Healthy Eating

Thread: Healthy Eating

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Healthy Eating

Hello Everyone,

I just recently joined frugal village and am excited to start learning new tips and tricks to enhance different areas of my life. One of the most important areas I'm trying to change is my eating habits. My husband and I are trying to find ways to eat healthy (as organic as possible) without breaking the bank. We also need help with ideas for healthy meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Does anyone have any ideas/tips that can help us out in this area? Thank you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been eating 80%-90% organic for many years. I think the first step is to avoid the "dirty dozen" fruit and vegetables and replace with organic. You didn't say where you lived and that makes a big difference in the cost of going organic. If you live near a Trader Joe's, that'll help.

Some of the cheap organic things I buy are dried beans (all different kinds) and gluten-free, organic oats. You can make overnight refrigerator oatmeal with the oats (just make sure they aren't instant.) Organic Greek Yogurt is also a staple in my home. It can replace sour cream in any recipe. It has much more protein. I buy fat free, plain. I found that organic or even free range meat tastes so much better and it takes less to feel full and satisfied. I look for frozen fruit and veggies on sale. I use fruit for smoothies (those are my desserts.) Drink lots of quality water to keep your system flushed out. I don't do alcohol or coffee so water is what I drink. Once in awhile I'll have some organic milk but not that often. Brown and black rice are another organic staple. I also found slicing beef or chicken very thin and stir frying with lots of veggies and rice/beans, makes the meat go farther and is tasty.

Once I got used to whole, unprocessed food, eating out no longer appealed to me. Everything tasted greasy and too salty. Since I rarely eat out, the difference made up for the increase in cost of going organic. You also have to factor in the health benefits of good eating.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aldi's has organic

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live about 40 minutes away from a Trader Joe's and about an hour from Aldi, however I'm about 15 minutes away from Earth Origins. It is a health food store but it is pretty pricey. We love fresh fruit and eat greek yogurt almost everyday. We have switched from cows milk to silk almondmilk hoping that this would be a healthier option. We very rarely drink soda, only when we're out and about- maybe once a month. We drink loads of water. My husbands work schedule varies and he can work some mornings and some nights until 11p.m. This makes it hard to plan healthy meals and also healthy lunches for him to bring to work. We have been packing lunch meat sandwiches on whole grain bread. If you guys have any meal plan ideas that would be great!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could of course grow your own and that way you're guaranteed they are organic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To add to Russ's suggestion, if you can't/don't wish to grow your own, look for farmer's markets or co-ops in your area and ask the farmers about their practices and you might be able to find 'organic' produce that might not have the fancy, formal label but still fits the bill. As for meals- for breakfast, I love smoothies. I use a vitamixer we bought off of craigslist for $100, but a regular blender will do just fine, too. You can use whatever 'base' you like (milk, soy milk, almond milk, even water) and add fruits and veggies. Greek yogurt will add some calcium and lots of protein, and organic oats will add good carbs and help you stay fuller longer. Organic honey can add a little sweetness. You can also add flax or chia seeds if you like. You can really pack a punch to start the day with a well-balanced smoothie full of vitamins and minerals! I like spinach or kale in mine, sometimes carrots, and it's an easy way for me to get my nutrients as well as sneak some into the kids.

I also like to make muffins with veggies in them. Last week was beets and carrots. Use organic flour and veggies and you've got a light breakfast or quick snack.

'Smoosh' cookies are a favorite here, too- mashed overripe bananas, mix in nuts, seeds, oats, flax, chia, dried fruit, whatever floats your boat. If you google 'mashed banana cookies' you'll find tons of suggestions. I don't have a recipe I follow, I just mash up some bananas, add what I wish and throw them in the oven at 350 for 10-15 minutes. I store them in the fridge when they're done. They're a healthy 'treat' that's a great way to use up those extra bananas and I imagine they could easily be made organic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by khaski View Post
    To add to Russ's suggestion, if you can't/don't wish to grow your own, look for farmer's markets or co-ops in your area and ask the farmers about their practices and you might be able to find 'organic' produce that might not have the fancy, formal label but still fits the bill. As for meals- for breakfast, I love smoothies. I use a vitamixer we bought off of craigslist for $100, but a regular blender will do just fine, too. You can use whatever 'base' you like (milk, soy milk, almond milk, even water) and add fruits and veggies. Greek yogurt will add some calcium and lots of protein, and organic oats will add good carbs and help you stay fuller longer. Organic honey can add a little sweetness. You can also add flax or chia seeds if you like. You can really pack a punch to start the day with a well-balanced smoothie full of vitamins and minerals! I like spinach or kale in mine, sometimes carrots, and it's an easy way for me to get my nutrients as well as sneak some into the kids.

I also like to make muffins with veggies in them. Last week was beets and carrots. Use organic flour and veggies and you've got a light breakfast or quick snack.

'Smoosh' cookies are a favorite here, too- mashed overripe bananas, mix in nuts, seeds, oats, flax, chia, dried fruit, whatever floats your boat. If you google 'mashed banana cookies' you'll find tons of suggestions. I don't have a recipe I follow, I just mash up some bananas, add what I wish and throw them in the oven at 350 for 10-15 minutes. I store them in the fridge when they're done. They're a healthy 'treat' that's a great way to use up those extra bananas and I imagine they could easily be made organic.
    These are great suggestions. I love the mashed banana cookies. I wonder if my brother will eat them?????
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I grow what I can living in town. I make a lot of freezer meals because BF has a microwave where he works. I also make most everything from scratch so I can control what goes into things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kim, maybe if you don't tell him they're bananas!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Let me preface by saying that I am no expert on organic eating. I have come to realize, however, that the single most important food item in my diet is rice. It's so versatile, and, I can make a number of dishes with it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with everyone's posts. No one said this, but it is apparent in each post: VARIETY! Mix it up! Try the different veggies on sale in the stores, or at the farmers market. Try all the different grains. Get crazy with your smoothies. If you stick to whole foods & banish all the boxes, you are on your way. Soups are great for off schedule meals.
    Easy affordable lunches could be a baked potato. Eat it with a little sour cream, or dress it up with leftover chili & cheese. Peanut butter sandwiches are always good. Get the best quality peanut butter you can afford, on good bread- add shredded carrots for fun & leave off the jelly.
    Like Brat said, make a few meals ahead & freeze them.