What do people do?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default What do people do?

I know sort of silly. I've noticed most people do more than I do. I don't mean more cleaning, more cooking, more working. But more activities. I know part of this is where I live. Part is that I'm not a spender, haven't ever had a sitter (other than my neighbor once), don't have family nearby, but it just seems like everyone is milling around and I am not.

So what are all you people DOING? LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Riding the Harley all over discovering little towns, places of interest, historical spots, etc. As soon as we have a nice day or two we are going to check out Crystal Beach, High Island, Gilchrist, and that general area. It was devastated by Hurricane Ike last year. Hubby and I both spent time in that area during the summer when we were growing up.

We take our own food, water, drinks, etc. and the Harley gets great gas mileage; so these are frugal outings. We take the camera also and take pix. Sometimes friends go with us or meet us at our destination, but generally it's just the two of us. Hubby and I are GREAT friends and we enjoy doing things together, but we are not joined at the hip.

We ride the Harley around our general area and check out garage sales and estate sales. We don't generally buy much, but I can usually carry whatever we buy on the back of the Harley. Since we are close to home, if we find something big, we go home and get the truck. I got a great old armoire that someone altered and added shelves to and it fits in my office perfectly.

Our newest activity - every other Friday (hubby is off on Fridays) we go to the grocery salvage stores! Hubby has become VERY interested in buying groceries cheaply!

We are doing projects around the house; so that takes us to Home Depot, Lowes, etc. You should see some of the stuff I have carried home on the back of the Harley!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No kids? Older kids?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Older kid, out of the house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'll be 60 by the time that happens. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OH MY! Kid is actually my stepdaughter and she is 22. I am 54 and hubby will be 44 at the end of this month. About 10 years ago, hubby stated we could get a surrogate (my egg/his sperm/partial hysterectomy) to carry a baby for us.

And I said, WHO the h e double hockey sticks is going to raise it?" Cuz it wasn't going to be me!

miz
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have Harleys also, and enjoy going with or with out our great friends. We aren't able to to as often as we had planned to at this time in our lives because we are raising 2 of our grandchildren. Short day trips that are inexpensive just to maitain some sanity!! It the best.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have 4 kids still living at home, that are all homeschooled. I babysit beteen 2 and 4 other kids also. Pretty much the only time I get out, is for homeschool functions, kids sports, sparks, cadets or grocery shopping. LOL!!! I have no life of my own. A break for me is when dh takes the kids out and the house is all mine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Isn't it amazing what a short ride will do for your attitude?!?! When I sell mom's house, I am going to buy ME a Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by miz View Post
    We have Harleys also, and enjoy going with or with out our great friends. We aren't able to to as often as we had planned to at this time in our lives because we are raising 2 of our grandchildren. Short day trips that are inexpensive just to maitain some sanity!! It the best.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't go anywhere really. Not that I don't want to. I used to go and do things, not so much anymore. My dh is working his butt off lately with some freelance work after working his regular job. He hardly has anytime off and when he does you can't blast him out of the house.

He is not the type to go to art festivals or those things that come around every once in awhile. I should/could drag my dd 16 with me I suppose.
    I really don't have that many close friends left to do much with. My bff and I have had a falling out after over 25 years. So stupid really. Even when we were bff she has a very bad back and could not go out for long if she would go at all. One of my other good friends was dealing with cancer and all of its aftermaths, she didn't handle it well and started drinking. The cancer came back and she passed away on valentines day. The two other friends I have work their tails off.

I need a change for sure.

great idea for a thread, can't wait to see all the fun stuff others are doing

Oh, by the way I have two children ds24 and dd16

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I once had such a busy life I had to keep a very detailed calendar in order to keep pace. I did a lot of out-of-town, out-of-state, traveling. My busy life included my home-based business, volunteer "jobs" and boards I served on, social organizations, classes I taught on any number of subjects, business-related training sessions I did in a 5-State area, very busy in our church and schools, 2 busy kids and a busy hubby, and the primary care-giver for our elderly parents.

Now, I've transitioned to doing "anything I want" as I tell those who inquire about what I'm doing, and it's completely the opposite from what my life once was. When I turned 50 (I'm 56 now), the kids were out of the house, the 3 living parents had died in an 18-month period of time (talk about stress), I sold my home-based business, resigned all volunteer positions and positions on boards, and turned into the ultimate home-body and absolutely love it. I had spent the first 50-years of my life happily "doing" for everyone else and giving back to our community, so I decided to spend the next 50-years for hubby and myself.

Now, I primarily do a lot of research and writing about things I'm interested in, and have given up the ultra-busy social and public life. Hubby and I love spending time together on home projects, travel, and just "hanging out" together, and our time with the family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Well, Sara, I figure it must just be about personality types.
    I think I'm a closet goer. I have family that are goers. They take their kids everywhere with them though. I'm always impressed by their family's spirit of adventure.
    I have tons of places I want to go but I can't ever seem to work out the details. I'm generally too overwhelmed trying to coordinate everyone's needs for every trip and trying to make it within our means that I usually decide it's too much for me and we don't go. I'm working on the perfectionism and indecision.
    When dh and I get away from the kids(left with my parents)we usually go out for a meal(dh's request)and to an antique store(for me!). We stick to places that we don't take the kids.
    I've never paid for a babysitter either. My parents sit for us every other month or so.
    If I could be out going and doing, it'd probably be going to the gym(have to join one first), sight-seeing local history, conservation workdays, and ministry work.~

Registered User Ocean_Beach_Dweller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't do much either, I work fulltime and go to school fulltime, so i like to spend my limited free time at home. My favorite activity is to lay in the sun and read though, so i usually hit the beach or a park for that.

I'm 24, no husband and no kids though, so my time is all mine lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hubby and I are just figuring out what we "do", at this point in our life. DD is 16 now and has a lot more of her own life. But until just this year our entire life seemed to revolve around her utterly. Where she had to be, what she had to do, etc.

Now we go for long beach walks a couple times a week, do home remodel projects, watch BBC series, have become politically active in our community, and we're catching up on 16 years of interrupted reading!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh & I mostly go to #3 son's sports events it's tennis season now. But we do plan get away weekends just for us. We went to Sagatuck & Grand Haven for a weekend and go to visit our #1 son in Ky so that's fun and our relatives live 2 hrs away so we go to visit them also at different time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast