What did you do to save money that ended up costing you more?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy What did you do to save money that ended up costing you more?

I knew someone who put a sign on his front lawn "FILL WANTED". He had some septic digging done and needed to fill the big hole. Well, he came home from work and found cement blocks dumped on his front lawn. He had to pay to have them removed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I got Maggie, my first cat, from the shelter, I took her immediately, on the way home, to the vet the shelter personnel recommended. They assured me he was very inexpensive, because he practiced in a small town, not in the city, and was very good. Yeah, right. He handled her roughly, which neither of us liked at all, and he was unwilling to test her for feline leukemia and such, which I thought was crazy since she was a shelter cat. And before I could protest, he had vaccinated her for it -- for a disease he didn't even know if she might already have. I didn't argue with him. I just wanted to get her out of there and away from him as quickly as I could. And seeing how he was handling her, I'm sure drawing blood would have been gruesome anyway.

So I went to a vet a frugal friend recommended, who was also reportedly not too expensive, who cheerfully did the testing, but I also had to pay again for an initial exam and office visit. And I liked this vet well enough, but her office was a cat's nightmare with echoing hardwood floors, crowded with big noisy barking dogs, a loud, jangling, incessantly ringing phone, and staff members slamming doors and yelling down the hallways over the din. Maggie was terrified, my nerves were frayed, and I ended up waiting with her out on the porch, because neither of us could stand the waiting room. I promised her never again.

So I got a third recommendation from someone I knew slightly, but who I knew would never cut corners with her cats, and a few days later took Maggie there to be spayed -- plus, of course, the initial visit fees -- for the third time. This one is a cat's dream vet, and as best I can judge, very good, so I have taken her and my second cat back there for all their initial shots, an ear problem, up through the kitten's neutering. But sadly wonderful Doc 3 is way out of my price range for further ongoing care, and accounts for some of my holdover credit card debt. (Moral: never ask the wife of the Opera Board President to recommend a vet!)

So this poor cat, who had just been traumatized with a hurricane evacuation was hauled to three different vets in a week, and I was traumatized when I had to keep paying and paying and paying ... because I took the advice and went to the ones who were recommended primarily as inexpensive, first by the shelter and then by a friend. (And you can be sure I told the shelter people what I thought of their vet, too. They professed to be shocked.) And now, months later, I'm still looking for a reasonable, but decent vet -- which will, of course, mean initial office visit and exam fees all over again, for two cats this time. Yeah, I was happy for the chance to save a little on a costly service, and it ended up costing me a bundle. I should have just brought her home and starting making phone calls to the local vets.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Someone once offered me a FREE 25 cubit foot chest freezer. I bullied my dh into getting it from her house, had to bribe the neighbor to help us get in - after we removed the hinges so it would fit through the door. It was big enough that my family of four could have lived in it. The seal was shot, so dh replaced that, then I filled it up. Plus, when we first moved it in, it tipped the wrong way and the lock 'fell' into the locked position. So dh had to bust that, too. It made my kitchen hot and it SUCKED electricity like a...I don't know what. The big dumb old thing had been manufactured in the 1970's.

Fortunately, a few months later, the power company came out with a program to PAY the customer $25 to remove any freezers or fridges over 15 years old (to encourage energy efficient models and discourage old fridges full of pop in the garage). By then I had come to my senses and gradually emptied it and got rid of it.

I doubt that $25 I got back was enough to pay for the increased electricity that thing used, not to mention the rise in dh's blood pressure through the whole ordeal. He's so good to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband loves to grill and when his dad offered him a big gas grill, he jumped at the chance (have you seen the price of a new gas grill? we thought we were getting a deal).

We get it home and realize that it's slightly rusted so dh spends quite a bit of time to scrub it up and repaint it. Then realize that the new burners aren't really new and he hounds me and hounds me to buy new ones---which we do after 4 mo. of bugging. Then he needs an attachment so it'll hook up to propane, which we also buy. And now that we're thinking of moving, he's begun mumbling about leaving it here because he'd "just rather have a new one anyway".

Atleast I didn't let him buy a $50 cover and just made him put it in the garage. Sometimes I think it's worth it just to buy something new rather than be nickle and dimed to death fixing and repairing something so old that the repairs cost more that the original item, kwim?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had gotten a great deal on a Pontiac LeMans. It was great. Till the engine fell out...cost us a fortune to get it back into working order. We wound up giving up and sending it to donation at goodwill where they parted it out and sold it in pieces.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well this is a big blunder on my part that I had done. Our washing machine was broken and unrepairable and it was an extra large washer. Money was tight as usual, so I bought a large machine which was cheaper. It has cost me time, money for electric, and extra water because I do more loads than before it isn't as big, so it doesn't hold mcuh. We are a large family of five, and by that I mean tall DH is 6'4 and 270, I am 5'8 185, kids are tall and also, but my oldest daughter, she is petite. It has costs a lot of $$ especially in water.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Switched my cable tv and cable net for a cheaper DSL and Dish through the phone company, a cheaper bundle. I was expecting start up fees. Along with this I hadda go to wireless in my home due to one phone line. I was expecting to pay for the wireless stuff. What I wasn't expecting was the blasted stupid Windows ME to be such a pain on my computer that I hadda call a tech to come install, to which he said I'd have nothing but problems with this wireless and DSL on Windows ME, I really needed XP. So, just buying the used CPU that he had and his visit cost me $450 that I WASN'T expecting. Ugh!!

At least I upgraded to a Dell and have the professional version of XP now (which I LOVE cause I always hated ME), but all at once, OUCH!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My most recent: I needed a new pair of jeans. I had recently bought two pairs of pants from The Gap in a size 8, so I figured I'd save money and buy a nice pair of Gap jeans in the same size off of Ebay. Total cost with shipping: $16.24. The jeans arrived, they were in beautiful condition, but the fit was different from my other size 8s. No good, and no return. Thankfully, my sister was able to fit into them, so I just gave them to her. Today, she and I went shopping for a new dress for her. I wound up just buying a pair of jeans at The Gap (on sale!). Even though they were on sale at a good price, I didn't save much considering I had just bought a pair that didn't fit. Oops. (My sister offered to pay me for the jeans I gave her, but I couldn't take her money. She didn't ask for the jeans; I just foisted them on her.)

My laptop has wound up costing us a lot. I asked my parents for a new laptop computer for Christmas, and they gave me one. However, it's cost DH and me a lot. The word processing program that came with it was only temporary, so we had to buy new software to install. Our wireless card was messed up, so we had to buy a new one. I needed a new mouse to hook up to it for easier use. I think there was something else, too, but I can't remember what. We've probably spent around $300 on this computer since Christmas. I thought I was being so prudent in asking for a computer from my parents! I've learned a lot...