Best laundry soap?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Best laundry soap?

I have 3 pubesent(sp?) boys who play football....needless to say they STINK! Well even though they ALL wear deoderant and body sprays they do sweat and stink. My problem and question is in regards to the laundry. Their clothes stink even after I wash and dry them. I can still smell...sometimes worse the sweat/BO on the clothes. Is there a laundry soap that is best in removing these odors and stains? I currently buy "cheap" detergent....Sun or Xtra. Your help ASAP is appreciated

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Febreeze laundry additive is the bomb! It is used in addition to detergent, and can be found in your laundry isle. It runs about $10 a bottle and will remove every odor, even skunk or cat pee-Don't ask

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've had excellent results with Foca brand powdered laundry detergent added in with my regular liquid laundry detergent.

I just add a small scoop, (about 1-2 tbsp), in with the dirty laundry, then add my regular brand liquid detergent in the dispenser, add whatever else in their own dispensers and let it go... voila`-clean smelling laundry.

Foca detergent can be a bit difficult to find, so either Google it or find a Save A Lot store near you.

You may want to try using some baking soda in your laundry also...it's a fantastic multi purposer...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could add some Borax for a boost.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are you using cold water to wash the clothes? I find it not as efficient for this type of laundry. I use warm for these types of loads, and I throw in some bleach - not a lot, maybe 1/2 cup for a full load. I realize some of the clothes say not to, but I rarely have a problem, and there is color-safe bleach also, of course.

I also agree with using borax. It provides a boost with cold water washing in particular, but also just in general with laundry.

Recently I've been using the Aldi brand of laundry soap, Tilandia, or something like that, and I have to say it works quite well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Use unscented regular Tide and double rinse. I always wash in hot. And make sure they are bathing more than once a week and actually using the deoderant. My DS is 18 Thurs. BTDT. Oh, and make sure they are not wearing those jeans multiple days. My DS and friend actually used to have contests at 12y.o.
    Now,thankfully,he showers everyday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i vote w/ the borax poster.

also, instead of borax, you can add baking soda (or washing soda) and vinegar. great for getting rid of odors!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Baking Soda in the laundry?

Baking Soda Tip 7 Uses For Baking Soda in the Washing Machine

And/Or adding white vinegar to your wash water and rinse cycle?

Remove perspiration odor and stains on clothing, as well as those left by deodorants, by spraying full-strength white distilled vinegar on underarm and collar areas before tossing them into the washing machine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It would probably be worth it to get a bottle of Tide Sport for these loads -- it's formulated to fight those types of scents and I find it works great on my workout clothes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I only use the homemade liquid laundry soap now but for an extra boost when needed I add some Borax. I also always use hot water to wash and cold to rinse. A little vinegar in the rinse can also help those smells.

When I used regular laundry detergent I preferred Tide. It always seemed to get the stains and smells out. You still would need to wash in hot water and vinegar in the rinse would help.

If your sons are sweating and smelling that much I suggest they bathe daily in hot water, soap up and lather good before rinsing. Boys often tend to barely get wet and then go. Also sounds like they may need a stronger deodorant. Just remind your boys that if you can smell it on their clothes others can too....and that includes the girls. wink *I have a son so I do understand. My son has always taken a bath or shower every night because he gets sweaty. He uses Arm and Hammer deodorant and it seems to work well. He has allergies to some of the other brands of deodorant.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the others about the vinegar in the rinse...I forgot about that one when I posted yesterday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have had this problem with some clothes that I purchased from Goodwill. I ended up soaking them overnight with a cup of my homemade laundry soap and a cup of baking soda and then washed like normal. TaDa! They now smell fresh and clean and not like a nursing home.