Frugal Village Forums banner

microwave uses

Tags
microwave
2K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  SwirlyThing 
#1 ·
Other than the typical reheating of leftovers or coffee or for popcorn, how else do you use your microwave?

One way I use it is to make potatoes or sweet potatoes if I'm too rushed to bake then in the oven.

#7 ·
I use my microwave to cook cream pie filling and pudding
mix in when making banana pudding or coconut pie or chocklate pie lot better then standing over a hot stove, i use it for lots of cooking and when i have left overs i put a plate food in and warm it up,make home made mac & cheese in microwave just few of the things i use it for.

#10 ·
melt butter, melt choc chips, reheat LO's, boil h2o, ditto bake potatoes, cook bacon, scramble an egg, cook cookie dough-then put ice cream on top, muffin mix-keep turning in small bowl, cook my old fashion oatmeal, cook frozen gr turkey or hamburger-then use chopper to break up, heat canned soups, make gr bean casserole, chicken & dressing (boxed dressing & can of chicken), used to warm up baby bottles-shake & test b4 giving to baby-about 7 sec if I remember correctly, warm up rolls, I know there's more ...use it every day, several x's a day, couldn't live without it.... &, & use it in the RV :)

#11 ·
Since they are questioning microwave safety with many container products, I have been using mine less and less and going back to more conventional ways of reheating.

Foods taste better the conventional way and we are less likely to snack.

#12 ·
I use my microwave for thawing meats when I've forgotten to take something out for dinner, for cooking potatoes or sweet potatoes, and also for cooking fresh asparagus (only 3 minutes!). I like pan popped popcorn better than microwave, so it almost never gets used for that. But, of course, it gets frequent use for reheating leftovers. :)

#16 ·
In the past I've used mine to dry herbs. :clover:

#18 ·
My favorite use: stab a medium acorn squash all over, microwave for 5 minutes. Done and done.

Other uses: I have a warming disk for small animals, holds heat for 8-10 hours which I use as backup heating during winter.

defrosting meat, mine is very good with its temps, I just punch in the weight.
---

Funny story, when we got our first microwave, I was a kid. My dad put his metal watch in it to dry it after he had washed it off. KABOOM CRACK SNAP!!!! Yahhhh, he still hasn't lived down that one.

#19 ·
I steam vegetables. Heat tv dinners and frozen convience foods. Defrost meat. Warm refried beans. Warm canned vegetables. Cook single servings of oatmeal/cream of wheat. Boil water for tea/cocoa. I also warm up a wheat bag that I use to keep my toes warm at night in winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.