What would you choose?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What would you choose?

I'm excitedly looking ahead to summer (the only time of year I can stand it up here). Last summer my Dh and I got camping gear (bare basics...tent, sleeping bags, etc...no stove, sleep pads, etc.). We only got out to go camping once, but I really enjoyed it.

Just a few weeks ago we were talking about summer plans and Dh tells me that he actually doesn't like camping. What?! Ok...would've been nice if that was voiced before buying camping gear...however minimal. GRRRR...

He says he doesn't like it and doesn't really want to go, but would go for me because I like it. On one hand...that's really sweet and giving. On the other hand...tent camping is a LOT of work and I feel bad taking his weekends and leave time up camping if he doesn't like it.

We live in a very tiny place with a very tiny storage space. I feel bad keeping the gear (taking up 1/3 of our little storage space) and "making" him go camping (taking his break time) when it's only for me. Camping up here isn't cheap either...it's $10-$15/night for a *tent* spot! And at least $30-$40 of gas per camping trip -- long drives. I don't want to go alone (unsafe) and don't know anyone else who would go.

I know there are things about it he enjoys, like cooking over a fire and gold panning...should I just have us do these activities as day trips? Should I keep the gear and "make" him go? Should I just sell the gear and not bother with any of it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How great that he was honest with you - gotta love it!!

Personally, I would sell the camping supplies and opt for short trips that you both will enjoy!!

Please let us know what you decide.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow, that's a hard choice. I agree with Maui on day trips using the cooking equipment.
    Maybe save the tent for one year before you sell it in case he changes his mind.
    It would be more expensive to replace it unless you can get good cash on Craigslist or something like that
    Good luck and I do think he's a great hubby for being honest

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User daughter of pearl's Avatar
    I live in an eastern suburb of Toronto in Canada, near Lake Ontario and lots of park land.
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Is there something that he likes that you really don't but you go along with to make him happy?

For me, if it's a trade off, I would be able to justify it.

Otherwise I would probably sell the stuff and use the money for a joint venture.

But I'm also single, so really, listen to me at your peril!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd opt to keep it just in case - if you can spare the room. I mean its money spent and you may be able to use it it other non offical camping situations etc - ie visiting friends and opting to sleep in their yard vs in their house if its too crowded?

I do agree its very sweet of DH to go camping with/for you. Even if its just once/summer, I'd think its worth it to do it. I'd consider it a trade off - you each do one thing for each other you don't really enjoy doing. And then divy up the remaining free time doing mutal things.

Have you two discussed why he seems to not like camping? Anything you can do to make it a more fun experience for him? Maybe this summer - invite friends to join you from afar? I know the first few times I went camping it was boring but after going with different friends and a small group of friends - I loved it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daughter of pearl View Post
    Is there something that he likes that you really don't but you go along with to make him happy?

Otherwise I would probably sell the stuff and use the money for a joint venture.
    I agree w/ this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the trade-off concept
    however, my dh at first did not like camping because he found it soooo uncomfortable to sleep on the ground. Maybe consider getting a few pieces that will make you more comfy ( sleep pad makes a HUGE difference) you can get the kind which you roll up so it doesn't take up lots of space and you could get them second hand so they won't cost a bunch either! Also camping is an acquired taste I find! Good luck with that

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Keep the sleeping bags, regardless of what you decide about camping, you can use them for guests and emergencies (keep one in the car if you have space).

First, find out why he doesn't like camping and see if there is a way to solve the issue if you can.

Personally, I wouldn't have fun if I knew my dh was having a cruddy time, so I don't know if I'd bother with the overnights if he really hates it. We actually haven't camped in 4 years now (even though we both love it) but we have had a lot of really great day trips. I would just stick with those for a while.

On the other hand, you might find a really cool place that he wants to visit which is just a bit too far for one day and maybe he would be willing to do an overnight at a campground so you have time to explore. Then it isn't so much camping as just a place to stay.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think I would be in a hurry to sell it.....

Find out WHAT he doesn't like about it........can this part be changed or made better? What would he rather do? Anything where you can use at least part of what you bought?

Like another poster said........I would keep the sleeping bags either way..........they can be used for other things. I sold mine years ago and many times have wished I had them.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Enjoy your outdoor activities but get a cheap hotel room at night.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by porembam View Post
    Wow, that's a hard choice. I agree with Maui on day trips using the cooking equipment.
    Maybe save the tent for one year before you sell it in case he changes his mind.
    It would be more expensive to replace it unless you can get good cash on Craigslist or something like that
    Good luck and I do think he's a great hubby for being honest
    He is a really great hubby...he's been amazingly supportive of me ALWAYS. And he works really hard...

Quote Originally Posted by daughter of pearl View Post

But I'm also single, so really, listen to me at your peril!
    The only thing that he likes and I don't that I'm a part of is living UP HERE (I really hate it up here - A LOT). But, financially, it's the wisest choice...so, it's not like he's being a stinker or anything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Enjoy your outdoor activities but get a cheap hotel room at night.
    I would love that...but "cheap" and "hotel room" don't go in the same sentence up here... The "cheap" rooms near any camping (south) are $89/night + tax (tourist tax). They are NOT fancy, but they're clean. And near camping (north) is over $100/night EASY - and that's REALLY not fancy... Seriously. I know...it sounds NUTS. It is. Can I move YET?!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think for you two keeping a sleeping bag in the car if you have room is a great idea. Plus they come in handy if you have company.

See if there are any clubs that go camping in your area. Maybe you could join. Does not mean hubby has to go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love camping and used to do it for years but now those ole bones get achey from sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag !

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate camping in a tent, also. But I LOVE camping in our pop up camper. When we first camped we tried tent camping. Just did not work for me at all. It was totally uncomfortable to sleep so close to the ground and when it rained, it was miserable. Then we bought a used pop up and the rest is history. Now obviously, financially it is probably not feasible for y'all to buy an RV of any kind, and you don't have the space to keep it right now anyway. Perhaps ,in the distant future, if you enjoy camping a lot, you can try renting an RV or pop up camper (which is like the tent, but with the comforts of an RV) to see if DH enjoys that more.

As for now, I would do what others have suggested. Keep the equipment for now. You never know when it might come in handy. Maybe y'all could do one camping trip a year and then do something he likes to do another time. Kind of a compromise. Good luck--your DH sounds like a sweetheart.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast