Did you teach yourself to quilt or
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Did you teach yourself to quilt or

Did you take courses?

I always wanted to quilt but I'm the type that usually can't learn something from a book. I'm a visual learner so I need to see things done first.

My oldest ds paid for my first quilting course. I loved going but when I seen what others could do, I refused to bring any of my work to the class. I just took notes. I was so embarrassed with my work. I then took 2 other courses after that and now can do pretty much anything when I see a pattern.

One course I took was a "sampler course" which I would recommend to anyone. I learnt so many new ways to quilt, new designs that can be used in hundreds of patterns.

Also in taking a course, you learn so many neat little tricks.

How about you?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, YOU are going to teach me.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't taken any classes either. Still wanting to learn, but need to get materials to quilt first.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I jsut read books and started with a panel quilt. I picture of a dolphin and I just put the layers together and machine quilted it.

Then I moved on to a pattern with all squares, then a log cabin(2 actually) Now I am doing a JoAnn block of the mo. quilt so the pieces are all cut for me and I have directions. Then I plan on doing my own again with some triangles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I taught myself, but I would like to take some classes if only to learn the shortcuts. I'm probably doing things the hard way....lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought a book at Wal Mart and taught myself how, I made a sampler by following the instructions in the book. I also check out lots of books about quilting from the library. I would love to take a quilting class or join a guild but unfortunately I work 12 hour shifts and my days off flip back and forth from week to week, (the days I work this week will be the days that I am off next week) so it makes it impossible to attend any kind of structured class. I am hoping to learn from y'all though.

I am the queen of ufos. I have several quillts basted and ready to quilt but I can't seem to get them completed. One was suppose to be Christmas present last Christmas and here it is another year later and I am still trying to get it completed. It is a trip around the world quilt, I also have a log cabin and a sampler quilt basted and ready to quilt. I have a grandmother's flower graden that is my take along project that I don't anticipate finishing for years.

My favorite patterns are double wedding ring, grandmother's flower garden, LaMoyne Star, Texas Star, and Dresden Plates.

Blessings,
    Kathy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we have a class starting, beginning quilting, i really want to take it. Just maybe i will.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am teaching myself, but I really wish you would come here and teach me in person!

Of course I haven't actually made it to the quilting part of anything I've been working on yet. LOL!

You will be happy to know that I did finally find some material I liked for the border on my very first project (the charm stars wall hanging size quilt for ds). Now I just need to find one more material for the second border and I can get the top finished and move on to the rest of the quilt!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I first learded to quilt at a quilt retreat. A friends sister was a quilter and a few of us wanted to learn, so we had a small retreat at the church, about 12 or so. It was so much fun and the perfect way to learn. We were all new.... we all made a fence rail baby quilt or lap quilt.

We started on a Friday night and went through Saturday night. It was in January in MN, VERY COLD...but we had such fun!!! Snacks to share on Friday night, and Saturday morning a multi grain hot cereal with lots of differnt toppings, oj coffee....we used what we had for decorations to make it "warm" and cozy feeling. Lunch we had a soup and salad bar...

It was thrilling to see how we were all doing the same block and pattern, but with different fabric...they all looked so different!!

It really was a wonderful way to learn and a weekend I will never forget.

We did this for 5 years...then turned over to others to plan...