Struggling with whether to downsize cable service
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Struggling with whether to downsize cable service

I'm struggling with whether to downscale my current cable account. For a full year, I had a great promo which significantly discounted the cost for digital preferred service (this package that I'm referring to does NOT include any of the premium channels like HBO). . Now that the promo has ended (as of March 31) and the price that I'm paying per month has increased over $30, I really ought to call and cancel the fancy service....but I'm soooo used to having the extra channels! I'm not a movie goer and I don't go out much really, so my only true endulgence is having a wide channel selection. But isn't that justifying an unnessary expense??? Wouldn't Dave Ramsey and others advise against the frills package and just getting the basic service?? Why is this so hard for me? Does anyone else struggle with their cable service?? Any advice? Should I cancel or keep?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd cancel it. Honestly, with so many shows on Hulu (if you're in the US) and options like NetFlix (or similar services) it's not as necessary and less commercials to entice. Additionally, lack of cable means you can enjoy other things, especially with warmer weather coming. I've been trying to get my g/f to cancel it but I know it's one of her escapes right now from the stress of school, work and some past traumas. I'm hoping that once school is done this spring we can cancel it and spend evenings walking, talking or just reading beside each other.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It comes down to two things. Can you afford it and do you want it. We have satellite simply because we enjoy it. We DVR shows we like and watch them on the weekend. In my opinion, you can be frugal and spend the extra thirty bucks a month. We never go out at all. That is our entertainment budget. Now if things changed, I assure you we would cancel it because we see it as a luxury. For now, it is a luxury we can afford.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We cancelled the HBO portion of our cable service and will save $15 per month. Think it got to be a habit which we didn't use enough to warrant the monthly price. Let it go, see how it is for 6 months - you can also reup for it.

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We called our cable service and told them we were wanting to discontinue our cable....they asked why and we said we didn't want to pay the non promo prices....they re-issued the promo to us...call them and ask them if they will extend your promo...if not can you cancel and then have it turned back on with another promo?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We cut three channels and save $25.00 a month. We don't even miss it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We eliminated all HBO and MAX channels because we noticed that they too were cutting back and not offering anything wer hadn't already watched. We never missed them. Not once.

After DH lost his job, we discontinued all DTV expecting to seriously go into withdrawel as we don't do anything else for "entertainment." It never happened. Not once.

Our total savings came to over $80 a month. The freedom from not having that monthly bill,........priceless!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I say to try to get promo extended. If that doesn't work try cutting what you don't need/want. For us we cut HBO and went to Netflix and HULU.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default bundling of services

I am wondering does anyone have any tips on bundling of phone/internet services?

My goal is to bundle land line/internet/cell phone. But I want to keep my landline number. Reason...my kids have just mastered the number. Or I would just cancel the landline and use the cellphone.

Any ideas for me?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All the responses that I received were awesome!!! My decision is to do a combination of responses. Basically, I'm going to be calling Comcast tomorrow to see if the promo can be extended. If they say "no", then the extra channels will be cancelled. The worst that can happen is that I'm totally devasted without my addional shows and I add them back on at a later date. I'll keep you all abreast on what they say. Thanks!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lotsadebt View Post
    I am wondering does anyone have any tips on bundling of phone/internet services?

My goal is to bundle land line/internet/cell phone. But I want to keep my landline number. Reason...my kids have just mastered the number. Or I would just cancel the landline and use the cellphone.

Any ideas for me?
    I have friends who've gotten their land line number assigned to their cell phone. Ask if you can do this!

Re the other, talk to your provider and find out what they have/can offer OR plan to offer in the future, if they know? Sometimes, just asking if they have such a promotion coming up will allow them to talk to you about it. I've gotten some great deals by asking what promotions they have coming up? Sometimes they don't know, but sometimes they do and can give you the deal.

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

UPDATE!!

Well, I phoned the cable company today and asked whether they would extend the promo. I was put on hold for a few moments, and when the rep came back she told me that it was not a promo they were offering right now. I responded by saying, "OK, well in that case I would like to cancel". I think she thought I meant that I wanted to cancel my service altogether (and not just the extra channels), but before I could explain, she said that I was being transferred to their Retention Dept. The lady who then came on asked several questions regarding bundle pkgs., but I told her I wasn't interested. Then she asked if they could keep me as a customer and reduce my monthly bill by $10 per month for 6 mos. I told her that was still out of my budget. She asked if I would want to downgrade to fewer channels, still with the $10 discount/6 mos special. I ended up taking that deal, since it balances out to the same amount I'm used to paying....only with fewer channels. I think I can work with that for now. Maybe after the 6 mos., I can get a better special. Many thanks to everyone who responded. Your support is soooo helpful. You guys ROCK!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in the same boat. I had the special and when it was over the rate went up. I called and they gave me a small discount and added a couple of channels. I am on the verge of cancelling the phone and cable entirely. The money can be better used in other ways.

I did check my cell phone companies website and downgraded our family plan. I will now pay $10 less a month (plus less taxes) and have 100 less minutes. It is just hubby and I and we don't use half the minutes.

I told hubby last week that I have just about run out of places/ways cut corners/save money.

Mary

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am thinking about switching back to cable after the satellite dish promo is over. Not sure if I will since I really like the channels I get now. Will check out hulu to see what that is about.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have never paid for any of those extra channels. When I look at the listing's on them it looks like a lot of old movies I have already seen and the same movies over and over.