Frugal Village Forums banner

2011 Quilting Club

26K views 162 replies 18 participants last post by  frugalfranny 
#1 ·
I am getting this up and going to announce that I am going to hand quilt my King Size Hawaiian quilt this year. The applique work is finally done. Need to baste together the back, batthing and front and I will be good to go.

First though, I am going to finish the baby quilt before January 4th.

What are your quilting plans for 2011?

Reactions: kr
#3 ·
So glad that you are joining us Calimom!! I started quilting over 40 years ago by making a patchwork quilt - you could even start out by making a patchwork potholder!!

#4 ·
Glad you joined us calimomx2.
Sure, come on in, you don't have to quilt to come in and be sociable.

I hope to get some things finished that I started.....or talked about starting....last year.

I ventured down to look at my cutting table today.......and turned around and left........it is covered again!! :yikes: And I had it pretty much UNcovered when I made the hats....AARRRGGHHH!!

Storms coming in.........so I will get there......but have to prepare for the storms for a day or two.

#6 ·
Frugal Me - we have a quilting club and a quilting challenge - two different threads that will probably be followed by the same people interested in quilting.

For me, the difference is that the quilting challenge will be reflecting personal quilting goals that quilters will set for themselves. The quilting club will a place to share all things quilting. Example FF has gone to quilting shows and shared pictures that she takes and I always want to see more!!

#9 ·
Once upon a time I made a few quilt squares. I hope to learn more this year and to actually make something besides just squares.

I already checked out some books from the library that had some cute patterns. :cheer4:

#10 ·
I'm in. Thanks for getting it started MM.

I plan to finish a lap quilt that I started many years ago. After that, not sure. I am also here to keep an eye on FF to make sure she finishes the hip2besquare quilt. :D :laugh: ;)

#12 ·
I am also here to keep an eye on FF to make sure she finishes the hip2besquare quilt. :D :laugh: ;)
:eek: I take it this is my pay back??? :thud: Okay.....not another word about those socks!!!

I already checked out some books from the library that had some cute patterns. :cheer4:
Tons of free patterns online too........some fast and fun. Most fabric manufacturers have freebies.

#18 ·
I'm cutting flannel squares from old flannel shirts for a rag quilt. It may be a while before I'm done this one. I want to start cutting the pockets off old jeans and make a hanging quilt for my grandson. That way when he comes over his smaller toys can be stored in the pockets. (Parker is 9 months and loves putting things in boxes and pockets and taking them back out again.) When he is older we can store art supplies and card games.

#19 ·
Have part of the log cabin ready to go with the few squares of kaleidescope....(purple and white with a lilac {plant} print)...........just have to decide how I am going to put them together.

Will have to dig through some mags. for inspiration. Have the fabric I want to use.....hope it is enough.

#21 ·
What a great idea chowder. Would love to see pictures when you are done. :)

#22 ·
Chowder - what a great idea - cannot wait to see pictures!!

FF -and everybody quilting - pictures of works in progress are always appreciated too.

I did get my Hawaiian quilt basted need to do one area but can start quilting anythime now - are you listening to yourself MM?

#24 ·
Mahalo Deb - it really isn't going to look that different than the original photos - unless I can figure out a way to bring out the quilting on the back. funny thing - whenever I look at quilts, I immediately turn them over to see the quilting - which always shows better on the back!! The first quilting I am going to do is the echo quilting all around the applique work.

I finished the baby quilt and will post pictures soon. Using the same fabric as I used in about the three previous ones - dark and light turquoise, lt turq print and I added a dark brown/maroon fern print. The style is a bit different - you'll see.

Reactions: Debbie-cat
#26 ·
Glad you found the green FF. No help with the resizing here - good luck!!

#27 ·
I just resize my photos with my computer. It is the
Microsoft program. That's all I know FF. When I put my camera card in there it just automatically goes to it.

Reactions: frugalfranny
#28 ·
Thanks dc......will have to try it......never did get the other hat posted.........and could try for the blocks of the log cabin/kaleidoscope..........maybe tomorrow.

(seems like I have just been a 'jumbled mess' all winter!!) Having a little trouble getting my 'ducks in a row'..............

#29 ·
Interesting FF - you haven't seemed that way to me - doing a lot perhaps, but handling it all just fine IMHO!!

My friend was not at school today, so I couldn't give her the baby quilt - perhaps tomorrow!!

#30 ·
Ready to put the borders on the blocks......was playing with ideas today........am stuck..........

Would like to combine the 16 kalid. blocks that are 9 1/4 inches along with the 24 log cabin blocks that are 8 1/4 inches........hmmmmm.....not sure what to do. All together would be too big.....but.........

Also, glad I brought the two greens upstairs for some good daylight.......one doesn't go at all.........and one really works. Ended up the opposite of what I thought it would be......and I have a bolt of the good green.

#31 ·
Can you add 1/2 inch around the one set of blocks with a matching fabric FF so they are both 9 1/4 inches?

Reactions: frugalfranny
#33 ·
Don't have a matching fabric -and I have taken some pics from the day I was 'playing around' with the colors (after I found the green).....still on my camera.

But......I thought about adding enough of the green to bring the log cabins up to the same size as the kaleidoscope...........and then use that same green as the separator of the blocks...........little hard to explain w/o pics.

Both blocks have lilacs (the plant) in them and would love to put them together.........was drawing block arrangements last night.......came up with an idea.....just can't get it to work........yet.

Will see what happens to my pics.........don't even know what programs are on here to handle them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.