Of Everything You Do To Save Money, What One Thing Saves You The Most Money? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it is the whole mindset of saving that I was brought up with, and that being married to my DH reinforced. If I am going home and don't have anything prepared for supper, I don't go get takeout. I make something quick with what I have - tuna sandwich, eggs and toast, angel hair pasta and jar sauce.

If I need to buy something I shop around. It sounds logical to people here but a lot of people don't do it outside of our FV community.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Right now we are voluntarily frugal. We are saving to "buy" a slightly early retirement - age 59 for me age 60 for my husband. So not terribly early, but earlier than lots of people.

I think overall the big thing is that we did not upgrade our lifestyle when we started making more money. Our spending has not changed that much from when we were less well off. A common thing is for people to start spending more when they start making more. People have more money, so they think, now I can go out more, get more stuff, get nicer stuff, take expensive vacations, etc. I think that sometimes people do actively choose this, it just happens. People at working making the same as you talk about things they are bought or places they have been. So it just seems normal.

A similar thing can happen when you pay off a big debt or two. Say you were paying $1000 a month on debts and now they are paid off. Do you spend that money on other things? Or do you stick it in savings or a retirement fund?

We do allow ourselves a little more spending money than when we were really bad off financially. But not a lot. I still keep a lot of my frugal habits.

Related to that is the feeling of contentedness with what I have. I am content with both the amount of stuff I have and the quality of stuff I have. This concept is sometimes called abundance. In my mind, I think of it as "enough-ness." It is the feeling that what you have is enough.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yep. not upgrading (actually, I DOWN graded big time when I lost a job 15 years ago and realized debt payments could take me down hard). I downgraded, paid everything off and carefully think about every upgrade in lifestyle, or just change in lifestyle, and all purchases, big and small.

the other thing was buying property outright (no debt) and living on it rent/utilities free. It costs up front, but I haven't paid rent in about 4 years now and was paying 600 /month rent utilities before. So...48x600=28800...wait! Is that real??? Yep. there are other expenses like getting a real home built (still off grid...that solar system is mine to keep) but it's all setting me up for a low cost rest of my life OR something immediately saleable if I need a sudden infusion of cash for medical or there crisis expenses.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not eating outside home. That means no dinner out, no Starbucks, etc. We do occasionally get take-out (every 1-2 months). Spending time/brain power to figure out how to make things I already have into things I need/will use. Being able to sew is a BIG help in this area. Worn-out sheets become pillow cases or quilt backs. Clothing gets repaired or re-made, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a great thread! I do most of these things, too. What has saved me the most money has been getting my taxes done for free through VITA or AARP, and working from home. I am able to deduct the cash that I pay for my health insurance as a business expense. This saves me $5,000. a year.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567