Meeting frugal people?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Meeting frugal people?

Hi, all-

I'm a "newly single" guy. 41, divorced after 12 yrs., ex has primary custody of my 8YO son.

I've always been fairly frugal, and now with the legal bills and the support taking 30+% of my take-home pay, I'm even more so.

Problem I have is trying to date - there aren't any sites that match up for frugal people, like there are for most any other niche group - if I was a tatooed vegan (just an example, no offense if you are a tatooed vegan), I'd have a site to go to, but not as a frugal person.

If I'm honest (like I'm supposed to be) and *say* I'm frugal on a dating site profile, most people immediately jump to the conclusion that I'm cheap. No, I just don't have much money, and would rather spend it on important things, not fluff.

So, any suggestions/ideas for metting like-minded people?

Thanks,
    David

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't know if you are religious or not, but I know a lot of people meet others at singles groups at churches. I'm sure you could find like-minded people there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I suppose you could go to eHarmony and include the frugal info in your bio, and could say you're looking for frugal-minded women to meet. I have no personal experience with dating services, it was just an idea. Put the word out there with your friends and family as well. Good luck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey, I'm single, 41, and frugal, but I live in the Lehigh Valley area of PA it would be a bit of a hike from Pittsburg lol!

I've tried the Match.com thing....geeze what a waste of money in my opinion. As was suggested I would try the church singles or perhaps volunteer with a community based organization in your area?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I'm married, but I think there are quite a few single gals around here.

Honestly, I have no idea. I worry about being a young widow. If that ever occurs, I'll probably remain single because I wouldn't have a clue where to find a nice man.

Good luck to you and welcome to the forums. Have you found "The Shed" yet? We have a couple of men who hang around there. I hope you stick around.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, all - some good ideas.
    I'll check out some of the other forums, too.
    If you know any single frugal women around Pgh., let 'em know where to find me

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm 42, single, frugal... but I'm from Michigan and that's a lot farther away!! But darn... PAVallyGrl beat me to it!!! LOL

There's nothing wrong with being frugal. It doesn't mean you're cheap, it means you spend your money wisely.

I think you just need to be yourself. The right one is out there and she won't care if you're frugal. Ms. Right will be just as frugal.

But if want to maybe the 3 of us should start a yahoo group... call it Frugal Singles... LOL!! Just a thought.

Hang out here any time you want... might learn a thing or two!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Go to places frugal folk normally go -- second hand stores, used bookstores, recycling depos, yard sales, salvage stores, dollar stores, libraries, etc. and strike up conversations with women you find attractive or interesting. Just because a woman is looking through second hand children's toys and clothes doesn't mean she's married -- you yourself are single and have a child. So be willing to chat with other folks, both men and women, to try to make some friendships with other frugal folk. Go dressed casually and neat, with a hint of nice smell and clean shave. Nothing sexier, IMHO (though my looks really good scruffy too). Just look and be pleasant and make interesting conversation.

Have fun, keep us updated!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Naderbug View Post
    Go to places frugal folk normally go -- second hand stores, used bookstores, recycling depos, yard sales, salvage stores, dollar stores, libraries, etc. and strike up conversations with women you find attractive or interesting. Just because a woman is looking through second hand children's toys and clothes doesn't mean she's married -- you yourself are single and have a child. So be willing to chat with other folks, both men and women, to try to make some friendships with other frugal folk. Go dressed casually and neat, with a hint of nice smell and clean shave. Nothing sexier, IMHO (though my looks really good scruffy too). Just look and be pleasant and make interesting conversation.

Have fun, keep us updated!

Nader read my mind! I've met many nice people (male & female) in the thrift store ~ esp around the music & books! ~ good luck & I hope you meet someone wonderful & frugal!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Somtimes loves finds you when you least expect. Sometimes love comes softly. Some of the reply you have gotten are really good ideas. I know there is someone out there for you. Blessings to you and your son...Kathy