Dandelion Jam

Thread: Dandelion Jam

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Dandelion Jam

Has anyone ever made this? As I understood the directions, I collected 300 dandelion heads, rinsed in strainer, then cut off the green little leaves that hold the pedals together. The greens will make it bitter. What a BIG job that was! Took me 2 days! I now have continued in the process and have boiled the water with sugar, added lemon juice and dandelion pedals, boiled that and have to let it stand 24 hours until the next straining out of the pedals and adding pectin. - If I had known how involved this was- especially the cutting off of the greens from the pedals- I would have thought twice about making it. How did your's go?

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have not done dandelions, but I have made jam for years and yes it can be a lot of work. I did a crate of tomatoes one year, took me a week to peel and seed them all. Last year I picked and cleaned two buckets of small sour cherries by hand, even with DH's help it took 3 days to pit them all. My cherry jam did not set up, it is liquid. But it tastes great and the jars all sealed so they will keep for years. We are glad to have it this year. Good luck with yours!
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

no but someone I know made dandelion jelly last week. think you can do a lot of things with dandelions but only thing I do is eat them

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I once made dandelion wine and did that thing where you take all the green stuff off. Never again!! There are SO many things to make jam (or wine) from that are much easier.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by josantoro View Post
    I once made dandelion wine and did that thing where you take all the green stuff off. Never again!! There are SO many things to make jam (or wine) from that are much easier.
    Lol..exactly why I don’t make violet jelly.. I do make dandelion wine and you don’t have to take the green leaves off..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by brenda67 View Post
    Lol..exactly why I don’t make violet jelly.. I do make dandelion wine and you don’t have to take the green leaves off..
    NOW you tell me!! We went through a period (the living off the land phase) where we tried making wine from all kinds of different things. Also tried making tea from things like blueberry leaves. It wasn't bad. But the chicory root coffee - a big NOPE!!
    Make America Kind Again.