Question about rag quilts.
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Question about rag quilts.

I will often not use batting when I am making a rag quilt as they are too hot, especially if I am using flannel.

When I do use batting I just sew an X across the square........as I am usually in a hurry, as I am doing now.

I have tied one and on a smaller one (lap size) put some buttons in the center when it had a 'theme print' for a square.

What have you done with your rag quilts for quilting or to hold
    the batting in place if using a bigger square?

Do you use the squares to practice your quilting?

Share some of your ideas...........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Interesting questions ..... I've made over 100 patchwork or rag quilts and have tied all of them. When making Hawaiian quilts, I follow the traditional hand applique and then hand quilting.

When visiting a friend in CA this past September, her home was full of displayed quilts. When asked about them, she said that either I or her mother had made them. It was fun checking them out and finding some different quilt techniques that I had tried - over 35 years ago!!

Looking forward to seeing what others have to share!!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Most of my quilts have been tied with yarn or crochet thread. I really like the thin crochet cotton. I put a tie every 4" or so and it works out well. The smaller quilts I have made in the past year, the display size ones, I have machine quilted. I do all kinds of designs on those, depending on the quilt block and the fabric.

There is a place here in town where you can go and rent one of the huge quilting machines for an afternoon, and i am looking forward to finishing some of my larger quilts this winter and going to use that.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

WOW - I would love to try one of those machines!! Since I won't be doing so - in the anywhere near future - I cannot wait to hear how your experience goes!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have only seen the X sewn through each square FF. The rag quilt I am working on now.... The cotton fabric is 6" square and the batting is 4" square. Run an X though each square, sew the square together and then you have the 2" around each square to 'cut' the edges.

Hope you understand that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a shop here that rents out the Gammills. You have to take an all day class first (90.00) and rental is 15.00 per hour. There is a HUGE learning curve with those things! Don't expect to just walk in and start quilting.....it takes about 40 minutes to set your quilt on the machine. It's an expensive piece of machinery and if they are not kept in perfect condition, it's a nightmare. With that said....I have done about 12-15 quilts on one and have finally started to feel comfortable with them. But, if you wait too long in between, you tend to forget all the steps!!!! Also...there is usually a waiting list, so you have to sign up well in advance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    Interesting questions ..... I've made over 100 patchwork or rag quilts and have tied all of them.
    When you say "rag quilt" do you mean frayed edge or rag as in odds and ends of fabric tossed and mixed in a quilt with love?

I have only made one rag (frayed edge) trial with 2 squares. I did that to see how big a seam I needed to get the frayed effect I wanted. The rest of the cut out denim is all neatly in a shoe box awaiting the right moment. No batting and no X.

I like to do the meandering quilting on pieced quilts. I have done stitch in the ditch but find it is difficult to keep the stitching straight. At least if I wander, when it is washed it has that wrinkly look and the quilting oopsies aren't as noticable.

piney

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    When you say "rag quilt" do you mean frayed edge or rag as in odds and ends of fabric tossed and mixed in a quilt with love?piney
    It is the frayed edge ones that I am asking about piney. I
    seldom put batting in them but I am on this one. They are
    SUPER TOASTY with the batting! I should stay plenty warm while I have this one on my lap cutting it.

I have another 'in planning' and thought about doing some meandering quilting........just for something different to do.

We have a couple shops here in town that rent the large gammills too........but I have never taken the lessons. The gal that has done some of my quilting owns one......she loves it. Electronic and
    programmable...........super neat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My quilts were all patchwork - squares and shapes layed out and organized. My misunderstanding of the term 'rag' quilt - but now I am interested and will be checking it out online - hmmmm - perhaps another skill to hone!