How do you tell somebody they stink!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How do you tell somebody they stink!

Have you ever had a friend or coworker that just smells like a molded armpit? I have an employee that does an excellant job, and is a pretty good freind. But here lately he smells like rotten armpit or something, it's hard to describe but he stinks very much bad!
    I have never had to deal with this as long as I have been supervising people, and am thinking about just putting a can of Right guard in his desk drawer. But is that the right way to send the message?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry....laughed when I read the thread post..........my first thought was.............as in body odor?.........or PERSONALITY???? Haven't know too many of the prior............but I know a few of the latter mentioned types.

the other thing, Mr fixit,.............can't say that I have smelled too many "molded armpits".........molded cloth?---yes......molded food???------yes........just not too many "molded armpits'!!!!

On a more serious note..........I had to deal with this YEARS ago, as a supervisor, and it was harder than firing someone...........I finally just took her aside and "prefaced it" by saying that I was very uncomfy in doing this but...........blah.........blah...........blah. Am sure we were BOTH embarrassed but it worked out.

GENTLY.....would be my first instinct............some people can't help it.....(she couldn't---she was having health issues that 'caused' it)........

at other times if people are eating LOTS of garlic.....and/or....onions...it will come through their pores.........with some people!! I am one of those that if I eat ONE ONION........I can tell the next day!!! I can eat garlic by the ton.........by NOT onions. I have a friend that has to eat quite a few onions--more than one---but I can then smell them..........it is just a FUNKY odor. Probably are other spices/items that could cause it too.........and sometimes an RX will do this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, don't put Right Guard in his desk drawer. I think the best way is to do as frugalfranny did with her co-worker. Take him aside and tell him gently. Don't embarrass him in front of others.

A zinc deficiency can cause body odor.

This is a humiliating thing and you should try to make it as easy on him as possible.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with both frugalfanny and daylily. You have to talk to him privately and mention the odor. He may/may not know that he stinks and doesn't know what to do about it. Ain't it grand being the boss?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OMG I had to laugh when I read the title altho it's NOT funny at all.
    At my old job we had people with allergy issues so bad that eventually all perfumes wearing was banned.
    We were at a department meeting one day when someone piped up that altho they understood the ban on perfumes to help coworkers with their allergies there is just some people here that plain STINK of B.O. and could use perfume!!!
    You could have heard a pin drop in the room and there was never another B.O. problem after that.
    Perhaps you could have a general department meeting and just go over a general dress code/personal hygiene policy if there is one to kind of get the word out that this isn't acceptable without singling anyone out? I agree there are medical reasons sometimes where it can't be helped, but maybe if it's put out there to everyone they'll be more aware to try and take care of the problem or find a solution?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd approach it from a medical standpoint. . . take him aside privately and mention that you've noticed a change in his body odor. You're concerned for his health, as many health conditions can cause odors. . .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I think I have figured it out. He goes out with friends on Tuesday nights, and probably gets pretty juiced. So I think he simply gets out of bed with a hangover, doesn't take a shower, and comes to work. It seems like funk always occurs on Wednesday according to Karen my admin assistant.
    I will talk to him as soon a possible and tell him in a diplomatic way that every wednesday he smells like azz and rotten armpit and if he has to be a little late to get a shower, it's OK by me! he is very punctual so I know he will make time for a shower without being late if I tell him that!
    Thanks so much for your advice!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

pffft. Ya'll are too polite. "dude, Did you run out of water at your house and skip the shower?"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you said "here lately" . Perhaps he's ill in some sort of way

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    pffft. Ya'll are too polite. "dude, Did you run out of water at your house and skip the shower?"
    Well Russ if he wasn't an employee I would tell him just that, but I feel I need to be a little more tactful in this case. My company has policies about how to handle employees and just lambasting him wld not be in conformance.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have the same policies, but a "pretty good friend" would get the treatment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Privately, to the point, is how I would handle it. Getting all passive aggressive by putting a can of deodorant in his desk likely wouldn't have the best response.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fixit View Post
    He goes out with friends on Tuesday nights, and probably gets pretty juiced. So I think he simply gets out of bed with a hangover, doesn't take a shower, and comes to work. It seems like funk always occurs on Wednesday according to Karen my admin assistant.
    !

Yep...............I would say BINGO!!! good luck!!!! tough topic to discuss.........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Update: I had a private chat with him, and told him he was doing a great job, and how valuable he is to my department to just start out with a positive note. Then I explained that when he goes out drinking with his son, that the next day he has an objectionable odor and I dont want him hurting his career just because he sleeps too late to take a shower. He didn't seem to be offended, and stated that he would watch that issue in the future.
    So, at last for now, the problem should be solved!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad it worked out, MrF..............now let's hope that he takes the action he needs to for it to be solved.

I am really surprised that he couldn't smell it himself..........the gal I had to talk to said that she knew about it.....and could smell it.......but her's was
    medical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast