What is your extreme cheapskate tactic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What is your extreme cheapskate tactic

Extreme is a reletive term. While this my be extreme to some maybe even sad, this could be considered smart. Was curious to know what lengthscyou have gone to save a few bucks. Mine is if I pass a mcdonalds or fast food place I will do a loop in the parking lot and if I happen to see a reciept I pick it up and fill out the survey and get the freebie/discount.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Uh lets see. I wouldn't let my coworker throw away a gallon size ziploc bag the other day. I took a chocolate zucchini cake in to work. He wanted to throw it away when it was all gone. I told him I would take it home and wash it out for reuse. He thought that was pretty funny. I also trash pick when I get to work for coke points. It's one of my few vices. Diet pop. I know terrible waste of money, but it is what it is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I believe that a huge portion of a family's budget is spent unnecessarily on stuff that is designed to be thrown away. When people get into financial trouble the first place they look to cut back is food (grocery shopping especially) and utilities (electricity). Well, you know what? We NEED good food to eat and we need those utilities, especially electricity. Those are two areas where we should be cutting back last. Even more so, if we want to break the bad habit of eating out (even that $7 work place lunch per day), we need to replace that experience with great food - more tempting food - from home.

Instead I recommend the first places people look to cut back are:
    ~ taxes: If you get a refund, give yourself a dope slap! Quit giving the government a free loan. They don't need your money, you do!
    ~ recreational shopping and eating out: Oh, you don't eat out? What about that bottle of water you grabbed from the cooler the last time you were going through the grocery line? What about that candy bar you grabbed from the vending machine. Stop with the impulse purchases. Buying it on clearance is NOT saving money. It is spending money you don't need to spend. Make do with what you already own. I don't know about your house but we can go three weeks without doing laundry and my closet still looks like it is stuffed to the gills. We only relent and do laundry because I'm running out of underwear and towels. I don't need anymore cute tops, earrings, or shoes! Stop, stop, stop buying them!
    ~ disposable items: I have yet to give up toilet paper but when our financial situation was the most dire, that was the only disposable item I purchased (after we ran low on our stock pile). I have also yet to figure out how to get around buying garbage bags. Talk about an item that is purchased with the intent of throwing it away! Sadly, we're required to bag our garbage so I've yet to get beyond that one. If you really want to save money, stop buying plastic baggies, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, waxes paper, paper bags, paper plates, paper towels, magazines / newspapers, and anything else that you'll ultimately throw away. And don't run out and purchase more permanent replacements for these items either! Like above, make do with what you already have.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I save water bottles and sometimes pop bottles and fill them w/ water and shove a tea bag in (take that Arizona Ice Tea lol) I refill it w/ water several times in a day.
    It takes about 10 min. to become "tea". And its calorie free

All the XL prescription bottles become sewing supply containers or bead containers for DD.

When I drove the kids to school I would occasionally pull thru BK and get a plain sausage biscuit $1.-not paying .50 for cheese. I was headed home anyway so I used our cheese and drinks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I reuse the paperbags from ff when I bring bag lunch to work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I cannot see the need to spend money on brand name toilet paper, the most disposable thing we use. So I wait until BJs has a coupon for a few dollars off their TP and then I buy the absolutely cheapest BJ brand I can find. This was totally fine when the kids were little, now they call it "prison toilet paper". Shrug, let them complain, no one's getting hurt here. They have jobs, if they hate it so much, buy their own, lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I buy the 48 oz. juices from Big Lot (Old Orchard) for $1.75 and put them in a pitcher ($3.00 for the jumbo at Big Lot) and fill the bottle 1/2 again w/ water. It tastes fine and cuts the sugar and acid.

When the kids were little I saved the FF bags and containers esp. plastic cups.We would play McDonalds instead of going
    We got all the dressup clothes at garage sales. DD had a whole storage tubs of stuff.

When the kids were little my friend and I made up coolers for lunch and took them to swim lessons. Enterance was free w/ lessons so i never bought a pass. I took Little brother and sometimes Ddad to watch then we stayed the day. My friend taught me to freeze water bottles to cool the food then you can drink them when they melt. Just write the kids names on it permanent marker. We traded snack too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

this isn't extreme because I bought it new, but I buy reliable, high MPG, small cars because up until recently I drove a ton for work. We got reimbursed for gas, so if you had a high MPG car, you made out better than someone driving a Suburban. I buy new because I am a single mom who knows nothing about car problems and I feel more secure buying new. But I think I'm ready to try used next time, since that is a huge savings. Right now I drive a neon green hatchback Hyundai Accent. People at work and patient families tease me about the color, but I like it, my kids call it the Big Green Bugger, sigh. People ask why I bought such a small car if I have 2 big kids and 2 dogs. It's tight but doable. I got the barest bones package I could, probably the only car left that does not have a remote to unlock it. It's not my favorite car I've ever had but the price was right, paid it off in 2 yrs and it meets my needs. I had a Prius I loved but got hit and it was totaled and I just could not justify paying so much more again for a car that got good mileage when there are other cheaper alternatives. But, boy, did I love that car! I am hoping to get 10 yrs out of my Big Green Bugger.

there are even smaller, better MPG cars out there but DS is over 6ft, I didn't want to make him too miserable. When each kid has a friend over, we are able to fit 5 people in it, so that's good. The only thing I really miss is seat warmers, those were awesome!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I reuse freezer bags if they have not had raw meat in them, reuse foil...... I reuse water bottles and make kool aid for him in them..cut up old clothes for rags...no undies though. Hang hang hang clothes.... use frozen veggies as ice packs..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I boil water I store it in a thermos so I don't have to waste electricity boiling water. I just came back from a holiday overseas and I brought back all my plastic shopping bags to use for rubbish at home (the city I live in has banned plastic shopping bags).
    Business Loan: $22,703k
    Home Loan 1: $73,826
    Home Loan 2: $64,127
    Emergency Fund: $2248.51 /$2000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Extreme? when I used dish towels for diapers and bread wrappers for plastic pants on my baby as there was NO money for diapers.

Extreme? eating road kill, and weeds when there was no money for food

Extreme? using wash cloths for TP and washing them with the diapers as there was NO money for anything

Day to day tightwad frugal tactics? Waste NO food - save the celery leaves, carrot tops etc and dehydrate then powder to flavor soups, veggies, etc. turn potato peels into restaurant style appetizer. . . scraps of meat and veggies go into soups, shepherd's pies, pizzas, etc. Fruits get frozen then turned into smoothies, fruit peels (we grow our own so they are organic) get stewed and become jellies, then tossed into the compost pile. . . etc.

Clothing items are sorted into church (really nice) work (business) recreation (jeans, T's etc) and dirty work (holey jeans, stained shirts, etc) as they wear out they are downgraded to the next level until they become rags/quilts/etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sunshine I do that with clothes too..I also cut fabric softner sheets into 4th and use vinegar and make my own cleaning solotions only use store bought If not c lean enough

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

* When clothes are too shabby to donate to the thrift store, cut off the buttons, zips, elastic and decorative items and use those on sewing projects.

* (As mentioned in another thread) Periodically don't add soap when doing laundry. Soap rarely washes completely out of the material, especially the thick stuff like towels and jeans.

* When running the dishwasher, if the dishes aren't very dirty or you've done an awesome job of pre-rinsing, also don't bother to add soap. Sometimes a rinse and sanitize is all that is needed. Of course, don't use the "dry" cycle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just noticed one I do and it's so routine, I don't even notice anymore. I buy "prison TP", according to my darling children. But I also buy BJs "prison kleenex". And when i go to use one, I separate it and just use one sheet. I didn't think it was so cheap, but my dad started complaining that the tissues were really bad, "so thin". DD chimed in, "Pa, it's because mom separates her tissues and leaves the other half in the box for the next person. It's her way of saving for college." We were all together, eating dinner, so everyone had an opinion or 3. My dad pointed out, he's been helping with groceries, "so if I want the fancy tissues with lotion in them and are $5 a box, you're gonna have to suck up that luxury item. And if I ever I pull out half a kleenex again, the person who left that there has to eat it!" Everyone's laughing except the person who is likely going to be eating kleenex, that would be me, lol. "As for saving for college, you do realize you cannot pay tuition in kleenex halves, right? What are you saving by this ridiculous behavior, $10 a year? Claire, better stop talking about the Ivies, although they might give you a break when your mom is insane."
    Last edited by Bernice; 07-02-2015 at 05:02 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice View Post
    I just noticed one I do and it's so routine, I don't even notice anymore. I buy "prison TP", according to my darling children. But I also buy BJs "prison kleenex". And when i go to use one, I separate it and just use one sheet. I didn't think it was so cheap, but my dad started complaining that the tissues were really bad, "so thin". DD chimed in, "Pa, it's because mom separates her tissues and leaves the other half in the box for the next person. It's her way of saving for college." We were all together, eating dinner, so everyone had an opinion or 3. My dad pointed out, he's been helping with groceries, "so if I want the fancy tissues with lotion in them and are $5 a box, you're gonna have to suck up that luxury item. And if I ever I pull out half a kleenex again, the person who left that there has to eat it!" Everyone's laughing except the person who is likely going to be eating kleenex, that would be me, lol. "As for saving for college, you do realize you cannot pay tuition in kleenex halves, right? What are you saving by this ridiculous behavior, $10 a year? Claire, better stop talking about the Ivies, although they might give you a break when your mom is insane."
    may i suggest forgetting the kleenex and getting everyone handkerchiefs? better for the budget, better for the environment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast