How many towels
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many towels

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How many towels

do you average per person per week at your house. I wasn't really keeping track when I was working because I wasn't the only on washing the clothes. Now that I have become a SAHM I do all the washing and can't believe the amount of laundry my family generates per week. I don't have an outside clothesline so I want to set something up in the basement to airdry more. The clothes isn't the biggest problem, they are pretty good with that. Where I think we can cut back is on towels. I am ashamed to say it but I must of washed at least 50 towels this week and that's not counting the face clothes. So I was thinking of putting name tags on the towel and only allowing for so many per week and they would be responsible to air dry it between uses. I have two girls and we all have long hair so we use a towel for our hair and one for our bodies. I have hair towels I made. So I was thinking I would give them one hair towel and two body towels per week. Does this sound reasonable??? What do you do in your house? Need suggestions please.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Everyone in my house has their own towel. As long as it is hung to dry after showering/bathing it can be used for 3-5 days.

So for us, that is about 12 towels per week.

I have a lightweight towel that I use on my hair, too. I think one hair towel and 2 body towels per week is very reasonable.
    Last edited by PB&J; 12-29-2007 at 12:17 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have long hair too and I use one hair towel and two body towels each week. I air them dry on the towl rack in the bathroom between each use. I wash them and start with two fresh new ones on Sunday evening and then about Wednesday I swap the body towel out for a clean one and finish out the week. My fiance only uses one a week. I don't know how he can stand it, but I guess it drys and his hair is short (so the towel doesn't soak up a ton of water from wet hair).

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have really short hair, so I can go all week with one or two - depends on which towels I'm using -

so, with only three of us in the house right now, we only go through three or four per week.

When hubby's home, just add one

In the summer, the dogs get bathed more often, so more towels are used then, but that's not each and every week.

I think the plan of 1 hair & 2 body towels is very reasonable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We all get new towels for each bath/shower. There are 4 of us, each taking a bath/shower daily - we use a bare minimum of 28 a week.

Realistically, we use a good bit more than that. DS puts on one of his thick, terrycloth robes (he has several) after each shower. He will wear it around until he is dry and warm then it goes into the dirty clothes. I will often times use two towels at a time and there are many days when we all take multiple baths/showers. Oh, and the dog uses two towels every week when she gets her bath.

In the summer we can use up to 10 beach towels a day (in addition to our bath towels). Each time the kids get in and out of the pool I let them have a clean towel. To me, it is very uncomfortable to dry off with a cold, damp towel. I would want a new one so I let them have one.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hide the towels in my closet and give everyone a fresh one once a week. Brutal, I know, but the laundry was killing me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here in Colorado it's very dry, so the towels never have a chance to develop mildew. We use one each a week for a total of four, plus a few washcloths.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's just me (and my dog) in my house and I have very short hair. I go through about a towel a week. Sometimes two depending on how many workouts I do!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just me here. I recently did a purge and only kept four towels and 6 hand towels. I gave the rest to my youngest. They just set-up their household, so he was thrilled.

1 towel a week. 2 hand towels.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use one towel for at least a week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow I was not even thinking about how Meany towls we use. reading this I need to start watching. I know DH uses his towel at least 3 to 4 times. that is the only towel he likes. as for me and my 2 DD we use 2 at a time. I have got to get them to hang up there towels. So it is OK to use your towels more than once?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I go through 3 towels a week. I use one for my hair (I use two per week) and one for my body

DH goes through 2 towels since he takes 2-3 showers a day Thankfully we live in base housing so we don't pay utilities...but once we move to Germany (we plan on renting a house) he's going to have to do some of his showers at the base gym! LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh yeah...1 or 2 old ratty towels a week for wiping muddy puppy paws

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone. If the kids give up a fight or think I am nuts when I tell them the new rules I will have them read this post

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use 2 towels a week and a fresh washcloth each day.

My kids do their own laundry but I know they reuse towels for several days before getting a new one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast