Is it okay to reopen old threads?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Is it okay to reopen old threads?

Is there a time after which a new thread should be started rather than posting to an old thread?

It's clear that it would not be useful to post on a thread asking for advice or help that has been silent for a year or more, I'm asking about posting on threads that are more discussion or frugal theory threads.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~We've always seemed to lean toward the idea that if it is a discussion thread about theories or practices, it remains open for contributions. Often, very similar new threads will be merged into the old threads by a moderator when it's clear that it's re-hash with nothing unique from the similar old thread.
    Unless the discussion/topic can be re-posted as a new thread with a more current theme or discussion prompt, like a current event/blog post/personal life event, which tends to lead the discussion in a guided direction.
    You are right that question/answer type threads should not be dredged up months and years later though. It would be nice if all those were locked but it would just be too time consuming to go through the thousands of them to lock them all. :/ ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I first found FV I enjoyed reading all the old threads and was disappointed when people stopped contributing to them or even answering the questions. My vote is to keep contributing to them all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it does not matter whether it is an old or new thread. The most important is the topic has to still updated and relevant to the problems we faced today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've saw a lot of old threads that I would have replied to at one time or another in the years I've been here but didn't know if it would be thought of as out of line or whatever. When I first started here I think I read just about every post I could dredge up I thought most all of them kinda cool. Still do dig and read from time to time. Then wonder what happened to these people
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

my answer is yes if its still relevant,wasnt closed or dropped for inflammatory or inappropriatness or of course if like you mentioned it was for advise for a solved situation or the person is long gone. Sara used to "bump" old threads to stir up activity sometimes.
    If no one has interest they will just ignore it. I cant imagine anyone "yelling" about it.
    I too think it was a good idea to ask.