How to make new blanket more like old blanket?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question How to make new blanket more like old blanket?

So for any of you moms (or dads) that have had this issue, any info on how you handled it would be great!!

My son is 3. He is a blanket kid-always has been. Right from the start I was really good at changing the blankets around-they are all the same material (in fact 5 are made from the EXACT SAME THING)-but there was a white one, a green one, then 2 blue with blue trim and 3 blue with micky mouse trim. I changed them around at least every day-and sometimes several times a day-so he was not "hooked" to any ONE blanket. Well that was find and whatever blanket you handed him was perfect until he was about 2. He is 3 now-and if "blue blankie" goes away it is like a torture!! I have tried trading the "old" one for what he calls the "new one" (they are the same! The only difference is that he has worn one out!!!) while he is sleeping-he will wake up from a dead sleep to scream that he wants his OLD BLANKIE back. He says they smell different-so I wash them together. Still-even in the dark-he knows. I see that TV commercial where the mom takes a brand new bear and washes the car with it, runs over it, pulls off an eye....and the child accepts it. I swear-I am thinking about it!! LOL The one he loves just looks sooooo rough now! And I know that it is not that big of a deal because he will outgrow it, but I get annoyed if we are with family and they ask if I ever wash it. (And the answer is YES I was it A LOT, but it is just worn out!!!)

So I am SURE someone else has had this happen-do you just accept the old worn out one, or do you wash the car with the newer one? LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All four of mine were/are blankie kids. Once they got to a certain age, around 2-3yrs old, the rule was the blankie was only for home. Then once they were school-aged, the blankies are only for bedrooms (unless they are sick).

It's a comfort item. There are worse things, IMO, for them to be attached to. My oldest will be 16 this summer. She STILL sleeps with her blankie (and wears it on her head first thing in the morning, but you didn't hear that from me LOL).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL-so maybe he WILL have this for a while.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I say don't worry about letting him use the same blankie. It makes him feel comforted. Worrying about what your family thinks is less important than your baby feeling secure IMO. Other than that, maybe you could stuff the new blanket in a pillow case or just leave it in his bed so that it will acquire his smell? Good luck

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeMom View Post
    My oldest will be 16 this summer. She STILL sleeps with her blankie (and wears it on her head first thing in the morning, but you didn't hear that from me LOL).
    YankeeMom ~ I LOVE it. My 9 year old has 2 blankies that she either wads up and sleeps on or spreads out across her pillow every night. If they happen to be in the washer when it is time for bed I better get them dry quickly!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We had the same things with my little sister. Even when she was in high school, she'd come in, pick up the blanket off the bed, sniff it, and throw it back down! She eventually graduated college, married, has 3 wonderful kiddos, and is "normal." I wouldn't worry!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

*lol* i still have a blankie... of course every few years it gets really ratty and i have to go buy fleece and trimming and make myself a new one.. only issue is the new ones take time to break in.

My ex had such a bad blanket issue he HAD to have a fleece blanket with feely things he called them basically baby blanket edging on the feet.. so he could tuck his feet into it. To top it off he didn't want it washed.. not only would it smell different ( which quite frankly was a good thing PHEW ) but it would lint up the fleece and he would have a royal fit. hated his stinky blanket.

BTW give the old blanket a new smell .. like lavender or vanilla something relaxing still .. then put the same smell on the new one after he has gotten used to his old blanket having that smell.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here is a thought, I have no idea if it will work or not, but it might be worth a try...

Maybe try pinning the blankets together for awhile. Not sure what you would use, becuase you don't want him sleeping with safety pins or anything, but maybe you could quickly stitch a peice of velcro on to stick them together. Then after a couple of weeks, he might associate them both together, then you can take them apart, and it won't matter which one he has. Just a thought, don't know if it'll work or not!

We had problems when my oldest was younger. He had a white blanky with bears on it, well DH did the laundry one Sunday and the white blanky became a pink blanky.Took DS a little bit to get used to it, then he freaked out when the pink faded out. We had to keep washing it with the reds, so it would stay pink! : )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

He now has ME sleeping with the new blankie because he SAYS he will cuddle it if it smells like me. I am pretty sure this wont work either, but who knows! HA

Never thought about trying to keep the together...its an idea for sure....now how to make it work out! Hmmmm

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aww, thats too cute. My little brother is the same way. He got this blue teddy bear when he was born, and the thing looks like it's been to Hell and back, I kid you not. We've tried everything, nothing can replace it. He loves that thing, and probably always will.