Suggestions for Domestic Sewing Machine
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Suggestions for Domestic Sewing Machine

Hi everyone,
    I am new here in this forum. i want to purchase a sewing machine for home use. I dont know which sewing machine is best for basic sewing purpsoe. More it should be in affordable price range. I need experts suggestions regarding the best sewing machine.
    Hopefully, i will get good recommenddations.
    Regards
    Mildered D Dorris

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you are new to sewing, look in the thrift stores for a good basic (not electronic) machine. You can always upgrade later if you feel the need to. I got a good basic Singer for about $20, it's 1957 era and a workhorse. The older machines have metal parts and last longer.
    Make America Kind Again.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Most brands are good machines and they all do the same basic stitches. I would avoid anyone selling "school" sewing machines at a 1-day sale, and stick with a local store where you can get service if necessary. Machines come in all price ranges, so you can find one that is affordable for you. Some shops have refurbished or slightly used machines at discount prices.

I always tell people that buying a sewing machine is like buying a car. Sit down and test drive it. Are the controls comfortable? Maybe you like a knee control instead of a floor pedal? Is the lighting good enough? It is too loud? Does it sew nicely when you test it. There is no one right machine for everyone.

Ask around and see if any of your friends have a machine they'd part with. Sometimes they end up at church rummage sales. If you do get a second hand machine from a thrift shop you should take it for cleaning (which can cost $75-120). It has most likely been sitting a long time and may need oiled and checked over. Again, like a car. You don't know what problems it has or how long it was in the basement, whether it got banged around or not.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown