The girls and money
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default The girls and money

As most of you know I live with 2 girlfriends, and we all get along very well. But when it comes to money, I almost never agree with how they manage their money. They both have professional positions, and make a good salary, and they both have 401K accounts, some savings, nice cars, nice everything.
    But my god, there is a constant stream of boxes coming to our house every week, they both have every purse, and peice of jewelry that Brighton makes. They have more clothes that all of our closets can possibly hold, and that is just a breif description of all of the stuff they have.
    Now, I love the way they always look, and they are both upscale city girls and must look nice for their jobs, but I think they are spending way too much of their money, and not saving enough for their futures.
    Since it is their money, and they earn it, I feel limited to how much I can say to them about my concernes, and we have had many conversations about it and they always agree with me, but it just never stops.
    For the last year, I have mostly just given up, and I figure hey, it's thier money so what to heck, but it still bothers me because if they ever lose their jobs, I doubt if they could ever conform to a low budget existance.
    So, I guess I am just wondering if any of you guys have ever had this problem, and what would you do?
    They never ask me for anything, and they always pay their bills as well as helping me with utilities, food, and things that cost me money due to them living with me, so I cant really complain. But I honestly wonder why a women would need so much stuff!
    Am I crazy and should I just not let this bother me?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes let them live their lives how they see fit at this time imho...live and let learn....

brighton? is that even still popular? i have consigned all of mine.....didnt realize it was still a popular thing. maybe just where we live it is not....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If they can cover their end of the bargain, don't hound them about it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fixit View Post
    Am I crazy and should I just not let this bother me?
    I don't think you're crazy and I can see it does bother you: the real question is - why does it bother you? Maybe you are trapped, legally, in a shared domestic arrangement which would mean that, came the day they couldn't keep up their end of the domestic finances - you would be in deep s***; in which case - maybe now would be the time to review the legal situation and find the escape loopholes.

Other than that - bite your tongue, look the other way, get on with your life . . .

I can't speak from a position of having shared domestic arrangements/finances with anyone else (lucky me?). I can't really speak from the position of being a woman who needs "so much stuff" because I'm a low-level consumer. Actually, MyLovelyMan says one of the things that drew him to me, in the early days, was the fact that I'm a cheap date! I don't understand, any more than you do, why ANYONE would need so much stuff since it's obvious, to me, that possessions don't make for happiness.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They both work, make their own money and are able to pay their bills and contribute to the household you all share so I say let it go! IMHO there isn't anything wrong with wanting/having nice things, if they can afford them. Maybe eventually they will start to think about saving more but until then there really isn't anything you can do other than express your concerns.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well that is kind of where I am at. I love them both very much, and if their stuff means that much, it's ok. I already have everything I could ever really want, and I don't buy much anymore, so maybe that is why the constant inflow of stuff just amazes me.
    I have been keeping quiet about their spending and will continue doing so. And there are no legal reasons this worries me, I just see how much money they could save if they just cut back on the doo dads!