Halloween costumes?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Halloween costumes?

How do you save on Halloween costumes? I put off trick or treating for my youngest until this year, he's 4 now but his sister has been going for the past couple years. Last year I dressed her up in all black and used liquid eyeliner to draw a mask and she was a robber but I don't think I can get away with dressing her like this again.

Any laying around the house ideas that won't cost anything? For a boy and a girl?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was able to find a skeleton costume that my son loved at Goodwill for $3. Would a thrift store find be in the budget?
    Try googling for free homemade costumes, I bet you will find some good ideas

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks! I forgot about thrift stores, I am willing to spend up to $10 each. I'll try googling some homemade ideas too. I'd rather not spend anything though, I think costumes are such a waste of money!

AHahaha, my husband just suggested they be white trash and we put them in white trash bags with arms and heads cut out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went one year, when I was a kid, as a piece of gum stuck under a chair. I wore a pink shirt, and carried a light-weight stool on my head. One year I did a traffic light: I wore all black, and put red, yellow and green circles on my chest. Went as Santa one year wearing red PJs and tucking a pillow at my stomach. DD usually just digs through everyone's closets and puts something together. She's come out as cow-girl, gypsy, doctor, and various anime characters without having to purchase anything.

She's also done zombie, which is really easy. Splatter fake blood over clothes, make face pale with dark eyes and blood dripping from mouth. She just digs through my makeup for inspiration.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For DD's first Halloween, I dressed her in her red footie sleeper and stuck a devil's horn headband on her. She went as a little devil. It was so darn cute! We have a picture of hubby holding her up so she can ring the doorbell. She was so tiny she couldn't reach it.

The year after she went as a witch. I used clothes she already had and stuck a dollar-store witches hat on her head. I swear it was one of her best costumes.

Since then she has done costumes based on what she already owned, mostly her play dress-up outfits: ballerina, cheerleader, cowgirl, Army man (stole the insignia off one of hubby's old uniforms) and snow fairy (we used the angel wings for a church-based 'fall festival' because they had to have religious themed costumes). The most elaborate costume I made for her was the year she went as The Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland. I had to buy the skirt material and sew it and I bought trim to make the decorative chest plate which I mostly web-fused together (iron on fusing). The make-up and hair was super easy and super fun. She borrowed my jewelry to complete the outfit.

Now that DD is getting older, she has much more say over her costume. Last year we were moving - literally driving across country and hoping we'd get to our destination on time for Halloween. She pre-planned and packed her 'costume' - Goth Girl. It was a hoot! What a way to introduce her to our new neighbors - ha, ha.

This year, I have no idea what she'll do. She is in 5th grade and that is a tender age where it isn't quite cool to go trick-or-treating but you're still young enough that you want to go. No decisions have been made, yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Halloween costumes?-red-queen-003.jpg  

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I sew and I make my own costumes. I buy fabric on clearance throughout the year, patterns when they are $1, etc. I plan as far in advance as I can. I'm already collecting stuff for a costume event next April.

I always find it tough to make something 'from around the house' because I seldom want to cut up or take apart stuff that's nice enough to have in my home.

You can do a lot with sweatpants and a matching hoodie. Add some cat ears on a headband, put socks over the hands and get some face paint to make a cat costume. You can make floppy dog ears out of felt for the dog lover.

Put black felt spots on white sweats for a cow or a dalmation.

Take a look through the patterns for inspiration. There's a lot of ideas for kids Costume Sewing Patterns by Simplicity® Patterns
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cookie your dd is so pretty!

We got dd a witch costume at Walmart for $8.

You could make lots of things from cardboard boxes.

Got to thrift stores pick out crazy looking clothes, and add a cheap mask.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been dressed up as a christmass tree before: all green clothes and some christmass decoration. Make sure you have extra safety pins with you though, there is a reason christmass trees don't walk generally.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great ideas! Thanks everyone, we might go with the zombie idea for my little boy, he likes to play "plants vs zombies" but he calls them zonkies! I'm really good with make up too! I'll just need some fake blood color.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Have you thought about a costume swap among your friends? I did that for the past two years with Moo. The first year she was an owl, second year she was a shark.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A cheap and hilarious costume for girls is The Blind Date: loud, mismatched clothes, messy hair, sloppy makeup, and a pair of sunglasses..

My 11year old will borrow from a picture we saw a few months ago online..he will wear jeans, a ratty shirt(might shop GW for a flannel shirt), a slouchy beanie,an eyebrow pencil beard and mustache, and a sign on a piece of yarn around his k reading, "will work for candy."

Other cheap costumes my kids have done..depends on your available props: a Newsie, hippi, and one daughter dressed as Bonnie, while her brother dressed as Clyde. they used thir violin cases as gun cases, and relied on cheap suits and hats from GW and a lifetime of garage sales. Remember those John Deere bed sheets that were the rage a few years back? One year the youngest son grabbed his JD top sheet and cut two eye holes so he could be a John Deere Ghost. People thought he was hilarious. WHy yes, we DO live in a farming community..why do you ask?!?
    Smurf costumes don't have to be pricey either..the hats can be found on eBay for under $5, and boy smurfs just need white sweatpants and blue sweatshirts..blue face paint would complete the look.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree shop the thrift stores. When I was little my parents square danced so we girls LOVED wearing my moms big skirts w/the petticoats and a peasant top, big earrings and make up so we looked like gypsies. 1 year my mom made me a poncho out of furry leopard material and we painted my face with whiskers and she made ears with a headband and I was a cat. My dad was in the army reserves so we had his army jacket, helmet and we were army guys. A hobo is always easy and we'd take a stick and tie our "bandana sack" on the end. My sister made my nephew a cape out of black material and got fake fangs and slicked his hair back with hair gel and then put white makeup on his face, fake blook with red lipstick, dark circles under his eyes and he was a vampire.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My youngest is my most imaginative child. He was a cow (a costume his 15 yr old brother wore when he was little!) and he was a pirate his very first Halloween (I had to as I had watched Pirates of the Caribbean while I was having him!) and those are the only 2 store bought costumes he's had.

Since then he has been a Halloween Christmas tree (I made it out of fleece and stuffed it and it fit around him sandwich board like) he had a bunch of little Halloween trinkets from the $ Store that I sewed on there as his "ornaments" and I had some battery operated Christmas lights on it. You couldn't miss him! No need for glowsticks that year!!! Oh and it had some little bells that I attached too, so not only did it light up...it jangled too! We got so many comments on it!

Last year he was a "Christmas Jack O' Lantern" again it was stuffed and sandwich board style. His eyes were made with Christmas fabric and then outlined with glow in the dark paint. His nose and mouth were some fabric with jets on them. It didn't quite turn out the way I wanted it too (nothing like the Christmas tree!) but he liked it and he now uses it as a pillow on his bed.

This year, he about did me in when he said he wanted to be "winter". Wha?!?!? Wracked my brain for a day or so trying to figure out how in the world I was going to make him "winter" but he's changed his mind and wants to be a Knight this year. I will probably ask him again in a day or two just to make sure that is what he wants to be. We shall see. A Knight is pretty tame and pretty easy to do with stuff from home! Everything he decides on has to be able to be worn with a winter coat under it so it makes it a little difficult.