Flannel?

Thread: Flannel?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Flannel?

I see that JoAnn's has a great sale on flannel (that catches my eye every time I walk by) coming up on (groan) the day after Thanksgiving -- very early. The $4-5 fabric will be .99 yard with an additional 20% off coupon -- eighty cents a yard! I have an invitation to put items for sale in a pretty upscale daycare here, and I'm thinking children's quilts. At that price, since I would have a good chance of selling them, that would be a sweet deal.

But I have never used flannel -- for anything. Have any of you ever used it for a quilt? Does it work? It is easy/hard to cut, sew? Any warnings or tips? Should I forget the whole idea? I would really appreciate your advice. For that price I would actually drag out for a dawn sale on the worst shopping day of the year -- if I wouldn't be stuck with yards of (beautiful) fabric that I couldn't use!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You have to check into a pattern called Rag Quilt. It is perfect with flannel. Rag quilts that are little kids size are super easy to whip together and are so cute. I've sold tons of them to people and that's at 14 bucks a meter!!!!!! I would definitely get out of bed for that one.........yet one more reason to wish I lived closer to the border! Good Luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's a great idea. I have not seen or made rag quilts, but I did a google search and it sounds really easy. What seam allowance do you use? The instructions I saw were very vague about that. And do you cut the batting the size of the square minus the seam allowance?

Someone suggested washing them by hand and then drying them to save the plumbing. That sounded smart to me. Does it seem reasonable?

Can't wait for the sale. It's only 6-9 am. I work evenings and I'm usually up very late -- I may just drink strong tea and make it a very late ending to the day before, rather than a very early beginning!

Thanks for the input.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Flannel is great for quilts

I did that sale a couple of years ago and am just finishing using up that flannel.

Word of caution though: you must be at the store before it opens to get your hands on the flannel. There's always a line out the door at my Joann's, and some women take a dozen bolts up to be cut at a time.

I don't think I can drag myself out of bed for that sale this year!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i love working with flannel, i use it for backing, and the quilt it self, i have also been known to use it for batting when i have none and want a light weight quilt. the rag quilt is great and super fast as others have said, i take mine down to a laundry mat so not to mess up my plumbing, but if made small enough you may not have that isssue. also just a flannel quilt with contrasting colors is nice.
    good luck and let us know what you do

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love working with flannel! It makes a great quilt. I have used it to make lots of 9 patch quilts. I love the look of the rag quilts but they kill my allergies with all the lint that they shed. I had a gorgeous one but I had to give it away because I woke up with my sinus's clogged up every morning that slept with it but when I quit using it my sinus's cleared up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wonder how the flannel sale turned out? I'm so jealous! I sew a baby quilt version of the rag quilt all the time and they are snapped up quickly at sales. My squares are cut 9 by 9 inches, my batting is cut 7 by 7 inches. I think my seam allowance is 1 inch, I have a piece of tape on my machine. I grab a bunch of corresponding flannel, I think its 5 fat quarters or so and then I just use a solid color for the back. Its 4 squares across and 5 down, 20 all together. Make it as big or as small as you want! Its easy and fast and people seem to like them!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i was wondering how it went also