Master list of well priced items
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Master list of well priced items

I recently decided to begin being more careful with my budget and expenses. I am starting by being more mindful when purchasing everyday household items, and will then hopefully expand this habit to all my shopping.

I am currently spending lots of time online finding the cheapest stores and brands for things like hand-soap, trash bags, etc. The thing is, this is very time consuming! I'm wondering if there are any websites that have a list comparing prices of everyday items. Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Prices very so much I cannot imagine a master list of this type being accurate for more than a few days. Not only is there variation from region to region, but even within the same state or city the price can be different. Even in the same chain of stores there can be differences if the manager decides so. Items go on sale for a few hours or days.... it could be impossible to keep such a list. And yes, it is a lot of work checking to see where your best deal can be found, but worth it in the end.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm repeating myself but I find the Target online web site prices very reasonable, especially for the store brands. I have tried various items and nearly all were fine (I don't care for their peanut butter but that's one of the few things I didn't like.) You get free shipping for a fairly low $ amount. I order pantry items like tomato soup, crackers, tuna. I have also ordered stuff like dishwasher detergent tabs. I'm a little hesitant to order liquids because the boxes seem to get beat up. Once about half my canned items were dented. But for the items you mentioned I think you should check out their web site.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree that this would become massive and quickly out of date. Over time, I just learned which places generally had the best prices on groups of items, and then mostly stuck with those places. Produce and chicken from one grocery store. Canned and frozen items from another grocery store. Cleaning and home supplies from another store. So on and so forth. I would then look for sales for whatever items I wanted at those stores specifically. Every once in a while I'd double check a few items to make sure the stores were still giving me the best deals.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Also take into account the time and cost of driving to multiple stores. I know that it costs about .10 per mile to drive my car. For example, say it takes me 15 minutes to get to a store 3 miles away, and I spend at least 15 minutes in the store, and drive another 15 minutes to get home, that's 45 mins to an hour spent chasing a deal. I better save far more than the .60 in gas in order for it to be worth my time and effort. Usually, unless a store has multiple sale items or I plan on purchasing a lot to stock up, I won't go just because something is .02 cheaper.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

All good points.

I just want to add that I like Amazon for some items. You can also set up subscriptions. For example, we get one box of tuna shipped to us every month. We do not have to place an order each month.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Prices vary by season, too. Grocery sales in general are fairly predictable. Many sales are related to holidays. Picnic and outdoor cooking foods are on sale around Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day. Baking supplies are on sale from Thanksgiving to Christmas. Party foods around New Years and Super Bowl. Etc. Canned goods are cheapest in fall when crops come in. Fresh fruits and veggies will be lower in season.

Natural disasters, disease outbreaks, and idiotic tariffs can raise prices. Those things aren't predictable and can make a price list obsolete quickly.

To me, it's more helpful to learn to recognize the cycles of the sales and plan to take advantage of sales to stock up then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ground meat and hot dogs have been on sale recently near us.

You can sometimes score good after holidays too. For example, whole pumpkins after Halloween.

Depending on where you live, it might be useful to be aware of holidays you do not celebrate. We often get good deals for lamb around the Jewish holidays.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to shop at different stores just to get the better price. Now that I'm getting older and get tired faster, I usually do most of my shopping at Aldi and then pick another grocery store nearby for fruit. Aldi is hit or miss on fruit for me. If I'm only saving a few cents, it's just not worth driving all over town anymore. I'd rather spend the extra money and get done quickly. Shopping used to take me over 3 hours and I'm done with that. I do have to stop at a few different stores, just to get things like dog food. I can't get that at walmart or sams. The treats are a much better deal at sams. Household products are cheaper at walmart or target, but sometimes, I just don't feel like and will spend the extra. Could I save money by shopping around? Definitely! I just don't have the energy to do that anymore.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I feel the whole time vs. money thing when I look at many of the frugal ideas. My husband and I do many frugal things. However, I do not have a lot of free time currently. So it is always a trade off.

Even if I technically have time to do things, it takes away from my not nearly enough precious free time.
    KathyB