Does Your Husband Help Or Hinder Your Efforts?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Does Your Husband Help Or Hinder Your Efforts?

Is your husband on board with what you're doing? I have to admit, mine wasn't very helpful at first. He wasn't doing anything wrong, he just didn't take any of it very seriously and laughed a bit as I complained about our local grocery store (we only have 2). Now that he is taking an interest in our bottom line he is a little more impressed with how organized we are getting. He loves meat and potatoes and isn't impressed with meatless night or soup and sandwich night but whatever. I'm grateful to him that he makes a great wage and looks after earning a living for all of us so I can stay home. Sometimes I wish he would take a little more interest in some of the numbers I put down on paper.......he doesn't seem to care how much $ goes out for some things. Just wondering how many of you have your husbands attention with all this or do you find yourself doing most of this. Mine has no clue how to do internet or telephone banking......it just gets done!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our husbands sound pretty similiar but mine is better about meatless meals, lol, get him hungry enough and he won't even ask what is in dinner. He did REALLY get his eyes opened last night when we could buy him a newer truck because of the amount of money I'd put back just for that, lol, salesman walked away to crunch some numbers and I told him how much I could put down, his jaw dropped and he said "where'd you get THAT from?" LOL, bit by bit, week by week I put it away for over a year.

So I bet mine pays even more attention now!

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My DH is not helpful at all! He thinks it's great that I'm saving money, but he'd just as soon spend it. For example, we bought a printer for his dad on our Dell account. When his dad gave him the cash for it, DH's plan was to spend it, since we'd already paid off the card! I didn't even know he had the money until I found out he'd already spent some of it. It's very frustrating, but I keep at it.

To be fair, though, I used to be just as spendy as DH is!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

He mostly helps. He often doesn't realize just how much he's spending since it's usually a little bit here, a little bit there (it adds up), but he's mostly great about trying to save and cut back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerSue
    Is your husband on board with what you're doing? I have to admit, mine wasn't very helpful at first. He wasn't doing anything wrong, he just didn't take any of it very seriously and laughed a bit as I complained about our local grocery store (we only have 2). Now that he is taking an interest in our bottom line he is a little more impressed with how organized we are getting. He loves meat and potatoes and isn't impressed with meatless night or soup and sandwich night but whatever. I'm grateful to him that he makes a great wage and looks after earning a living for all of us so I can stay home. Sometimes I wish he would take a little more interest in some of the numbers I put down on paper.......he doesn't seem to care how much $ goes out for some things. Just wondering how many of you have your husbands attention with all this or do you find yourself doing most of this. Mine has no clue how to do internet or telephone banking......it just gets done!!!
    Your dh sounds just like mine except mine doesn't care what I cook.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My DH is pretty good most of the time. When he gets in a spending mood I can usually reduce it by finding something that needs to be done around the house. Or often we will just talk each other out of non essential purchases. For the most part we both have a pretty frugal mind set. His weakness is elctronics and mine is hair and spa treatments.

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My husband teases me joyfully about being frugal. He'll even pull me back when I go over the line with a comment like, "I'm gonna post on your site that you went over budget." The only place I have a problem with him is on meat. Its a must for every meal. He grew up in an orhange and meat wasn't always on the table or if it was the large kids would take it from you so now its a thing for him. I can cut anywhere but there. So I give him his meat.

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dh is an angel! He never questions anything I do with the budget...and he'll eat anything you put in front of him! He takes his lunch every day and brags at the office that he eats better than any of them. No complaints here. Luckily, we've always been on the same page about finances. This has helped us have no credit card debt...and only our mortgage. If we want something...we just save up for it. He does get a bonus each year, which he typically uses to buy a new tool or something he really wants that he thinks is something *we* shouldn't have to budget for. Last year he bought a used motorcycle that he now drives to works and saves $$$$ on gas. He's a very practical guy. Incredibly generous...and pretty easy on the eyes too!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My DH is good about everything, although it took a bit to get him to this point. We had to go through some financial troubles years back for him to get on board. Neither of us had good financial role models while we were growing up, so when we were first married it was get all the credit we could get and spend, spend, spend. Years later (and both wiser, I hope) we have finally gotten on track with our goals. He still tends to be more the spender than I am, but when he (although rarely) starts in about maybe it wouldn't be so bad to finance something, we sit down and I show him how close we are to realizing our goals and he agrees that we're doing the right thing. Later, he'll say, "Boy, I sure am glad we didn't didn't decide to finance that nice travel trailer we saw. Think about the payments we'd be having to make right now. I'd much rather that money go to paying off the house." And I'll just smile and say, "Yep, honey, I'm glad that WE decided not to finance that nice travel trailer also." (Yes, it helps to let him think it was always his idea also. )

--Michelle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My fiance used to be terrible. We decided to budget last year, then a month later, he bought a new computer with our savings . I was saving for a tattoo (and he knew it) but he spent it thinking we had a ton of money. Well, we didn't. I cancelled my tattoo appointment and when i told him, he felt awful. Now he is completely on board. He won't spend $2 unless he asks me first, which is great!!! But...every once in a while, he mocks me Dave Ramsey motto "live like no one else now, so you can live like no on else later" especially when he whines for something and I tell him after we have our debts paid off.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

He's helpful but not in a particularly active way. He wants me to make most of the decisions but I do consult him on the budget, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

usually...help

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine is on board now. He didn't use to be, but he sees that every penny saved is a good thing.

Kellie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Hinder without really meaning to

DH is a great guy but he thinks money just magically appears! Any time something needs bought, such as a part for a home repair, he will call me at work and ask me how I want him to pay for it. I always wanna say, with whatever cash you have in your pocket! And to make matters worse, he only drives what he wants to, thinks we need a spare car, will not consider not having his boat....etc..etc..etc.. But to be honest, lately I am having a hard time getting back on the frugal bandwagon. Murphy has taken up residence in my house which can get discouraging!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine helps most of the time! Although he does buy a few too many motorcycle parts, but that is mainly with his overtime pay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast