If you knew, what would you do now?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question If you knew, what would you do now?

Remember that tv show, where the guy get's tomorrow's newspaper today? He knew what was going to happen before anybody else.

What if you knew that in 3 years we were in for the next Great Depression? What would you do differently now?
    How would it change your thinking?
    How would it change your priorities?

Remember, nobody else would believe you, but would you and how would you try to influence others?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default No... I don't remember seeing that show..

This is very interesting subject..

How would it change your thinking?

1. I would not have any dept other then mortgage.
    2.save..save..and save
    3.stockpile more then I already do..
    4.learn how to preserve my own garden produce..like canning..I have no clue how to do this..
    5.Plant Fruit trees
    6.Plant a variety of Berrie Bushes
    7.Maybe raise some chickens and cows...
    8.Buy a woodstove for a source of heat and to cook on...
    9.Bake everything I could from scratch...
    10.never through out any food...
    11. Have a Root Cellar..
    12.never take anything for granted..

How would it change your priorities?
    1.I guess everything listed above would apply..

Remember, nobody else would believe you, but would you and how would you try to influence others?

People look at me like I'm nuts anyway cause I stockpile so much in bulk..My nurse once said to me "You act as if you were in living in the depression years"..
    I have mentioned several times to family and co-workers to be prepared for the Bird Flu..basically they don't take things seriously and think I'm just blowing things out of proportion..
    I've already tried to influence people to no avail....

One thing I wanted to mention is that I'm a firm believer that Families will live with families in order to survive..just like the old days..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Very good hypothetical situation. (BTW, I used to love that show. It was called "Early Edition") We don't really have any debt but our home. I would try to pay off our mortgage as much as possible. I would also stockpile food items and such, as Brenda67 wrote. If I knew the exact date the crash would happen (Which would presumably precede a Depression) I would withdraw any large amounts of money I had in my accounts. Unfortunately that would probably not help the economy much, but at least I would not lose what we have in the bank. I would also try to stockpile food and clothes to help others who weren't as fortunate to know what was coming. I doubt very seriously anyone would believe me if I tried to warn them.

--Michelle

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good point Michelle ..... taking all the money out of the bank..

Do you really think this could happen?

Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would be more vigilant about getting a great garden going and canning more of our own stuff. Try to save as much as possible. Just be more organized in everything I do. Great post!

Jennifer

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default bumping..

I think it would be great to get some more opinions on this subject....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In the event of a big depression, we would risk losing our home, due to inability to pay the mortgage. However, we own a piece of land free and clear. If I had three years to plan, I would get a cabin built on that land.

I would continue to stockpile, and in fact, increase my efforts at stockpiling.

My priorities would change in terms of recreational spending. There really wouldn't be any more meals out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I have to agree with most you all about most of this. Stockpiling, gardening and saving money would be a top priority. I would also encourage family to do the same.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would probably devote our spare bedroom to a huge stockpile of food, clothes, blankets, medical needs. I would also arrange for a huge amount of wood to be stacked in the yard to keep us warm. I would try to save some cash in the house too. We don't have weapons in our home, but I wonder if I would feel compelled to get a firearm.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have been a subscriber to Backwoods Home for years. They have a great book called Preparing for Emergencies. I read that a few years ago and it got me started on stock piling food and water as well as a number of other things needed for crisis. We have a first aid kit in the car and a super one in the house that have already been used a number of times. If I knew three years would be a timeline for an event, I would double up my stock pile, get the kids trained in firearms and increase the cash I keep on hand. I am already working on debt and should be debt free within 3 years. I don't think I would have time to buy or build a place so I think I would try to figure out how to make things work where we are.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I was able to see ahead I guess I would be like the rest of you's have said to SAVE SAVE SAVE, make sure I had no debt, stockpile food, emergency items, etc...

I also agree that if I had to take in a family or 2 so we would ALL survive I would do it in a heartbeat and vise versa.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For a depression? I would stockpile more too. And make sure first aid and firearms training were had by all...including me.

I would make sure all our equipment/tools were recently repaired/maintained. I mean sewing machines, table saws, the works. I'd probably buy a grain mill for grinding grain.

I'd update the car to a fuel efficient model, paying cash. I'd also make sure our bicycles were in excellent condition, upgrading them if necessary.

I'd move to another more energy efficient house (am planning this anyways). Also no need to heat more space than we need. So I'd continue what I'm currently doing - de-cluttering the house and divesting myself of material goods.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It would be great if we could get that kind of notice. Id do what other have mentioned, stockpiling, garden, do what I could to live independently, etc.

Id wonder a lot. Will we be safe in the are we live? What employment would be somewhat depression proof and can we prepare in that way?
    What skills should we learn that would be useful for bartering?

Id worry about medications though, wonder if we'd still be able to get them since their a necessity. I have months on hand, but certainly not years worth.

I doubt anyone would listen to me as they already think Im overly frugal. Id try to give advice though.

Interesting topic!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Could you explain the firearms training? Under what circumstances do you think it would be necessary to use a gun?

Do you think if people knew that you had a big pile of food that you'd have lots of beggers as well as everybody who knows you asking for food? How would you handle it?

I wonder what food prices were like in the Depression? Did they go up or stay the same?

What jobs do you think are depression proof? Off hand, I think medical.

Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good point on the firewood. I would definitely try to stockpile that as well as food. Also try to buy clothes in advance, for the kids who will be growing regardless of a depression. I would probably get a safe of some sort for cash on hand. Everyone has some great ideas.

Now how many of us are going to start doing some of these things now? A depression might not happen, but what about a job loss? or a medical crisis? These things would affect us, as opposed to everyone, but still all of these things could help in the event of an emergency.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast