Frugal Village Forums banner

Tips on Staying Motivated

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  teddysheers 
#1 ·
As part of my "pay off all debt" plan, I decided to keep my part time job in addition to my new full time job.

I think it's all taking it's toll on me. Before I landed my AWESOME full time job, I was working various temp positions, and throughout that time period, I worked both jobs with minimal issues. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm totally exhausted, and I've been sick for the past three weeks (cold-like symptoms).

It's days like this where I want to quit the second job, but I haven't even really experienced the full benefits of a good paying job plus the second job income.

It doesn't help that I also care for my 86-year-old father. He's in a nursing home, but I visit him faithfully at least 4 times a week (still feeling guilty for placing him in a facility I think).

I just realized that I have only taken one weekend off since January, and that was for my father's birthday. I work seven days a week (often both jobs on Mondays and Fridays).

I'm not a quitter, and I know the extra $600/month from the second job will get me to my goal faster. I just need a little encouragement...

HELP!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you may know what I am going to say :) If you have an awesome full time job, and you are able to comfortably make ends meet, then let go of that second job. Getting ill from being over worked is not worth that second job. You need time to recharge to be able to forge ahead.

Looking after your 86 year old father is also a huge time commitment and one that you will not regret. I am looking after my two elderly parents, although they are living in their own home and will transition to a retirement village in a year. It is a lot of work and I don't think my siblings realize the extent of what I do. Do you have siblings that can share the load in visiting your father as well?

#3 ·
Are you a high energy person? Do you rarely get sick? Do you sleep well? Then I'd say try it out, but if you need lots of sleep, lose energy mid-day (or earlier), and catch every virus everyone near you has, I'd be very careful.

In other words, I agree with momoffiveboys. You'd have to be young and really a dynamo to carry off that kind of schedule.

#7 ·
Health check may be in order.

If your weight, BP, cholesterol or sugar are high because you are eating crap or $$$ menu stuff, it may be harm. If you are not sleeping right, things are only going to get worse probably. Try to plan 1/2 hour to calm down before you try to sleep. I was always keyed up after second shift job anyway, even at call center, so needed 90 minutes to sleep. Would be even worse running around on feet probably.

Sometimes using car less, less gas, cook at home, evenings at home and exercise are a better investment for your health unless you are pushing through to some short-term financial goal...

Consider looking at Craigslist for your local area to see what kind of work at home stuff you might be able to find that matches your skills. Do not provide credit check or private data before interviews. No legit job would ask for money up front either. Can make more money in this work sometimes and no commute.

But do fine with two jobs with a few tweeks. Cook big batch a couple times a week, eating it through out week. Make lunches/breakfast night before so you just grab it walking out door. Streamline your look so minimal hair work or makeup in morning. Wash hair less often so you don't need to deal with 30 minutes drying it daily. Clothing ironed and hung up Sunday night so you just put it on. Home treadmill and run 5-10 minutes morning/nights, walk hall on breaks or run stairs at work. As long as clothing still fits comfortably, you are good. Take along a book or magazine, ebook on phone and read throughout the day. Plan a little TV time and can feel just fine, especially if you are living alone. (Maybe downsize to studio apartment and no pets lifestyle if you like this or want to make long-term financial goals easier. Ditch car or walk to work in city can be easier/cheaper than dealing with car if bus service is good. Sell some belongings you don't use any longer and streamline rest of belongings. Only replace stuff when it breaks....)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.