Rusty Cast Iron Skillet?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Rusty Cast Iron Skillet?

Hi, I recently won:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140386070789&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I received it and found a few gummy spots on it. I asked the seller what to do but never received a response. I figured it was vegetable or olive oil - heard those can produce gummy spots. I was able to get rid of that by rubbing it with an oily cloth.

After oiling and setting aside, my mom took a close look and said the pan was rusty. I wasn't sure because I have heard newly seasoned pans can be brown. I took it outside during the day and see this img98.imageshack.us/g/zi60139.jpg

I am pretty sure that's rust. I asked the seller about it and got this:

Q: This fry pan was not rusty you have to take care of it right and season it. This fry pan was worth more than you paid for. It is a collector item and I use skillets older than this one and have no problem with them."

Maybe it's my imagination but I can see how the pan might have been rusty to begin with. It's difficult to tell indoors. Is the pan rusty? What should I do?

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As a rule you NEVER use soap on cast iron, however in the case of rust a really good scrub with SOS pads till you remove the rust is in order. After your sure you've got it all place pan on burner and heat until dry. Then reseason the cast iron pan. You can fix surface rust, which is what it sounds like it might be.

We've had cast iron that has been handed down in my family from my great, great, great (there may be one more great in there, I can't remember for sure) Grandmother. She brought them with her from Ireland. We use these on a daily basis and ocassionally we've had to do this and they are in perfect condition.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with polly, you should never use soap on cast iron pans, after using a scrubby pad or sos pad on it rinse it, my husband turns the pan upside on the stove burner, I forgot to mention he turns on the burner, until dry then he he puts Crisco grease all over the pan and lets it dry.

We got 6 different size pans. One is very old and was very rusty, we got rid of the rust and now we use it all the time.

Good luck.
    Last edited by triker; 03-30-2010 at 04:04 AM. Reason: I forgot to mention to turn on the burner

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't even use SOS, I use baking soda. It is also dried on the stovetop (oven is OK too if you have it on for something else). It then gets a generous coating of coconut oil.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I ave to do that all the time. I have people here in this house that leaves water in mine. Aftr I came home from the hospital I had to hunt mine down because they hid them.and 3 of them were rusted. They don't even use them because my ds's mil said it was bad. My son uses my pans and just shakes his head. Clean them good and they will last orever.
    Fern

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There are times when you just have to use soap in a cast iron pan. It will not ruin it. You're just washing out the pan, not scrubbing and scraping, and soap helps cut the grease. But for rusty spots, which happen, a little steel wool or a Brillo will clean it right up. Dry it with a paper towel and then set it on a low stovetop or in a warm oven to get every last bit of moisture.

What you never want to do with cast iron is soak it, not so much because of rust but because it will soften that gorgeous black layer of "seasoning" you work so hard to build up. For the same reason never cook anything tomato based in cast iron as the natural acids will strip your seasoning too.

I've been cooking in cast iron ( and cleaning it) most of my life. It's great stuff, takes a lot of abuse, so don't be afraid of it.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have two cast iron dutch ovens that are used only for camping. Try as I will, they get rusty every year. Be it the random rain fall, sitting in the fire that cooks off the oil coating, or - like I did this year- left them outside over the winter. (woops!)

I pop them in my oven, set it to clean for 2 hours, and then walk away. Once done and cool enough to handle I scrub the rust off with a steel wool scrubbie and reseason with oil. I then "cook" it in the oven for about an hour and their good to go for the season.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Don't use soap!

I don't understand the person who said to use soap in cast iron sometimes, to "cut grease." You need the pan to have some oil in it, so what is the big deal about having some grease in the pan?!? Just wipe out excess with a paper napkin or something. We use ours all the time, we have them in many sizes from small to large. In fact we rescued a really large one (16 inches across or so?) from a metal recycling bin.

I have never put soap in my cast iron frying pans, see no need to. Also, you do wind up eating the iron a bit, I had low iron until I started using them. The scary thing is you wind up eating your Teflon from those pans as well.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredVeryEarly View Post
    I don't understand the person who said to use soap in cast iron sometimes, to "cut grease." You need the pan to have some oil in it, so what is the big deal about having some grease in the pan?!? Just wipe out excess with a paper napkin or something.
    Sometimes I have far too much grease in it to use a napkin to clean it. Or after cooking a lot of food, I have grease and and all kinds of bits of food in it. So I wash it under hot water with soap and a scrubbie.

I oil it before I use it, or just cook some bacon in it to get it ready to go again.

My point was that soap will NOT ruin the pan.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the link and all the info...........

I only have one medium size one but I like it and use it quite a bit. I have had to use soap sometimes though.....I agree with CH......doesn't ruin it but I make sure I dry it well and re-season it. I use the soapy sos pads...........don't always have the plain ones on had when I need them..........thus the soap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi there

I just wanted to add that if you are dissatisfied with your purchase, you can get your money back, regardless of whether or not the buyer accepts returns. Ebay now has a buyer protection program, as does PayPal.

I read the listing of the item and the person did not talk about the rust spots in the listing, which was a little deceptive. So, if you would rather not go through all the trouble of trying to remove the rust, you can just file a claim through Ebay and get your money back.

Good luck, whichever option you decide!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If for some reason that something sticks to your cast iron you can use the plastic tab that comes on potatoes and things as a scraper..it won't hurt the cast finish but will get the stuck off. Even bread has these tabs in some brands.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh and I bought a cast iron skillet at a yard sale a few years back. It had some rust on it... We got 2 - 2 liter bottles of coke, put a stopper in the sink, poured both bottles in, and put the skillet in and left it there 24 hours. Pulled it out, rust spots gone, gave it a wash (we don't use soap), and then seasoned it. It's been fine ever since.

Hope yours works out for you!
    Kace - Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Skillet pans are best cookware with versatile quality. You can cook overdone steaks and clean it up easily too. Things will work excellently as long as you have the fit cooker for your cookware.