Sisterly Disagreement!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by josantoro View Post
    how are they going to get a mortgage with such small income?
    They say they are going to use all the money from the sale of their present home AND the VA ( Veterans Administration) will back them for the new home which they will have built.
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBetta View Post
    How long have they had it? Is it too late for them to return it? I've lived in a few states where you could return a vehicle for any reason within one week of purchase.
    I believe they have had it too long...also they say they are keeping it...low gas mileage, monthly payment and all...............
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBetta View Post
    I had a coworker who needed to replace her car around the same time and she chose to get a brand new Toyota, then complained about her car payment being almost $400 per month and how she was having to take on extra shifts to make it. A family member of mine constantly goes on about how broke they are, yet recently bought a $40,000 car because it gets great gas mileage. Really? REALLY?
    Yep I had a coworker who did the same...AND when her husband lost his job the car was repossessed..............................

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by citrine View Post
    Oh boy! I would just walk away from all this....keep your opinions to yourself....they are adults.
    Yep Yep I am keeping quiet.

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bookwormpeg View Post
    What? They are going to sell the house, built a bigger one & they will have a mortgage???? And they live on SS and a small pension. They already have a truck payment??? Are they nuts???? JK.....You are being smart by keeping quiet...
    Yep I am keeping completely quiet....If they have even ONE financial crisis they will end up in a small apartment and the house will be foreclosed and the truck will be repossessed....really really sad...but I can see it happening....

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It is very sad. If they are both competent, then it is on their shoulders. All you can do is love them and love your sister. You might want to let everyone know that you will not be making any financial contributions in the future for the mistakes they are making.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by CPA-Kim View Post
    It is very sad. If they are both competent, then it is on their shoulders. All you can do is love them and love your sister. You might want to let everyone know that you will not be making any financial contributions in the future for the mistakes they are making.
    Oh EVERYONE knows that as I made it clear on another occasion that I will NOT be giving/loaning any money to any of them....

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately, everyone needs to make their own mistakes

Your dad buying a truck doesn't bother me in terms of practicality. Every one has their vice.

However, they are doing things they can't afford, then it's pretty scary.

I would sit down with them, lay it all out, every last detail, make them face all their monthly expenses and debts. You said they are frail, can they afford to get the landscaping done when the house is built? Can your mom afford the payment is something happens to dad or vice versa. I would research every cost that comes with a new build, right down to insurance and taxes. I don't know if I could stand by and watch my parents lose everything because it's on their bucket list. I don't care if I have $0 inheritance. I just want to be sure that if they need to be in a seniors home, they have the means to be in a good one. If they are widowed, the surviving one isn't scraping to live. I want either one of them to live comfortably, not go hungry or cold because they can't afford both, and my parents would, both are too proud to ask for help.

I am so sorry you have to worry about their finances.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mommy4ever View Post
    Unfortunately, everyone needs to make their own mistakes

I would sit down with them, lay it all out, every last detail, make them face all their monthly expenses and debts. You said they are frail, can they afford to get the landscaping done when the house is built? Can your mom afford the payment is something happens to dad or vice versa. I would research every cost that comes with a new build, right down to insurance and taxes. I don't know if I could stand by and watch my parents lose everything because it's on their bucket list. I don't care if I have $0 inheritance. I just want to be sure that if they need to be in a seniors home, they have the means to be in a good one. If they are widowed, the surviving one isn't scraping to live. I want either one of them to live comfortably, not go hungry or cold because they can't afford both, and my parents would, both are too proud to ask for help.
    For my sanity thanks for the advice but I am keeping quiet. I have finally made peace with the idea that if they lose everything then they will just lose everything. They will then have to move into a small apartment...but so be it...

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Frequently when I read threads I wonder what happened and wish their was an update...here is my update ( it is not a happy ending).

1.)My parents did not move or have a new house built.
    2.) My Dad was diagnosed with a neurological disorder and his drivers license was revoked due to this disorder.
    3.)My parents are still making payments on the truck.
    4.) My mom is now thinking of selling the truck AND YES now they owe more money on the truck then it is worth.

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well,since I had my ddad pass in 2013 I can aapreciate this situation more. AND FWIW I have been very frustrated at times w/ Dmom. She won't spend money to make her life easier so when I get the money after she passes I wont enjoy it as much. My question is-Did he love the heck out of having it while he could? Because that might be worth a lot. And its good they didnt build that house right.
    Everyone has pipe dreams even old people.
    The one thing about this story that does irritate me is I hate people who convince others to do things w/o any practical thought. Does your sister need a truck. Maybe she should make payments and drive them around in it. KWIM?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry to hear about your Mom frugal warrior.
    Yes it is good that my parents did NOT build another home.
    Yes Dad does LOVE the truck.
    It is very discouraging that my sis did encourage them to buy the truck in the first place and just this summer my sister bought a new truck so no she does not need a second truck.

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I dont know either of you or your Ddad but I would guess that the truth was in between somewhere. I would guess a less new truck could have filled the bill.
    A Lot of us,myself included tend to be more conservative. And thats ok. I love being debt free but when you get to last chances (because of age) or maybe illness
    I will go w/ let if fly a bit. That said,I also hate,hate,hate it when people try to spent old peoples money because they know best.

Too funny the other day. Dmom says so you want to go to Italy because I won a free stay. (she is terrified to fly and never has) so I know its bull. So she was telling me about the scam call she got. I'm like just tell me your CC number wasnt invloved. She laughed. I told her I was mad she teased me w/ Italy. She said we can go ya wanna go. I said yeah right,you on a plane, I'd rather go w/ my cat. We'd get kicked off anyway. I'd have to knock her out!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123