what to do with old family stuff?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question what to do with old family stuff?

How can I do a family photo album/scrapbook? I really need some pointers here. I have some old photos from the early 1900s. Plus I have old diaries of my Gram's, and old family letters and cards. I'm just not sure how to put it all together. Any ideas? Or links to sites with examples?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Peanut,
    I don't scrapbook so I don't have an answer for you.

What I did want to tell you is that you should scan
    all of the pictures, cards, letters and Grandma's diaries
    and put them on a disc. You could give copies to
    other family members. The main purpose though is
    to have a copy if something like a fire were to happen.
    Be sure to keep one disc in a special place for safekeeping!

I have been scanning all of Mom's photograph books for
    this reason. All of the pictures of my daughter, her
    awards, cards she gave me over the years, and special
    things she made in grade school so many years ago.

By the way, Grandma's diaries are priceless! What a
    wonderful thing to come into possession of!

When you get your answers, have a wonderful time
    with this project!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Ho I have some old photos from the early 1900s. Plus I have old diaries of my Gram's, and old family letters and cards. I'm just not sure how to put it all together. Any ideas? Or links to sites with examples?
    Hope you get some good links peanut.....

but you didn't say what sort of 'tools' you have to work with. Do you have a scanner? A photo program..IE: photoshop or one of the others? You are such an excellent quilter that I think some of the photos ought to go in a QUILT. Not that hard to do AT ALL but you do need the above mentioned tools....along with a 'good' printer.

I agree with the above poster about making 'copies' too. And if nothing else a shadow box frame. That is what I did with some of my mom's things........have the 'grouping' for my dad's...just haven't gotten it done yet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When my mom died 12 years ago, I divided her recipes, writings, etc. up and made scrapbooks for my four sisters and I. I color copied some one of a kind items (like her high school transcripts and photos) as well. That way everyone had some common stuff and some unique items.
    Strange but true story: several years later, my younger sister's home burned down. As the fire was going on, my dad called on his cell from her front yard, saying everyone got out ok (thank God) but that my sister was distraught about that scrapbook. I assured her I could reproduce it for her. The next day, when the fire dept allowed them back in the house, the book case was full of water-soaked and smoke damaged books EXCEPT that scrapbook, which was absolutely untouched and bone dry!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Chicken Skin time MC!!

Love the idea of scanning everything - mahalo for sharing that. There is another group that might like copies of things you are willing to share - the local historical society.

Over spring break, I am planning on working on our family photos also - and am so looking forward to it. Peanut - I'm planning on using ideas that are generated by this thread - so everyone, please share!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am TERRIBLE about taking pictures of places we go (well, truthfully, I'm just terrible about pictures) so I always buy postcards to put in scrapbooks. When my mom died, I went to the living history place we all loved (Billie Creek Village in Rockville, Indiana - home of the Covered Bridge Festival) and bought postcards of various scenes, and wrote out memories of our trips as captions for the postcards. You can write to places if you can't physically go and buy the postcards.
    When I did the spread about mom's high school years, I copied a picture of her in her cheerleader outfit (none of my sisters knew she had been a cheerleader) and her HS transcript, and did the page in her school colors.
    I researched consumer prices and old ads from the time, and listed what common stuff cost back then (movie prices, groceries, automobiles, etc) as well as who won Academy Awards, most popular TV shows and such. (Can you tell history is my favorite subject )?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone!

Tools I have to work with: a scanner, a good printer (dye, not ink).

A very rudimentary photo imaging program. I lost Paint Shop Pro when my computer went into the shop. It was DD#2's to begin with and she's at the other end of the country. So I can't reload it onto my computer. I'm in the market for a new one. Any ideas? I thought about Adobe, but it's very expensive.

I alos have a ton of scrapbooking supplies. I had thought about just doing photo albums and keeping the letters separate. But now I'm not so sure... there are a lot of letters!

A quilt is a good idea for later. It's actually something I've thought about before. I just need to find time for it. Right now my main focus is to get everything out of a cardboard box and into better storage/display.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    A very rudimentary photo imaging program. I lost Paint Shop Pro when my computer went into the shop. It was DD#2's to begin with and she's at the other end of the country. So I can't reload it onto my computer. I'm in the market for a new one. Any ideas? I thought about Adobe, but it's very expensive.
    Any way she can send you the cd to reload?

Adobe Photoshop Elements isn't as exp. as the 'full' photoshop. It does what I need to do. I have taken classes in that one so that is all I know. Check the prices at your store.......THEN look on Ebay. Can sometimes get it cheaper there....make sure it is SEALED and new. Hope someone will respond that has used 'multiple' programs. I would be interested in knowing their opinion.

It has been a few years but I do recall there is a certain way of preserving 'old paper'........maybe check it out online. Keeps it from turning into dust, years down the road.

When you get ready to do the quilt it is MUCH CHEAPER to make your own photo fabric. Using Bubble Jet Set 2000 and at least a 200 thread count muslin. Can buy it all online at a necktie place. From my past experience I would say don't even CONSIDER the iron on transfer stuff.....not for a quilt heirloom.

Still watching for threads posted here..........I am not much help in the scrap booking area.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you have damaged photos or photos on slides or whatever and you have a little money to spend, you can ship all your stuff to www.scancafe.com and they will put it on discs for you and ship everything back to you. I've never done it but it's pretty popular on message boards.

Here are a few places that have some heritage scrapping ideas:

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/gallery/list/?f=72&c=1
    http://www.acherryontop.com/gallery_show/,26,0/

And a bunch of articles:

http://www.scrapbook.com/articles/tech/244.html

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks nancy.....some great ideas.

Thanks for posting the info........love looking at creative things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Had a chat with a friend today. I have an additional problem with these photos and letters. Dad gave them to me...but my stepmom didn't want him too. He just remarried two years ago and these are old photos of the family. Anyway she raised such a stink, and then went around him to try and work on me alone, and left a note on the box of letters and photos. Dad was perturbed and told me he might have to ask for them back.

So I'm not sure I want to go to a lot of work for something that may end up in her hands. Dad thinks I'm just scanning them into the computer and making a small album of some originals for her. But I don't want to scan them unless they have information of who is in them and where they are attached to them. Any ideas how to deal with that?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Any way to ask her/discuss what she was going to do with them? (like maybe....what the $%#% do you want with them?)And possibly explain that you planned on 'preserving' them.....

I would FOR SURE scan the photos......and back it up too......the letters you can't do much about. The photos you can always do other things with.....even find out 'who' is in the pic.

what's her beef? just that he gave them to you?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Not sure what her beef is. She claimed they were "valuable". I'm not sure if she meant monetarily wise (she's admitted she married Dad for money...no prob as he's full aware of it!...he wants a nurse in his old age) or if she meant in terms of family history (she's an amateur genealogist). She does share some of Dad's family tree, but not the people in these photos.

Dad was a bit perturbed by her behaviour too...which is why I got them in the end.