This is more a musing than a question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default This is more a musing than a question

Has anyone noticed that so many people introduce themelves on the welcome wagon, tell a little bit about themselves and then disappear never to be heard from again.

I don't always reply to the welcome wagon posts but the couple of times that I have 'welcomed' people, they have never posted again.

I believe that there was one lady from Scotland who has (I believe) never posted again (I answered on this post because I too am from Scotland and thought it was nice to have a fellow Scot on board).
    The same goes for the Russian guy.
    There are probably many more.

Is it a normal thing that only a small percentage stay or is it something that has always been the case?

Just curious (I am very curious lately it seems LOL).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am sort of one of those people. Before joining I did a lot of reading of the forum. After joining I posted about 14 times and just visited perhaps once a week. I read the some posts but did not reply a lot. So in my case I was around, just not active.

I think that people are just really buisy. So they write when they can. But at the end of the day forums are only helpful if people participate. That is why I have decided to try and make an effort now and post. As for the other people, they don't know what they are missing. This forum is great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've noticed that too. Maybe they just want to read the boards and will comment when the mood strikes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I "lurked' for about 3 months before I even joined. Then it was awhile before I ever posted. Then it was a long time before I ever shut up.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dutchie - I have totally noticed the same thing.

They don't know what they're missing!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can only answer for myself.
    I read a lot. When I am on FV, sometimes I log in, and sometimes I don't. Maybe I read a good thread and run out of time to answer. Then when I log in again, I forgot about the one I thought was a good one. I think it's just called life ?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I lurked for 2-3 days then joined. I was hesitant to post at first because I used to post on another forum and all I got was criticism, rudeness and people wanting to argue if you had an opinion. I soon learned that this forum was not like that. Now I love to post. I try to post only when I know what I'm talking about though. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's the behaviour of many forum users regardless whether it's FV or elsewhere. I almost put it akin to the big trans continential highway that goes through the small town. Lots of people will go through it; some will stop for breakfast but will be on their way soon enough; some will be the "vacationers" (come for breakfast, go away for a while and then come back again); and others will stop for breakfast, then lunch, dinner and set down roots. And then there are those who have breakfast and then spam to their hearts content (they are "ebil") It is the nature of the "interwebs".

I don't think there's anything that one can do to get people to stay as it really depends on how they feel about it and whether they feel a connection here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I post when the mood strikes. I like to read the boards, though. I read all of the new posts daily. I just haven't felt the mood to post anything myself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think some folks, make the realization that they are in financial trouble. Are wasting significent amounts of money on interest or can just barely pay their minimums. They go to the internet for help and find us. They join and then post to the welcome wagon and then loose interest when they realize that it takes work to get out of debt. There are no easy answers. You can't live above your means AND pay all of your bills. You must cut back, you have to do things like, dry clothes on a line, make your own detergent, shop sales and use coupons if you get to shop at all. They realize this and decide its not for them and maybe they can refinance the house again, or get another loan from someplace/one and put off the problem for a few more years.

I think they join looking for an easy answer to their problems and are put off when they realize there isn't one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Josephhgoins View Post
    I think some folks, make the realization that they are in financial trouble. Are wasting significent amounts of money on interest or can just barely pay their minimums. They go to the internet for help and find us. They join and then post to the welcome wagon and then loose interest when they realize that it takes work to get out of debt. There are no easy answers. You can't live above your means AND pay all of your bills. You must cut back, you have to do things like, dry clothes on a line, make your own detergent, shop sales and use coupons if you get to shop at all. They realize this and decide its not for them and maybe they can refinance the house again, or get another loan from someplace/one and put off the problem for a few more years.

I think they join looking for an easy answer to their problems and are put off when they realize there isn't one.
    I think that you and Linus are both correct.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Very interesting tho. I was here for well over a year before I posted anything. I enjoyed reading daily and the GAMES!! I finally wanted to post a "thank you" because all the info that I received from the reading.

Maybe we need a "I know you are lurking, come and join us" thread!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hope that those who post on the Welcome wagon will stay or at least come back - that's why I try to welcome everyone!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It took me 6 months just to figure out how to post - I never did the welcome wagon.
    Sometimes it felt like school - the new girl on the block and didn't know how to fit in.
    I'm glad I stayed- if I ever have something on my mind I know someone out there in fv has gone through the same thing, has an answer or will just give a hug.
    The nicest people I've never met

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well Im new and really its not very easy to join a established forum, You all know each other and are friends Its like walking up on a group of ppl talking and butting in with my opions. I'd say its a little uncomfortable for some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast