Frugal divorce ideas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Frugal divorce ideas

Well, my STBXH has moved out from our apartment about a week ago and the last time I saw him, he said that either we sign a separation agreement or get divorced. I am law-dummy and have googled for divorce help online and they offer really low rates. However I am hesitating about filing it online, because divorce seems to me a really complex process. At the same time, I can't afford lawyer. Lost and not sure what to do...Thank you for any pitches.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Try searching for "Legal Aid Society" for the state you live in, call them and see what they suggest.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I’m sorry you are going through this.

Legal aid would be my first suggestion as well. If that doesn’t work out, call a few lawyers and ask about price. Depending on how much back and forth you and the STBX do, it might not be that expensive. Mine from my first husband was actually very cheap but we both just wanted it over. He got the house and contents, I got my son.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It can be done online without a lawyer in some states. My son is recently divorced. His ex moved to another state where she only had to be a resident 60 days to file. Got everything online. Mailed the papers to him, he signed, sent them back. She filed it with the court.

It was easy for them because there are no children involved. She wants nothing. Just her personal items. Not sure how or when she'll get that. The only thing he has to do is get her name off the mortgage by a certain date. If it doesn't happen, they can sell the house from under him. He didn't want the divorce, but she's just nuts and won't talk to him at all. Accuses him of stalking her, harassing her, etc. He just wanted to talk about how this was going to go. It's done.

As long as it's mutual, no children, and you can agree how to divide everything, no alimony, etc. , you should be able to do it online if it's allowed in your state.