Frugal Village Forums banner

Furniture - getting the best price, repair or replace buying used etc

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  MrMom 
#1 ·
Ok so we have this couch that is about 5 yrs old looks great but HURTS your back to sit on, just no support from the springs or cushions anymore.

Tried some partical board under cushions, made it like a park bench, tried a thick foam pad under cushions sorta worked for a while but not anymore, also tried some thinner cardboard type board, that helped the best for a few weeks but fell apart slowly.

My thoughts were since it looks great still was maybe get some new cushion foam, priced it out at a few places for medium to high quality cushions it was about $200 and still not sure if it will totally fix it since the springs are kinda shot too.

Wife interested in just buying a new one, has anyone had luck going into a gardner white or art van kinda place and laying down cash to get a discount? Say if the couch is $1000 laying down $800 for it out the door?

I had considered craigslist where i buy and sell alot of things from but wife is leary of this for a few reasons from her allergy to pets, potential lice/bugs, buying someone else's used couch to her is like buying someone else's problem.

I am kinda stuck on this one not sure what path to go on, leaning towards the cushion replacement but if that doesn't work I will be out $200 ughhh....

Any advice besides sitting on the floor of course hehe...

Bill

See less See more
#2 ·
Big Lot has a nice one for about $699 on sale for $649. but if you had the 20% off they offer from their buzz club. @20% off 11th $20. purchase, It would be $130ish less. So $519. plus tax. That said we have gotten the last few used because of pets and teens who DESTROY the stuff.
My neighbor went right to the North Carolina outlets. Also have you looked in IKEA. Isn't that out your way??
Good luck.

#3 ·
um, where i live there is a furniture salvation army that is superb. it is the only place i would consider buying used upholstered furniture. i am on your wife's side as far as i do not buy used mattresses or upholstery.

1. is this a need or a want?
2. i wouldn't do any more stop gaps.
3. i head straight to ethan allen for sofas. i don't buy junk.

#4 ·
yep we are lucky enough to have a ikea about 25 mins away, might check there and value furniture too, guess I want too much, great quality at lower prices, i have no problem buying a used couch but see her point (that it too might be worn out or have other issues).

We do have a savings fund towards a new couch at $400 so far, worst case we save and she picks out a new one that we hopefully get another 4-5 yrs out of.

Are places like an ethan allen making better quality stuff that might last longer than say a local art van or gardner white (for those not familiar they are 2 large Michigan companies that sell furniture).

My parents always swore by lazboy but their showrooms are all gone that i know of in MI at least, art van does carry some of their products still tho...

Figured too i can always try the cash in hand thing to see if they will give a discount over their current sticker prices...

#5 ·
#6 ·
My Basset couch has been the best one I ever had since I've slept on it since the husband left me almost 10 yrs. ago.It is old I bought it in 93.I agree with ladykemma 2 get a good quality one and it will last a long time.The last I knew Lazyboy was still made in the USA which is a big plus with me.

#7 ·
I wouldn't consider getting a used fabric piece of furniture or mattress unless I knew the people very well and knew how well they kept their house. (But this is just me). Perhaps someone you know is looking to get rid of their couch. It's worth asking around. Good luck!

#8 ·
I know I am very late to this thread, but still wanted to add my 2 cents. You have probably already purchased a new sofa, or replaced the cushions on the old. My money is on replacing the cushions. It will buy you another few years to build up the sofa fund high enough to get a decent sofa. I have worked in the furniture business for years, and have seen many changes in the last several years. Lots of competition from overseas has decimated the domestic production of furniture. Virtually none of the major brands actually produce furniture. It is all shipped from asian factories. Upholstery is an exception in some categories. Generally you do get what you pay for, mostly in terms of a warranty. Always check for a foam warranty, and use it!! England is a brand of reasonably priced upholstery that has a 10 year foam warranty. Foam is one of the more expensive components of a sofa, and it will wear out faster depending on use. A sofa sat on daily by a 250lb person will wear faster than a sofa sat on daily by a 160lb person. Just simple physics, not meant to offend anyone. Higher price brands use better foam, and have upgrade options such as foam and down, or inner spring cushions. Pay more now, and avoid having to replace that cheap sofa every 4-5 years and save money in the long run. Good Luck!!:tay:

#9 ·
Hey there thanks for the reply and input :)

We did end up replacing it with a $300 used berkline we found on craigslist, they had paid $1050 for it less than a year ago and wanted $500 we offered $300 cash on the table and within about 5 mins they came back and said ok, it has 2 built in recliners, altho it's not SUPER comfy or leather or anything its a couch and it isn't all worn like our old one was.

The built in recliner parts have steel framing so it seems to give a bit more support for me (larger heavier), after a few hrs tho you sorta feel it in the butt (need to get up move around) but for a few hrs tv at night its so much better.

So after buying the used one here we are at the moment good on it, eventually when we pay down more debt and stuff we will budget in for a new one but this will get us thru for a bit more at 1/3 the cost of new...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.