Electric Guitar Pedal ??
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Electric Guitar Pedal ??

okay so 23 yo son says to me i know what you can get me for christmas ,,, a pedal for my electric guitar - okay so what brand what type etc what does it do -i know theres more than one out there and he says I am not sure i just know friends have pedals and you can make guitar sound better . we get out a catalog from a music store - he looks at it mumbling then says i am not sure now -

of course i am a true believer that some of the best deals are found before black friday ( some coupons that are out year round for internet stores disappear at holiday time)

any tips from guitar players out there ? if not i will go to a guitar store and look but i figure their goal will be to try to sell me something more than what need or the $$ one .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ask for more specifics. Ds has several for diff. Effects.
    I have a music store I shop at and all the guys help a dumb mom out. To date I have purchased guitars,strings,effect pedals,microphones,sound muffling headphones and amps and a banjo. I don't play a darn things!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

he doesnt know the specifics lol just knows it can make it sound better - not which type etc
    guess i am gong to have to nag him to ask a friend who has one some questions

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Maybe a WAHWAH. Go on e-bay and cruise? And yes ask the friends too. Depends on what he wants but realize he will end up w/ more than one. So you prob. can't go wrong. It is likely he could try one at the store too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not likely a wahwah, that's a pretty specific sound with pretty limited application. There's lots of different types. A good "general purpose" pedal is a "grunge" pedal, I have an old one from way back in the day. Not specific to "grunge" music, just a good well rounded distortion pedal.

Depends a lot on the type of music he wants to play. If you don't mind spending a little more, or searching ebay, there are f/x pedals that can do many different things depending on how it's programmed, everything from distortion to reverb to wahwah to flange to everything in between.

If you want, post up some of his favorite bands and I'll do my best to suggest a suitable match.

Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Listen to low-1, he sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

My boyfriend has a band, and he recommends a fuzz pedal or distortion pedal. He loves his wahwah too, but didn't recommend that one when I asked him.

Tuner pedal is good, too, helps tune the guitar (obviously lol)

His specific pedal suggestions are MXR classic overdrive and EHX big muff...and a company called Way Huge. Knowing his taste in equipment, though, I'm not sure any of those would qualify as 'frugal' LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another little tip, if you are looking for inexpensive with great sounds, look at the Danelectro line.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happened to take a look at mine the other day, it's a "DOD FX69 grunge". Just did a quick online search and found a couple of reviews. The very first one call it one of the most famous distortion pedals ever. Brand new price is around $40. Just a quick search of ebay, craig's list, kijiji shows they've been holding their price pretty well, usually from $15 to $35.

FX69 Grunge Review | DOD | Guitar Effects | Reviews @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

he is going to ask his friends what they have that he has used.
    his tastes go from blink 182 to classic 80s rock like journey to billy joel ballads to some classical stuff .