Are the security features in the forum overkill?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Are the security features in the forum overkill?

Don't get me wrong, security features are a must to keep out the spam bots and what not. creating 10 posts before being able to reply is a good way to do this, i'm not arguing against that. I'm arguing about the inability to reply to the posts you've created until you have 10 new posts. That is a bit much.

So say i have a question I'm trying to get answered and that's one of my 10 posts. I then can't reply back to that thread i created until after creating 9 other posts. That's kind of a killer to bring in new members.

I'm wondering if the security can be modified to not count against posts you've made? Maybe an exclusion for posts you've started so you can reply back to those? Kind of pointless to make a new thread to count against the 10 needed, when you can't reply on your new thread isn't it? I mean you can read them, but if it's a question thread and someone answers, what are you to do?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't get it either. I would make it the opposite, you need to reply 10 times before you can post a thread. What's to stop someone from creating 10 spam posts?

Good luck getting it changed though, mods seem to be non-existent here. We're on our own.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is the reverse of most sites I have been on. Every other cite I have been on that had restrictions said you needed to reply to X number of thread before you could start a new post.

We have a number of people that join, post a handful of spammy threads then leave.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

And there don't seem to be any mods around to get rid of the spam. Drives me nuts, I mod on another forum and I would zap them so fast and ban their accounts. Kind of stupid to spam on this forum though, not like we are big spenders!!!
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There are different types of frugal. And some people who think of themselves as frugal are big spenders by my standards.

I joined a frugal fashion reddit. It was full of stuff like getting a $200 designer shirt on deep discount for $100. There was a lot sharing about when high end places were having major sales. It looked a bit like spam, but since people were actually requesting the information, it was not spam.

So these women were spending hundreds of dollars a month on clothing, but they thought of themselves as frugal, because they bought it all on deep discounts.

It does not match up with what I think of as frugal. However, some people interpret frugal as anything that saves you money. I do not personally agree with this interpretation, but it seems to becoming more common. There are a lot of "frugal" sites out there that focused on well off people trying to save money while still maintaining a well off life style. It may just be that what is frugal varies depending on your income.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When was this implemented? I know I didn't start 10 threads before being able to reply. Across all of the forums I'm on, I'd be surprised if I started 10 total.

Regardless, I agree that starting 10 threads before replying is weird. 10 non-reported replies before being able to start threads would make more sense to me.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't know when it started but it has been a problem for new members for a few years now. I thought it was addressed and fixed a year or two ago, but it seems to be back.

Kormath is up to 9 posts so he should be able to reply to anything he wants after one more.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for hanging in there Kormath!!
    Make America Kind Again.