Quilting Club - November 2009
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile Quilting Club - November 2009

~What are you working on in November? What do you plan to start? What do you need to finish?
    I'm planning to finish the hand-quilting on the Dalmatian baby quilt I'm working on. It needs to be gift-able by December 1! I should work on it a half hour a day until it's done.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Probably the same of the prior months.....more work on my UFO's. There are plenty of those.

And, of course, post more pics of the quilt show.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm going to be working on a table runner - now I have to find the pattern I so carefully put in a safe place. I also want to finish my quilt block quilt that I am going to give away.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay.......OPINIONS PLEASE............HONEST ONES!!

I have sewn the sashing on only one block of that kalid. quilt......my question is this: does the corner piece look okay in it? When I did it I wasn't sure but after it was done I think I like it.....does it look okay to you guys? I have LOTS of both the gold and the corner piece......and the corner piece is DIRECTIONAL ....which doesn't thrill me but I will deal with it.

I just laid a couple other blocks over the one so you could see what some of the others will look like.......oh........and two of them shown are the ones with the LEAST amt. of gold in them. The others have much more and look better with the sashing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like the corner piece very much - it's subtle and adds depth to that area. I cannot get over the look of the quilt squares. Where did you ever get the idea and the fabric from? So stunning!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have to sew binding on a wall hanging and get a copule of quilts finished so I can get them to the long arm quilter before November 20th, so they will be done before Christmas. Yikes, I know what I'm going to be doing this afternoon!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Looks nice FF! Have you tried a purple corner piece? Does that wreck the overall look of the quilt? Just curious. My natural instinct would be to put purple in there...but I don't know. I just sewed together my sampler top with two different types of blues for sashing and cornerstones.

I'm working on finishing my experimental quilt...

It is the first time I tried machine quilting (the results of a class). It is the first time I tried dyeing cotton with natural dyes. It is the first time I tried the quilt-as-you-go technique. I'm sewing on the binding now...which is what that black pile is in the photo...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Peanut - I need a closer picture when you're done please - what a lot of work and creative energy - you do amazing work!!

I just remembered that I want to finish handquilting the wolf lap quilt or wall hanging that I'm doing too!! Better get that out while I am watching football!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

MM - the squares/quilt type is Kalidescope.....or a similar version is Stack and Whack. (not sure of the 'real difference' other than cutting) They are cut according to the pattern repeat. It is not original idea.......it came out of a book....and I can't even take credit for the squares.......EXCEPT that they weren't square and I had to fix them!! (think I gripped about that in a previous post!!) Won't buy anyone else's squares again!!

Peanut........here is the RUB.........I bought the squares off ebay. So I DON'T HAVE the purple......or I would have done it that way. I knew she got the fabric from JA and went there after I got them (over 2 years ago - 2 groups of blocks) and could NOT find the purple but DID find some of the petunia but was limited on that.......have 5 yards of that. But I was going to use that for a border and don't have enough to do both...a square and a border.

The corner piece has a 'faint' multi-purple in it so thought it might work and add something, without taking away from the squares........if it isn't too pale! Guess that could be my 'little piece of poison' in this quilt!

I thought about making the sashing and corner piece SMALLER........narrower.......think that would be better? Then it wouldn't be so 'overpowering'...........I DO tend to make things too big.........I LIKE BIG QUILTS!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

FF - I remember you not being happy with quilt squares that you had purchased, didn't realize that these were them!! I thought that you had purchased like, 5" squares - not complete squares. Interesting idea!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peanut.......would love to see the pics of the blocks....closer.....they all look different......is that the result of the dyeing? the pattern? can't tell from pic.

Like it.........looks like they are close to ''my colors' so of course, I will like it if it comes anywhere near to peach!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

FF - I love it the way it is! It is absolutely beautiful.

Peanut - Very pretty! I can't wait to see the finished product with the black. I am sure it will be stunning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    FF - I remember you not being happy with quilt squares that you had purchased, didn't realize that these were them!! I thought that you had purchased like, 5" squares - not complete squares. Interesting idea!!
    Oh...and I will admit my IDIOT practices......I bought TWO bunches of these cause I thought they were so pretty. Checked a 'couple' of them when I got them.....a little off but thought not too much about it. AND........went back in and bought TWO MORE BUNCHES of another very pretty log cabin block with lilacs in them......and again, went to JA and got some more of the fabric. Haven't had the nerve to check all of them yet!

I HAVE LEARNED. (though gotta say I got them DIRT CHEAP! SNIPED them on ebay) I don't buy blocks!!!.......nor do I even buy squares that someone has cut (been there, done that, got burned!)........unless they can tell me they were DIE CUT!! (all cut on a machine...which is getting more popular here)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Wish I could see the true colors of the blocks, FF, so I could give an opinion but my monitor's color is broken. I only see yellow and blue but the corner pieces look nice from what I can see!
    Peanut, are those squiggly lines on your over-sized blocks fancy stitches? I'd love to see a close up!~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, okay! I was going to save the close ups for later. Didn't want to clog the boards. But now you get to see my very first, very awful, very ugly machine quilting!

Also, FF, I think those corners look just fine then. I tend to make 2" sashing on 8" blocks...depending on the size of the quilt. The borders are usually 5" on single/double bed quilts...6" on queen size quilts. Depends on the pattern and whether it's real busy. Busier patterns get wider borders and sashing.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast