated. I'd like to avoid have a wildlife pest person out to deal with this ($$$$) if I can.

TIA!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A tom cat will usually do it!

Registered User old_lady_in_the_shoe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I had this task,
    the first thing I would do, was locate how they were getting in and out, while you still have tons of activity going on. Once I was sure I knew how/where they were coming and going, I would trap them. I would get a lot of trap cages, spring rat traps and the like and just start collecting them up. You really cann't trap and release, because they will come back, even if you let them go several miles away. Once you think you have the problem under control, then it is time to quickly close up the holes, that you previously found. Don't use wood, or other items they can chew through, because they will do just that and be right back inside. Use aluminum flashing or tin to patch up the holes. They will chew through most anything else...even aluminum screening. While patching the Known holes, inspect for ANY possible other holes and patch them as well, if found.

I would also suggest getting a cat...they are the best squirrel getters around...and cheaper than fixing up your house from the squirrels, who will steal your insulation, cause electrical problems and who knows what... so even if you don't want one, it would be a good thing to have.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I found this... http://www.batguys.com/services/squirrels/faq.html

AND, if all else fails, these guys are local...
    Last edited by Lady_V; 03-01-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are devices which you can install at the entry points for your squirrels. These allow squirrels to leave your home (what you want) but not re-enter. They're one way traps. Very effective, very humane. Plus you won't end up with rotting squirrel carcasses in your attic.

I'm not sure what they are called, they're very common, but your local pest control guys can help you out with that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here is a really basic link on ehow:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4424142_get-...paign=yssp_art

Here is another link that gives you some ideas of where they might be coming in and how to seal them!
    http://www.247wildlife.com/squirrelatticrid.htm