garage organizing ideas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default garage organizing ideas

How do you organize your garage or what ways would you like to organize it? Where do you put this and that?

We're fortunate that our garage has a full wall of closets, a mini loft, peg boards and a work table. But we have to still go through it every year and re-organize everything because we tend to toss things into the garage. Strangely, we don't park our car in it. LOL And not because it's that bad, but we just park in the driveway most of the time.

Our garage has bikes, roller blades, kites, safety gear, sleds, beach toys, a portable dishwasher, file cabinet and lawn and garden stuff in it. I'm sure more that I can't think of.

Love to hear organization solutions for all places in the home, but the garage seems to be one place I've not done much to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Our garage is half of a one-car garage. Long story, but the garage was made into living space by the former family.

Anyway, we have all of our bikes, our lawnmower, the snowblower, gas and oil and painting stuff and beach chairs and beach toys and a wagon and dh's monstrous bag of hockey stuff.

I recently organized it. I put the summer tools on one side of the garage and the winter tools, in the back on the other. I'll switch them around when the seasons change. I repurposed a bookcase and now have the gas and oil cans on the shelves, which is great, because now they aren't on the floor. The beach chairs and beach toys are now hanging on hooks on the wall, along with the hula hoops. The bikes are standing up on the right side and dh's hockey bag is laying on the left side. I repurposed some storage drawers from the basement and now it's holding painting stuff.

We can now use the garage and get things and it's just wonderful!

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't. That area of my property has been designated as 'man-land' just as the shed out back is 'the murder shed' (long story behind that name) and the basement is 'man-tana'.

Therefore, they are the responsibility of my dear husband. It works out quite well for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My garage is 'fairly' organized but since it is just me I don't have to share the space and can do what I want. It is a very deep one car garage, attached to the house. Door enters into kitchen. Another door goes out into back yard.

I have three larger cabinets and a shelf. Two of the three cabinets are gardening stuff, and sit side by side. The smaller things (gloves, ties, pens, baggies, wasp spray, etc.) go in them. The shelf holds the larger gardening things...sprinklers and chemicals. The third cabinet is for 'everything else'....car wash products, cleaning rags, faucet timers, boxes of screws, nails, hammer, etc. Organized within each cabinet. My tools (spades, rakes, shovels) are hung on two nails per each, on a horizontal 2 X 4, along one wall. The smaller tools are on the same wall; hung on a tie rack that is nailed between two of the supporting garage boards.

A prior renter put up a hollow core door, laid horizontally, held with metal wire and screw eyes. It is up high and out of the way so some seldom used bigger things go on that if they aren't too heavy....my cold frame, small lawn ornaments, etc.

Pretty much it.....other things along the side, but my car goes in the garage. And I also have a chest freezer out there, along with a lawn mower, tiller, couple edgers, and numerous pots.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the secret is to utilize every inch of wall space and hang stuff from the ceiling, if possible. There are all sorts of wall-hanging devices available.

I only wish we had a garage ;-). Our basement is where DH tends to dump everything. It is in desperate need of a complete cleaning and reorganizing. I've hinted to DH that we should do it this summer.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have Gorilla shelves from Sams Club. We put everything possible in storage tubs on them. That takes one whole wall. Bikes and the storage camping turtle hang up on hooks. Garden tools go in a old garbage can. Thats about as organized as it gets. My DS uses it for a music room so its always kinda messy anyway.